GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne 1.5 done - What's next?

MatthewSP

First time post - I was just too giddy. So I "broke down" with my 3K mile '16 GTI and went w/Eurodyne+DSG, largely based on cost. After a 30 min test drive wowee ZOWEE!! I would never look back. I even got a run against a Camaro (base?) and took him by a car length at 65. Love love LOVE this 1.5 HTq 93O tune!

So the big question is what are the next priorities, if I can even stick to them..I do autox & rallyx so handling over perf should be key but you can see my thoughts don't always line up. I'm also a bit concerned about oil temps becoming an issue - Also anything that needs to be done to support the tune and engine/turbo longevity. My "wish" list, painfully ordered is below - I'm just curious if anyone else embarked on a similar path and how they prioritized between need/want/cost.

GFB DiverterValve
Turbo muffler delete - ECS
Front Sway - H&R
front sway end links - ?
Oil Catch can - ?
CAI - VWR or sim
High Flow Intercooler Charge Pipe
Front Camber adj Plates
Rear Camber adj Arms
Silicone hoses
Turbo Downpipe & Stage 2 Tune
Turbo inlet pipe
Intercooler Upgrade
High flow fuel pump
Differential - Wavetrac? (nonPP, diff story)
CoilOvers
BBK - Big brake kit / BLUE!
Exhaust - Catback

--DONE--
Skid plate - ECS
Engine/Trans/Dog mounts
Wheels/Tires (x2)
VWR Sport Coils
H&R Rear Sway
Rear adj end links
Red stuff pads
Eurodyne tune

Thanks for taking the time!

Last edited:

Zx2man

Ready to race!
I assume your running the dsg tune as well? My flash tool comes in saturday. After much research I settled on ED. Ill start off running the 1.5 93 oct map as well, but no dsg tune...so should hokd off on the HT. We just got 92oct here, so ill be adding lil e85 to run 93.

MatthewSP

Doh! Yes I did DSG..hard to go halfway..or just afraid not to. Definitely went ED against Uni because of comparable ratings, lower price, and always rooting for an underdog.

Gl on sat. Preprep your laptop like software install. Keep AC power to your laptop and heed warnings..don't knock the odbii out [emoji27] ..otherwise it was cake despite my anxiety.
I assume your running the dsg tune as well? My flash tool comes in saturday. After much research I settled on ED. Ill start off running the 1.5 93 oct map as well, but no dsg tune...so should hokd off on the HT. We just got 92oct here, so ill be adding lil e85 to run 93.

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Get a intercooler, down pipe, and a intake and flash to stage 2. If you're dsg get the tune or a clutch for 6MT before any other mod.

yosoydan

Ready to race!
Get a intercooler, down pipe, and a intake and flash to stage 2. If you're dsg get the tune or a clutch for 6MT before any other mod.

I second this. Also depends on your budget. I did the LSD (I have a non pp car also) and it was a game changer.

MatthewSP

Thanks! I hear you both, and have seen that trio said quite often. The immediate reaction is: But-but-but that's a minimum $1500 for *just* the intercooler/downpipe, and a really lengthy self install (for me). This also has a heavy perf focus per $, where I want to balance with handling. Also I could use $1500 and knock out a bunch of smaller things like front sway, camber kit, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it is good input because I've read those items over & over, so law of avgs says it is a good direction if cash flows...If I had 3K and purely perf desires I'd probably do the inter/dpipe/LSD/CAI..but I also really really want other handling kit mixed in..Ohh the agony right.

I second this. Also depends on your budget. I did the LSD (I have a non pp car also) and it was a game changer.

I may need to reconsider how to move a 1.1K LSD up the list.

yosoydan

Ready to race!
Thanks! I hear you both, and have seen that trio said quite often. The immediate reaction is: But-but-but that's a minimum $1500 for *just* the intercooler/downpipe, and a really lengthy self install (for me). This also has a heavy perf focus per $, where I want to balance with handling. Also I could use $1500 and knock out a bunch of smaller things like front sway, camber kit, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it is good input because I've read those items over & over, so law of avgs says it is a good direction if cash flows...If I had 3K and purely perf desires I'd probably do the inter/dpipe/LSD/CAI..but I also really really want other handling kit mixed in..Ohh the agony right.

I may need to reconsider how to move a 1.1K LSD up the list.

Totally understand. You stated your goals and it's smart to stick to your priorities. That said, whatever you do, don't cheap out, do your research, and be happy with your decisions!

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Honestly power wise your probably good2go for a while. For auto x rally. You seem to be a handling man, so do your thing and go after those mods.
I think that being said, once you raise boost this car needs a better IC bad.

Perry01

Ready to race!
Summer is right around the corner and depending where you live, auto X could get your IC heat soaked pretty fast. An Intercooler might be a wise decision.

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
If you're going around a track then an intercooler is a must. You will lose power within 10 seconds on wide open throttle on the stocker. The intercooler is hands down the best mod I have done so far. LSD is on my list or if someone will come out with a throttle body spacer with a meth bung haha.

MeatCat

Ready to race!
I am also eurodyne 1.5. I'm still pretty happy with the power.
I was really happy with the handling when I had PSS 245s on the car but no auto x plans for me.
I'd get an intercooler if you are gonna track it.

After that I'd drive it for a little bit and what you really want will become evident. Maybe you'll want more power. Go with with a downpipe, it's a huge difference jumping to stage 2.

But you might really want to tweak the handling more than add power. So take your time!

For me the upgrade path will be tires, intercooler, downpipe, inlet pipe, outlet pipe. In that order.

16gtiguy

Ready to race!
I know several have said it but if you are gonna autox you NEED an intercooler, i am stage 2 with out one and thought I was happy until a few days ago when i drove my buddies ed1.5 with an intercooler his pulled much harder than mine after a few pulls. Heat soak is real!

MatthewSP

All good feedback & appreciated. It seems pretty clear that IC definitely needs to be higher on my list to really leverage any tune. I had the impression from paper theory that stage 2 was the point but this small data set just affirms other threads that practically speaking the IC is a bottleneck even at 1.5

I am in TX and yes the summer heat is likely to negate a lot of the value of the tune, esp on autox. Even given that pulls are typically 10-20 the downtime in turns is likely never sufficient to allow enough cooling.

I've done much research in the past but the biggest gap I've had is HARD data for something like heatsoak on a typical AX run - It is non-existent that I find. Track data is clear of course, but a 50sec run with fair time off the pedal is likely just so different.

I almost think I am fighting the practical reality of this too given that the top ICs like IE are 800 or 900..eesh.."just" to cool air. heh.

MatthewSP

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of logic I am looking for. In my orig post I noted considerations for longevity.

I'll look thru that thread with a fresh eye for data pointing to decreased engine/turbo stress. That may make it rather obvious that 800 for IC, esp during summer is a no-brainer.

I also saw that IE may be doing a sale upcoming so all the easier to justify if they can offer 700-750 shipped - Then I just need to convince my aging body I can do the install. HA!

Last edited: