GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

European Alpine 9" Infotainment...Will it work?

OtterlyClueless

Well let me begin by saying, "YES". The Alpine X902D-G7 (incl. variants i902D-G7, X901D-G7, i901D-G7) high-end audio and navigation system with 9" touch screen and Alpine Style trim that makes for seamless integration does indeed function properly if installed in the US version of the Mk7 GTI. If your Golf has the Fender audio system then the Alpine system will require an additional little black box to process the signal coming through the MOST cable.

I had been weighing my options on stereo upgrades for my 2015 GTI SE for some time. The best option kept coming up as the Alpine X901D-G7. Ebay has lots of units that seem similar, but I refuse to purchase electronics that are not made by a well known brand. The other systems also had no support for the wealth of standard car functions that are managed through the stock stereo.

There were quite a few forum posts on people speculating if the system would work when installed into the US spec Golf MK7, but not one was able to give concrete answers.

Unfortunately Alpine only sells this unit in European countries with no plans to bring it to the US. The unit is also quite expensive ranging from $1,000 to $1,600+ depending on the exact model and where it is purchased. In my case the Alpine i902D-G7 I purchased from a seller in Milan, Italy required an
extra $300 interface to function with my car's Fender branded audio.

I decided to take a leap of faith, typed in my cred card information, and waited.

I guess I can just make a list of some observations that people may be interested in.

• The official YouTube install video is rediculously fast and cuts out all of the cursing and bloodied knuckles
  • The install manual is rather vague and written for a European spec Mk7 which, come to find out, has a completely different center console that is worlds easier to work with than the US counterpart
  • The available wiring diagrams are also quite vague, but they'll get you there with the help of some general knowledge about electronics
  • The glove box quickly became the bane of my existence
  • The space that the wiring should pass through can't be accessed without removing the glove box completely, which requires the almost complete disassembly of the center console
  • Steering wheel buttons and gauge cluster aux screen both function without having to give it any thought
  • Best Buy will do a proper install (re-install in my case) for a very fair price
  • If a point comes that you consider cutting wire or plastic to install the system...DON'T!
  • SiriusXM radio is not supported in this system
  • Of course, European DAB radio is not supported
  • The factory GPS antenna will not connect without an adapter
  • If you have a Fender sound system it will require the APF-H100DY adapter which can process the fiber optic signal and power coming from the amp
  • If you have a 2015 or earlier model, you will have to purchase a new USB input terminal located inside the center console cubby hole/little garage door
  • The hardware will not accept a USB hub if you've thought about increasing your number of sources
  • The menu system needs some help. It is usable just not very intuitive which is a huge sin during an age that puts so much importance on user interface design
  • The official Alpine phone apps are garbage
  • Strangely, you can't set the time without the GPS antenna being plugged in

Thus far the only thing I have noticed just not working is the SiriusXM and subsequently the European DAB system. The two technologies are not compatible.
The adapter for the stock GPS antenna is on its way to me from China, but Alpine does include an external GPS antenna if you just can't wait that long.
I just spliced in a MicroBypass to get video in motion, but I haven't had a chance to test it out.

I will try to post some photos soon and will attempt to respond if anyone has a question I could help with.

OtterlyClueless

Wow...sounds like someone likes to have all the things LOL
Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is a front camera for? I can understand having a rear camera because of the fact that you do not have eyes in the back of your head, but front camera I don't understand.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
very interested in more of this

Does it sound any better than the old headunit? I have the fender audio system so I can compare.

OtterlyClueless

@ITGUY Well it took a pretty long time because I was under the impression that I'd be able to pop out the glove box just like in the video on youtube. After fooling with it for two evenings post-workday I gave up and brought it to Best Buy for them to install it properly. This involved dismantling the entire center console and the tech there was basically winging it until he figured out how to get at the proper screws to release the entire glovebox. German over-engineering at its finest.

I've never had a SiriusXM subscription so it is no loss for me, but that is sure to be different for each person.

To be clear this is not an Android head unit. It runs on its own OS and has Android Auto capabilities. You plug in your phone and it basically takes over as storage, remote, and navigation while it is mirrored on the screen. Once it is unplugged or you exit out with physical buttons it goes back to being a standard infotainment style system with the same functionality a stock VW system would have.

Your 2016 GTI should have Android Auto already if I'm not mistaken. If it does you'd basically only gain a larger screen.

My system didn't have Android Auto or Nav...and the tiny screen was painful when I knew I could have 9"....and that sounded really bad.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Alpine really hates a volume knob.

It’s a silly omission with all that bezel.

I have an Alpine ILX-107 in my 911 and I miss my volume knob.

OtterlyClueless

@Sir_Mk7r Almost exciting even...

@XM_Rocks I KNOW...I keep fumbling between the steering wheel controls and the buttons on the unit because I haven't gotten used to no knobs yet.

OtterlyClueless

My next DIY endeavor (that will hopefully go a bit smoother) is wrapping the roof and mirror caps black.

I actually purchased OEM black caps from deutscheautoparts.com, which are supposed to be delivered today. Then I got to thinking...Why spend $175 on two plastic shells when I can just wrap the white ones that are already on the car for maybe $20?

I have insomnia and get a little click happy in the wee hours of the morning.