GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enable and Configure Advanced Bi-Xenon Lighting, MK7 Golf R

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Once I get to the last step it says I have halogens not Bi-Xenons. Has anyone else run into this issue? My car clearly doesn’t have halogens and never did.

Sent by raven from Castle Black

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
This is the problem I am running in to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
^^ That's bizarre. I'd try the RossTech support peeps on that one. Almost seems like it could be a VCDS bug?

Have an amazing member here helping out!

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Still no luck getting xenons to show as an option

nhatvcao

So to summarize a post from a few pages back, there are actual component differences inside the NA vs Europe Golf R headlights besides housing cosmetics? I'm talking about the advanced beam adjustment (with shutter or the AFS motor? Not sure) to leave out the space occupied by the oncoming car.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

nhatvcao

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
^^ That's bizarre. I'd try the RossTech support peeps on that one. Almost seems like it could be a VCDS bug?

This is the problem I am running in to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Since there isn’t a menu option to select the bi-xenon lights for some reason, on the newest version of VCDS.
Some people see this menu. I don’t -

All I did was manually change Byte 2 from 1A to 1B and HBA worked.
I assume Byte 2 needs to be 1D to enable “AFS, FLA, Fernlicht ueber AFS” for the advanced features to work(?).

Sent from Winterfell using Ravens.

Last edited:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Okay so *I think* the way to check if this coding has worked, and not just some placebo effect, is:
Come to a stop and leave the wheel pointed straight.
Turn on your right turn signal. If the cornering light comes on then advanced features are working.
Standard US coding only turns the cornering light on once the steering wheel is rotated.
Advanced lighting enables the cornering light with the turn signal before turning the wheel.
Another thing I’ve noticed is the lights spread a bit wider to illuminate the ditches (neighborhood streets lit by street lights, 35mph).
Also seems to keep the beam around license plate height when behind a car, dip the left beam when a car is coming the other way and the low beams appear to go farther than before.
Still not 100% sure whether these are placebos but hey.

Last edited:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Okay so *I think* the way to check if this coding has worked, and not just some placebo effect, is:
Come to a stop and leave the wheel pointed straight.
Turn on your right turn signal. If the cornering light comes on then advanced features are working.
Standard US coding only turns the cornering light on once the steering wheel is rotated.
Advanced lighting enables the cornering light with the turn signal before turning the wheel.
Another thing I’ve noticed is the lights spread a bit wider to illuminate the ditches (neighborhood streets lit by street lights, 35mph).
Also seems to keep the beam around license plate height when behind a car, dip the left beam when a car is coming the other way and the low beams appear to go farther than before.
Still not 100% sure whether these are placebos but hey.

Someone did it on here. Euro headlights a different harness and a few other things. Not sure if they were DLA though.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
My stock R did the cornering lights when stopped at a light with the wheel straight. Has nothing to do with the advanced lighting

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
My stock R did the cornering lights when stopped at a light with the wheel straight. Has nothing to do with the advanced lighting

With the Euro settings the xenons behave differently. At lower speeds the left headlight beam points down & far left (it’s kinda weird, like it’s broken) then straightens out above ~40mph or when coming to a stop.