GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS off via button.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I'm sure he means Right Hand Drive in the road and not for the steering wheel. It's written like this in the Manual too...

yep - that's how I meant it!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave: My apology - I certainly didn't intend to confuse you. The wiring diagram that I have posted is from VW. I haven't changed the ESP button before, but it definitely says that the switch module 1 has a 10 pin connector. I can't explain why ETKA says that its a 12 pin connector.

OK now to your second question. The black/Yellow wire on pin 10 of the connector goes to the square box with the number "76" (as you say). In VW's wiring diagrams, a number inside a square box refers to the numbers on the horizontal line at the bottom of my pic.

Hope this makes sense - it's just the way that VW does their wiring diagrams.

You will see that the square box number "76" sits over "72" on the bottom line. If you go to "76" on the bottom line you will see the same black/yellow wire but this time with the square box "72". So square box "76" joins to square box "72". Eventually, this black/yellow wire goes to fuse position 34 on the "C" fuse box (via the dash panel wiring harness - see circle "A38"). "C" fuse panel is the one in the cabin (it's behind the glove-box on RH Drive cars and its on the Left side of the steering wheel on LH Drive cars). I've shown a pic of LH drive car below showing its location.

So, the complete circuit for ESP on/off switch is: +12V supply from fuse 34 via a black/yellow wire to the ESP switch on the centre console (in the dash wiring loom). From the ESP switch, a purple/green wire goes to the ABS controller via "T17d" connector on the "TIUL coupling point" (the location of both of which I have shown in the pic below). When the ESP switch is "ON", it provides a +12V signal to pin 39 of the ABS Control module (i.e. J104)

Thanks for that...................

hopefully the button module will turn up this week & I will do a write up & put loads of other info on.........

I worst case I have to run a wire from the switch to the coupling point on the passenger footwell (uk cars)..........I'll also write up what needs to be done in VCDS

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do you know the part number for the console with the ESP button? (German car, right hand drive)

The buttons are the same for left or right hand drive cars as in same position & the extent of the button module is just the buttons & trim between the buttons

15 5G1927137N control panel with pushbuttons; with button marking/s:; 'eco start-; stop'; 'MODE'; PR-A8B,A8C,; A8F 1
15 5G1927137P control panel with pushbuttons; with button marking/s:; 'eco start-; stop',; 'MODE'; 'ESP'; PR-A8B,A8C,; A8F 1
15 5G1927137R control panel with pushbuttons; with button marking/s:; 'ESP'; PR-A8B,A8C,; A8F 1
15 5G1927137S control panel with pushbuttons; with button marking/s:; 'eco start-; stop',; 'ESP'; PR-A8B,A8C,; A8F 1
15 5G1927137T control panel with pushbuttons; with button marking/s:; 'eco start-; stop'; PR-A8B,A8C,; A8F 1
15 5G1927137AA control panel with pushbuttons; with button marking/s:; 'MODE','ESP'; PR-A8G,A8H,; A9R 1
Add WZU to the end of the code for satin black buttons with/alum trim between them (Highline (GT), GTI, R)
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-va...board-switches-in-central-console-sun-sensor/

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave:
OK now to your second question. The black/Yellow wire on pin 10 of the connector goes to the square box with the number "76" (as you say). In VW's wiring diagrams, a number inside a square box refers to the numbers on the horizontal line at the bottom of my pic.

Hope this makes sense - it's just the way that VW does their wiring diagrams.

You will see that the square box number "76" sits over "72" on the bottom line. If you go to "76" on the bottom line you will see the same black/yellow wire but this time with the square box "72". So square box "76" joins to square box "72". Eventually, this black/yellow wire goes to fuse position 34 on the "C" fuse box (via the dash panel wiring harness - see circle "A38"). "C" fuse panel is the one in the cabin (it's behind the glove-box on RH Drive cars and its on the Left side of the steering wheel on LH Drive cars). I've shown a pic of LH drive car below showing its location.

So, the complete circuit for ESP on/off switch is: +12V supply from fuse 34 via a black/yellow wire to the ESP switch on the centre console (in the dash wiring loom). From the ESP switch, a purple/green wire goes to the ABS controller via "T17d" connector on the "TIUL coupling point" (the location of both of which I have shown in the pic below). When the ESP switch is "ON", it provides a +12V signal to pin 39 of the ABS Control module (i.e. J104)

just had my switch's out & half the surrounding trim!!

Now I have no pin 9 or pin10 wires!!..................so according to the wiring diagram you provided pin 10 goes to A38 positive connection 2 (15a) in dash panel...where is this connection??

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
just had my switch's out & half the surrounding trim!!

Now I have no pin 9 or pin10 wires!!..................so according to the wiring diagram you provided pin 10 goes to A38 positive connection 2 (15a) in dash panel...where is this connection??

Golfdave: Hi, and I'm happy that you were able to source the console switch - does it have a 10, or 12 pin connection?

Before I proceed and please don't take this the wrong way but I have to say (again) that the wiring diagram in my previous post is a replica from VW's database (it's not my wiring diagram that I put together from my guess at how the ESP switch works). I provided the wiring diagram as a courtesy in answer to a forum member's question.

The only change that I have made to VW information is to show on the one diagram how pin 9 of EX23 is connected to J104. This modification to VW's original diagram was a simple cut-and-paste- so I have made no change to the data in VW's circuit description. Had I not done this, I would have needed to post multiple picture of the ESP circuit which would have just complicated the reader's understanding (IMO). I think that the diagram is easier to read because all of the information is contained in the one picture. My motivation in highlighting these points is just to make sure that we both understand the responsibility that I take in your project. That said, I'd like to help if I can!

OK, back to your question. It's not surprising that the purple/green wire is not present in your car. The days of car manufactures installing standard looms in their cars with un-used wires are long gone! And, I suspect that the revelation came as no surprise to you - given the last line in your previous post #79.

To help with your A38 question, I have included below an extract from VW's training material on wiring diagrams. It shows how VW describes connections such as circled A38 on my previous pic. As you will read, these are soldered connections within the wiring loom. From the other wiring diagrams that I have for the mk7, it appears that A38 is a significant connection in the dash panel loom as it's mentioned in a number of circuits.

Again, this is your project, but why try to find this point in the wiring loom in the first place? My experience has been that soldering a new wire to these points is invariably difficult! Getting good access to make the solder joint is often tricky and re-insulating the finished joint is messy!

Instead, why not connect to pin 11 of T12am (assuming that you already have auto-hold switch on the console)? If you don't have this switch, tell me what switches you do have on the centre panel, and I will try to find an alternative point for you in my wiring diagrams.

Edit: the one thing that worries me about your project is how you tell the ABS controller that you have connected an ESP switch to it. I've just had a look at the adaptation channels and the coding string settings in address 03 ABS control module. There appear to be no ESP switch related entries in any of the adaptation channels. I would have suspected that I would find this facility in the Coding string. The problem is that RT's software currently doesn't provide support for the Byte settings for 03 ABS module using the Long Coding Helper. So I have no idea which Byte/Bit does what! Not certain that you would need to do a VCDS tweak, but it's normally required when adding a new wire to the BCM. Sorry that I can't be of more help here- perhaps someone else here has some information that would be of assistance

Attachments

• HRWD.jpg
    HRWD.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 3,596
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave: Hi, and I'm happy that you were able to source the console switch - does it have a 10, or 12 pin connection?

Edit: the one thing that worries me about your project is how you tell the ABS controller that you have connected an ESP switch to it. I've just had a look at the adaptation channels and the coding string settings in address 03 ABS control module. There appear to be no ESP switch related entries in any of the adaptation channels. I would have suspected that I would find this facility in the Coding string. The problem is that RT's software currently doesn't provide support for the Byte settings for 03 ABS module using the Long Coding Helper. So I have no idea which Byte/Bit does what! Not certain that you would need to do a VCDS tweak, but it's normally required when adding a new wire to the BCM. Sorry that I can't be of more help here- perhaps someone else here has some information that would be of assistance

Did you get my pm's yesterday?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
golfdave said:
know that you say connect to the autohold switch but it appears a bit of a PITA to get it out & gain access to the wiring to the connector.

However....

I have lower centre console trim off (passenger side for UK, drivers side USA/Europe) & noticed a big bundle of wires running down from the dash & along this side of centre console. Now I traced the existing wires from the 10pin connector for mode/ss/esc to this bundle, I also noticed that this bundle continues down to the side & the only other items are the electric handbrake, autohold switch, cig/12v socket. I noticed a thicker red/green in this bundle which must be the + for the 12V............& a single black/yellow!! This must be the one for the autohold! If so then I can access this easy just behind the gearstick/front storage area from the side.

Would you have a wiring loom layout diagram to confirm loom routing for this side & colours of wires for this side so I could double check

Dave: Yes I did although I'm not sure that I understood all that you said!. I hope that the extract above is the important bit.

OK, I've put together the pic below from a couple of pages of the VW wiring diagrams. What I've tried to do is to show the way that the red/green wire is electrically related to the A38 point. So as not to confuse you anymore than I need to, I have stripped off all the information that doesn't apply to this matter.

As you can see, "A38" is a central point from where lots of wires emanate. Note that all the wires that join to A38 are BLACK/YELLOW! I've deliberately shown the connection to Ex23 (the switch module in the centre console) so you can line-up both my previous wiring diagram and this one.

So here's the way that it works- Fuse 34 is a switched supply (when the ignition is turned-on) - that's why this point is labelled "(15a)" in my previous wiring diagram. Fuse 34 is connected directly to A38 and it also supplies the coil of the relay J807. As you can see the contacts of this relay switches-on +12Volts to the power socket (i.e. U19) on the console via the red/green wire. This is why the +12Volt power socket also comes on when the ignition is switched on. The second SC40 in the diagram (on the extreme RHS) refers to an option in the "C" fuse Box where SC40 can be moved to another position so that +12V is permanently applied to the 12Volt socket (there's a thread on this forum about making these sockets permanently +12Volts). I ASSUME THAT YOU HAVEN'T MOVED THE POSITION OF SC40 ON YOUR CAR.

So, the Red/green wires is OK to use for your project (IMO), but the Black/yellow wire in the bunch is even better - I think. What I would do is get a multimeter and the smallest sewing needle that you can find. Pierce the black/yellow wire so that the sewing needle penetrates the copper strands. Turn on the ignition and see if you get +12Volts on the sewing needle only when the ignition is on. If you do, I'd use the Black/yellow wire because this wire is directly connected to A38

PS: Please read the EDIT note on my previous post. Do you have any ideas about this?

Hope this all makes sense.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave: Yes I did although I'm not sure that I understood all that you said!. I hope that the extract above is the important bit.

moved to another position so that +12V is permanently applied to the 12Volt socket (there's a thread on this forum about making these sockets permanently +12Volts). I ASSUME THAT YOU HAVEN'T MOVED THE POSITION OF SC40 ON YOUR CAR.

So, the Red/green wires is OK to use for your project (IMO), but the Black/yellow wire in the bunch is even better - I think. What I would do is get a multimeter and the smallest sewing needle that you can find. Pierce the black/yellow wire so that the sewing needle penetrates the copper strands. Turn on the ignition and see if you get +12Volts on the sewing needle only when the ignition is on. If you do, I'd use the Black/yellow wire because this wire is directly connected to A38

PS: Please read the EDIT note on my previous post. Do you have any ideas about this?

Hope this all makes sense.

That's helpful....:)....& glad you could understand my pms............:eek:

No I have not moved the fuse (permanent 12v on)..........

I do want to wire as much OEM & had thought of testing the blk/yellow wire as per your suggestion (done this many a time)....then easy to remove fuse 34 so wire should be dead & no operation of autohold.

AS for VCDS...................I think it could be in the 09 central electric.........I have a full copy of the car from factory & 1900ish lines.........:(............masses of activate things in the media unit which you wouldn't expect to find there so a lot to look through...........or I could compare a UK GTI which has the same button as standard & look at the long coding & compare...............to many options really.......more concerned about getting the hardware done & trim back!!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Before visiting a dragstrip I would care about engine mounts first. Frequent hard
launches and wheel hop will destroy them (and thus the flex part of the DP).

Whackamac

Ready to race!
Finally went and got the APR 1.2 flash today and used the dealer's cable to enable the 06 mode. FINALLY, the car is drivable!!!:cool:

I promptly went to the nearest empty parking lot, wracked the wheel, hit the ebrake, and spin away!!!! yay!!! And for all of you negative-nancys, you can turn it back on if you need it. I don't.

Now I cannot wait until spring when the tracks thaw out.

Esc sport and off both disable asr.

Yup. That is why I chose 06. It is like my old Focus ST's button now. I love the special <ding> it gives when going into psycho (fun) mode.... ASR off does very little compared to ESC sport IMO.

Before visiting a dragstrip I would care about engine mounts first. Frequent hard
launches and wheel hop will destroy them (and thus the flex part of the DP).

This is true. At LEAST do the lower (dogbone) mount. It is a world of difference. BFI makes some of the best mounts I have used. Give them a try...