GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emergency Braking

chebaroony

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all , my car has started to brake on its own when i get near to oncoming traffic or similar and there is no danger , at the same time it beeps at me and the emergency display light up red on the dash , scary stuff and im getting very wary now , can i turn this off ?

Gatwickba

I've got a GTD too, and mine works as advertised, has kicked in a few times when a car has been slower to turn in front of me than I anticipated, got the red warning and beeping. You can feel the brakes are primed. Also worked well on the motorway as emergency brake assist when the car in front of of me got cut up, the system didn't like how my braking foot was working, so applied more pressure which I was just about to do anyway! Saved me a few seconds and stopped me going into the car in front.
You can turn off the front assist feature, on the indicator stalk, there is a button on the end of it, press it inwards, the Mfd shows the front assist with a tick in the box, scroll down using the buttons on steering wheel, click ok and the tick goes away. Front assist and (I think) ACC will be disabled, but it resets each time you turn the car off.
Can also be disabled in the car menu on the touchscreen display, in there under one of the menus somewhere

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
If it is doing it that often you either have a problem with it of you are driving way too close to other traffic. Mine rarely comes on at all unless someone as said cuts me up or filters to one side or the other and it thinks a collision is imminent. May be worth getting your dealer to check it does not have a problem

matstand

Passed Driver's Ed
I think that the front radar works brilliantly for ACC and I've had the emergency braking kick in a few times, both usefully and not. personally I rate the system. I've got two questions.

1)has anyone actually managed to rear end another car, or has ACC genuinely saved them?
2) does anyone know enough about the system to know if it is vulnerable to outside influences? ie could a techy build a device that spoofs our radars into thinking that a car is really close and forcing it to brake?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have this system on my Audi and it works pretty well although I had 2 false stops in almost 3 years of use the fist one was something that flew in front of the car I think that it was a plastic bag nut I'm not sure and the car stopped then the second one was going up on a hill and there was one of those metal plates they use cover the streets when they are working on them I guess the car saw that as threat since it was placed on a hill I didn't fully stopped the car but just enough for me to be aware. I haver 2 dome radar things on my car you need to keep them clean and have the dealer check to see if they are aiming correctly

Also it will only work at certain speeds if you are about to crash and you have the windows and sunroof open it will close everything and prep brakes and seat belts, this actually happened to me once that a truck in front of me slowed down quickly and I got too close to the truck, warning came up the car stopped until I took over the brakes.

Last edited:

Hugo Nebula

Ready to race!
Hi all , my car has started to brake on its own when i get near to oncoming traffic or similar and there is no danger , at the same time it beeps at me and the emergency display light up red on the dash , scary stuff and im getting very wary now , can i turn this off ?
I've never had it with oncoming traffic, only traffic in the same direction.

As well as the usual cars turning left, it does it on my M-way exit, where the lane kicks out at the end and there's queuing traffic in the outer lane; before I turn the wheel it thinks I'm about to plough into them. However I'm used to it now.

Once you get used to it, it's like any other safety system; a good servant, but shouldn't take the place of manual control.

HXP

Ready to race!
On a slightly damp night on a very poor quality road, potholed and loose gravel approaching a vehicle from the rear the centre display on my golf showed ( filling the entire screen ) a car with ' radio waves ' I think meant to indicate the parking type sensors ( maybe ) popped up for an instant as I approached the car in front.

Never seen that icon before and going through the manual and searching on line couldn't find the same icon.

I am guessing is was stability control ?

Anyone else know where I can see all the icons the display shows - or knows what this icon was ?

My foot was covering the brake and I was slowing using engine braking so not sure if I pressed the brake or the car did as it was all over in a fraction of a second. Anyone know what it was ?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
On a slightly damp night on a very poor quality road, potholed and loose gravel approaching a vehicle from the rear the centre display on my golf showed ( filling the entire screen ) a car with ' radio waves ' I think meant to indicate the parking type sensors ( maybe ) popped up for an instant as I approached the car in front.

Never seen that icon before and going through the manual and searching on line couldn't find the same icon.

I am guessing is was stability control ?

Anyone else know where I can see all the icons the display shows - or knows what this icon was ?

My foot was covering the brake and I was slowing using engine braking so not sure if I pressed the brake or the car did as it was all over in a fraction of a second. Anyone know what it was ?

From the particular road conditions you describe and the symbol you mention sounds to me that the ESC intervened momentally.

Nyanga

Ready to race!
Mine works well and has alerted me on a few occasions when the traffic "suddenly" thickened and I have not been as alert as I should have been.