GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuel design springs defect?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I've been chasing a annoying and very loud squeak/ creek in the front struts since I've installed ed springs about 2k miles ago. Car has 7k total.

Looks like the top coils are running causing the noise. Anyone else run into this?

Pics

Edit:
When I contacted them they tried to blame everything but the spring. They asked if I cut the bumpstops. I answered vaguely to see their response. They then said cutting them could product the coil catch, totally contradicting their diy video.

They then said t was impossible to have that binding as it would taken 90% coil compression!

"Based on your photos, it appears that your suspension is being overly compressed (indicating that the bump stops are trimmed well outside their functional height). In order for the top coil to contact the second, you will need to be above 90% of the spring's compression (outside of the recommended range for any spring). For our local installs, we typically trim the bump stops on non-sport cars (base Golf, etc.) as they are lowered around 1.8" and will sit on the bump stops. The Golf R, GTI, S3, etc. have shorter bump stops due to being a factory sport suspension car and trimming is not needed on these platforms (VW also updated them in 2016, introducing an even shorter design)."

I had to once agin prove that was a false statement by showing at static ride height the coil actually rests inside the coil below it. I simply took the wheel off and jacked up the suspension using the vehicle weight.

FYI my bumpstops have not been trimmed since day one.

Last edited:

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
In for replies. Did you replace the strut mounts or bearings when changing the springs?

Not changing them wouldn't have caused this but that was the reason I tore down the front today. I figured it was the top hats then I saw this.

Upon further research the s3 MQB platform had the same issues with these springs since day one. They have the nerve to sell these defective poorly made springs when they knew there was a problem.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Not changing them wouldn't have caused this but that was the reason I tore down the front today. I figured it was the top hats then I saw this.

Upon further research the s3 MQB platform had the same issues with these springs since day one. They have the nerve to sell these defective poorly made springs when they knew there was a problem.

It looks like you have there first springs there was a revision with the ED's in the beginning and they had solved it very quickly anyone that had bought the first ones got these in the mail

They ended up putting that rubber sheath around the spring

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Here's the old ones same marks

MKJIVE1

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm running the same springs and mine make quite a bit of noise with 034 strut mounts. I'll have to check for this same issue. I'd try contacting ED and see if they'd send you revised springs or at least the spring silenced rubber.

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there any concern that the springs will eventually rub through the rubber coating and squeak again?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
It looks like you have there first springs there was a revision with the ED's in the beginning and they had solved it very quickly anyone that had bought the first ones got these in the mail

Well that's nice lol. I purchased from them February 2017. I'm livid right now. So it's will be three installs to get this right, original, identify problem, reinstall.

So at average rate of $600 for install they carelessly put their customer out $1200.

I would love to get a lawyer involved here

Mustache, a rubber hose won't help you. The contact area is so small and the
surface pressure so huge, that any rubber would instantly frazzle. Rubber/PVC
hoses are fine when two complete coil sections are touching (bind).
In your case you'd need to dremel the end of the coil wire angularly/conically
to avoid the contact for a certainty and of course repaint these two patches.
Rust causes springs to break longterm.

I did the same in the past and it worked for me nicely. ;-)

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Mustache, a rubber hose won't help you. The contact area is so small and the
surface pressure so huge, that any rubber would instantly frazzle. Rubber/PVC
hoses are fine when two complete coil sections are touching (bind).

Lol who put a rubber hose on

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Is there any concern that the springs will eventually rub through the rubber coating and squeak again?

The new ones that ED sent I'll reinspect when my 034 strut and bearing comes in,look for wear marks but I dont see any issue

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Well that's nice lol. I purchased from them February 2017. I'm livid right now. So it's will be three installs to get this right, original, identify problem, reinstall.

So at average rate of $600 for install they carelessly put their customer out $1200.

I would love to get a lawyer involved here

Have you contacted ED about this, since posting or before? You seem pretty upset but I don't see where you've given the company a chance to help you.

Also I don't think you're flying to California, or paying a lawyer to sit in small claims over $1200. Just contact ED.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

This is your solution, and can very likely be done with the suspension on the car if you're careful and tape up for paint.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Have you contacted ED about this, since posting or before? You seem pretty upset but I don't see where you've given the company a chance to help you.

Also I don't think you're flying to California, or paying a lawyer to sit in small claims over $1200. Just contact ED.

Yes I have contacted them. They asked if I was using aftermarket braces and if I cut the bump stops. I responded and no response so far.

The solution to Dremel almost new $250 springs is not a solution I think is logical nor do I think a consumer should have to do that.

Posting on here is in the intent to stop anyone from making the mistake in purchasing from Emmanuel designs in the future so they don't go through the frustration and financial loss.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie

How is a rubber sheath supposed to hold up in the long term? Won't that just rub through...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk