GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Yeah I guess I’m not really worried. Should I also do the tcu at the same time probably also? I noticed my car has Firestone Indy 500 tires on it; I wonder if the car has been tuned previously from the owner before me.
yes you should

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello all! I’ve had a Mk6 GTI and also a Mk7.5 and back in another Mk7.5 GTI. I’ve only been APR tuned and now looking into going stage 1 EQT ECU and possibly their TCU tune as well. Should I be worried about having issues going this route or should I stay “safe” and go with APR plus tune for peace of mind?
Unless you're planning on adding more mods and going after higher power levels it doesn't make sense to incur the cost of an Access Port and EQT tune.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Unless you're planning on adding more mods and going after higher power levels it doesn't make sense to incur the cost of an Access Port and EQT tune.
The way I read it is that he only has experience with APR on his past cars but is now considering going EQT. I agree though if you're already APR tuned and don't plan on going crazy to stick with APR.

j_rad91!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
The way I read it is that he only has experience with APR on his past cars but is now considering going EQT. I agree though if you're already APR tuned and don't plan on going crazy to stick with APR.
My apologies if I didn’t make sense. Yes I’ve only dealt with APR tunes. Stage 2 on a Mk6 and then their APR plus on a Mk7. Now I have a new (stock) GTI and looking at going stage 1 EQT possibly more down the road.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
My apologies if I didn’t make sense. Yes I’ve only dealt with APR tunes. Stage 2 on a Mk6 and then their APR plus on a Mk7. Now I have a new (stock) GTI and looking at going stage 1 EQT possibly more down the road.
Between Apr and eqt it’s eqt hands down. Performance is going to be similar between the two but with thr accessport you ca. always sell it later down the line if you are gonna sell or trade the car. Eqt is gonna have their sale soon where you can likely get their tune for free when you buy an accessport. Be sure to get the dsg unlock as well unless you’re manual.

j_rad91!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Between Apr and eqt it’s eqt hands down. Performance is going to be similar between the two but with thr accessport you ca. always sell it later down the line if you are gonna sell or trade the car. Eqt is gonna have their sale soon where you can likely get their tune for free when you buy an accessport. Be sure to get the dsg unlock as well unless you’re manual.
I also like the idea of being able to log and see more with using the accessport. I see the tunes are $75 off but still adds up to $1400

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I also like the idea of being able to log and see more with using the accessport. I see the tunes are $75 off but still adds up to $1400
Wait until they go on sale. And remember you can always sell the AP if you change cars or whatever reason.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
While they have a good reputation, if you’re worried you can go JB4 for the time being and then sell it when you’re ready for a real tune.
You'd be more likely to blow a motor with a JB4 than a stage 1 ots tune and VW is just as careful to check what was going on with your ECU for significant powertrain work, there's a lot more they can see besides your flash count.

j_rad91!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Thank you everyone! I’m exited. One more question. For this option: “Auto Up-Shift and Kick-Down in Manual Mode” do enabled or disabled? DSG here.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Thank you everyone! I’m exited. One more question. For this option: “Auto Up-Shift and Kick-Down in Manual Mode” do enabled or disabled? DSG here.
I'd do disabled. I don't like it auto shifting for me in manual mode

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Completely disables automatic shifting (when it's on--default behavior--if you push the pedal all the way down it will downshift and if you hold the throttle past the redline, it will automatically upshift). If you do this, you can lug the engine and bounce off rev limiter to your heart's content.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Disabled. If enabled, you’ll end up with double shifts Ex: WOT in 3rd gear and the TCU auto-up shifts at 6800, but you simultaneously pull the paddle for 4th and you end up in 5th.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
You'd be more likely to blow a motor with a JB4 than a stage 1 ots tune and VW is just as careful to check what was going on with your ECU for significant powertrain work, there's a lot more they can see besides your flash count.
I’m sure they’ll fine tooth comb it but there’s still not a single documented case that someone was denied a claim on this platform when it’s removed. The sensors never see anything other than what the stock ecu sees and commands. Trims can slightly change if someone buries the FOL for some reason but that’s worth playing the lotto for.