GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Stage 2 and mis fires

chodeman07

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

Today I tried to do a 0-60mph pull and around 50 which was probably recline in 2nd, the car lost all power. Pulled over after 30 secondsand shut down. Checked for smoke out of the exhaust and the engine bay, nothing. Had EPC and check engine light on. When I started the car again, nothing was wrong.

The car had misfires on 1,3,4 cylinders and p0130a code for "hidden cylinder". Once again, running eurodyne stage 2 93 octane with revo high flow intake, downpipe, spulen turbo muffler delete and GFB dv+.

I emailed eurodyne regarding this to find out some stuff, but I'll ask here too as they're probably not working on the weekend before July 4th (I know they're a Canadian company) ;-)

-should I do what apr recommends for their stage 2 and use denso .024 ihk24 spark plugs?
+if I should change plugs, is daily driving like a normal person bad? I haven't had any issues in the other 2 weeks I've driven it, and driven it hard. This was just the first 0-60 launch control I've done. Also, I have not enabled the 2 step or whatever.
-Clearing the codes- is that bad because I already did that....
-I came from subaru where misfire usually indicates your engine is about to blow up. Did I fudge up my car royally? It's driving normally again.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rafycotto

Ready to race!
Hey all,

Today I tried to do a 0-60mph pull and around 50 which was probably recline in 2nd, the car lost all power. Pulled over after 30 secondsand shut down. Checked for smoke out of the exhaust and the engine bay, nothing. Had EPC and check engine light on. When I started the car again, nothing was wrong.

The car had misfires on 1,3,4 cylinders and p0130a code for "hidden cylinder". Once again, running eurodyne stage 2 93 octane with revo high flow intake, downpipe, spulen turbo muffler delete and GFB dv+.

I emailed eurodyne regarding this to find out some stuff, but I'll ask here too as they're probably not working on the weekend before July 4th (I know they're a Canadian company) ;-)

-should I do what apr recommends for their stage 2 and use denso .024 ihk24 spark plugs?
+if I should change plugs, is daily driving like a normal person bad? I haven't had any issues in the other 2 weeks I've driven it, and driven it hard. This was just the first 0-60 launch control I've done. Also, I have not enabled the 2 step or whatever.
-Clearing the codes- is that bad because I already did that....
-I came from subaru where misfire usually indicates your engine is about to blow up. Did I fudge up my car royally? It's driving normally again.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nick

Get denso spark plug and change the gas station

chodeman07

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the advice. Didn't even think about the gas. Because of convenience I filled it up with 93 octane at the local Navy base. Ewww, not doing that again.

And temperatures weren't bad at all, Like 77-80* with low humidity.

Morphine

Ready to race!
The same thing happened to me last week, misfires on all cylinders at redline…then limp mode. I also got an overboost code along with it.

Tonight I got thrown into limp mode again, but with different codes. I immediately flashed to the ST2, 91 tune when I got home.

There is something funky going on with the Eurodyne tune on my car. My car does not really like it, and it does not run well on the ST2, 93 tune. My GTI liked it, but the R hates it.

Limp mode is not good, and indicates to me there is something wrong with this tune on my car, and I am not willing to “wait and see” what the hell it is. If it happens again on the 91 tune I am pulling the plug and will get the APR ST2 installed or go back to the JB1. Limp mode is bad news, not like other CEL’s…this is the ecu protecting the motor from serious damage.

To top it off I am getting sick of driving around logging all the time trying to id problems.

SnowyLCR

Ready to race!
The same thing happened to me last week, misfires on all cylinders at redline…then limp mode. I also got an overboost code along with it.

Tonight I got thrown into limp mode again, but with different codes. I immediately flashed to the ST2, 91 tune when I got home.

There is something funky going on with the Eurodyne tune on my car. My car does not really like it, and it does not run well on the ST2, 93 tune. My GTI liked it, but the R hates it.

Limp mode is not good, and indicates to me there is something wrong with this tune on my car, and I am not willing to “wait and see” what the hell it is. If it happens again on the 91 tune I am pulling the plug and will get the APR ST2 installed or go back to the JB1. Limp mode is bad news, not like other CEL’s…this is the ecu protecting the motor from serious damage.

To top it off I am getting sick of driving around logging all the time trying to id problems.
When not throwing codes, is it a big difference between the jb1 and a stage stage 2 tune?

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Morphine

Ready to race!
In my opinion yes…..but

I was having a multiple problems with my car at the same time, none related to the JB unit (all sorted out now). Plus I only had it on for about 2 weeks, so I didn’t really get to play around with it all that much before I went ST2. I get the impression from other users like cupersteve that it is hella fast if done right.

The car goes like a bat out of hell on the ST2, 93…but no workie for me very well.

ST2, 91 works fine so far, not much difference to the 93…but it has been cold here lately.

Elite

Its not necessary to change plugs, unless your experiencing problem like yours.
So yes you should upgrade to colder step

checkdalevel2

I installed my Denso's on Sunday and have yet to experience the misfire.
then again the car only wants to misfire when I have some one in the passenger seat.

I also ordered the RS7 plugs.

I will run the densos for a month and see how it goes.

rafycotto

Ready to race!
just sharing info:

Like a couple people, Im getting a lot misfire too last week. So I bought RS7 spark plug (coming from BRISK spark plug). It was more smoother, so I was happy, then the moment to test in WOT and LC, misfire again but much less than Brisk.

I took out RS7 to re-gap from .028 to .025 but I broke one sparK. I had no more choice than put back BRISK, but re-gap it from .028 to .023 (APR recommended .024 +-.002). My .:R is a live again, Not misfire at all.

rscott4563

Ready to race!
just sharing info:

Like a couple people, Im getting a lot misfire too last week. So I bought RS7 spark plug (coming from BRISK spark plug). It was more smoother, so I was happy, then the moment to test in WOT and LC, misfire again but much less than Brisk.

I took out RS7 to re-gap from .028 to .025 but I broke one sparK. I had no more choice than put back BRISK, but re-gap it from .028 to .023 (APR recommended .024 +-.002). My .:R is a live again, Not misfire at all.

How did you regap a side firing spark plug??

(Referring to the RS7 OEM plugs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
You can't regap them without damaging them or breaking them. (RS7 plugs) The standard gap works great for our cars. Just drop them in. (general consensus).