GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG tunes compatible With Cobb AP

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Currently getting my DSG tuned by Malone, who isn't have my files on hand to write the tune for me. Had a little slippage in 4TH In drive mode. Have been told once a DSG slips its not recoverable, but wanted to see what everyone else is running DSG tune wise with their Cobb Protunes.

A lot of DSG tunes say they only work with that tuners ECU tune, yadda YADDA.

Options seem to be GIAC, APR, Revo, UM, United, EuroDyne, who else am I missing and who does everyone like for what reasons?? Revo confirmed it will "most likely work" with a Cobb pro tune but they didn't want to admit it 100%. GIAC said the same. Malone said they feel very confident in helping out my situation and making other adjustments I've requested.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I don't see why any DSG tune would be incompatible with any ECU tune. The ECU targets torque and tells the DSG how much torque it's going to make. As long as the DSG tune allows that much torque, it gives the ECU the thumbs up and applies an appropriate amount of clamping pressure to hold that torque. With early ED DSG tunes for instance, they only allowed 400 crank torque, which in turn would limit ECU torque targeting to 400. Once they updated the DSG tune, crank torque limits increased and so did power.

I think the problem is that the OEM DSG programming allows too much torque without increasing clamping pressure to handle all that extra torque.

APR is highly regarded and probably the best DSG tune. I'd take it easy for a couple weeks though and hope the clutch pack isn't getting too glazed up before getting on it again.

Cobb said they'd be coming out with their own DSG tune sometime around the end of Q1.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Hmmm Time for more research I guess. I drive it moderately 95% of the time and last time I felt it, I was making a right turn off of a 25mph road, eased back into light throttle to start normally onto a straigh away and it happened.

Anyone know if you can log trans data with obdeleven?

I don't see why any DSG tune would be incompatible with any ECU tune. The ECU targets torque and tells the DSG how much torque it's going to make. As long as the DSG tune allows that much torque, it gives the ECU the thumbs up and applies an appropriate amount of clamping pressure to hold that torque. With early ED DSG tunes for instance, they only allowed 400 crank torque, which in turn would limit ECU torque targeting to 400. Once they updated the DSG tune, crank torque limits increased and so did power.

I think the problem is that the OEM DSG programming allows too much torque without increasing clamping pressure to handle all that extra torque.

APR is highly regarded and probably the best DSG tune. I'd take it easy for a couple weeks though and hope the clutch pack isn't getting too glazed up before getting on it again.

Cobb said they'd be coming out with their own DSG tune sometime around the end of Q1.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
That's weird man, slipping under light throttle is not normal. Can you back out the Malone tune and go back to stock? The other things you can try are DSG adaptations and fluid change.