GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU re-map and secondary ECU control unit if warranty issues

s7wag

Ready to race!
Bit of a strange title...so I will try and explain...

I noted on ebay today a number of 'used' ECU control units up for sale which led me to start thinking about ECU re-maps and the risk of warranty exposure.

As we all know if you mess with the ECU it will register changes in the software dates, version etc even if you re-flash to standard, signs will remain leaving you exposed if you had to go for a warranty claim.

So my question (and maybe a stupid one as I'm unsure of the technical engine stuff) is if you had a second hand ECU control unit (same VAG part model number) and fitted that to your car would that then 'appear' to the technician as a standard car without modification and you'd be all clear for a warranty fix, or...would the original donor car settings be an issue?

Any clever VW guys out there?

Thanks

Steve

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
Been asked numerous times, don't work, or we would all have gone that route..

On other cars maybe, but not ours unfortunately.

mfractal

Ready to race!
Why wouldn't that work? With a immo defeat ecu should work fine. At least it does for mk6 and before.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
Trying to find post, it's been awhile. Basically, if I remember correctly, the car can only be paired/assigned to one ECU at any one time. If u get a different/secondary Ecu, that Ecu would have to be enabled by VW.

So in this scenario, u have two ECU'S, one kept as stock, the other would be ur TUNED ECU. For u to switch between the two, VW would have to enable it each time you switch......which of course would VOID warranty anyway cuz they would know what ur doing.

Believe me, I myself asked this question when I found out the 2016 models didn't have an available tune ( b4 APR cracked it).

Last edited:

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
Common sense would dictate this won't work as the Ecu would have to be coded/paired with the car which could only happen at a dealership.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Won't work as the security on swapping various control modules is harder as certain ones require the car being hooked up at dealers for FAZIT.

Ever IF this was not needed, you would still have to recode the CAN-Gateway to accept the serial number of the new ECU each time you swap them over & I think that a dealer would be able to diagnose that the ECU has been swapped over even if presented with car & original ECU.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
ECU replacement is a pretty involved job...quite a bit of labour not so much for he actual fitting but the enabling/coding afterwards.

I also guess the main dealer would detect the ECU change itself as it will no dout have some unique electronic ID built into it that cant be changed.

s7wag

Ready to race!
Thanks all! Pretty much as I expected...I did assume some re-coding would be a requirement and NOT via VCDS :) and as VWTURBO stated we'd all be doing it and there would be a lack of 'used' ECU units or increase in the second-hand prices :)