GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG or 6-speed automatic?

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
So I was looking into getting a DSG tune for my '16 1.8T and the guy told me that the 1.8Ts only have a 6-speed automatic--not a DSG transmission.

How can I easily determine what kind of transmission I have? I was under the impression that I had a DSG this entire time!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You have a regular old boring automatic, as well as all of the automatic 1.8T's in america. Last time I checked the only 1.8T with a DSG is one particular trim of the beetle. Also, I've never driven a DSG, but I think that you can tell the difference for certain when you're at a stop and let off the brake. I think the dsg will just sit there and a regular automatic will roll forward.

returnofthemac

I can't speak for the 1.8T in the US but as far as I'm aware all newer VW autos over here in the UK are DSG. Even my 1.4T is. Also DSG does also creep off at the lights, those fitted with electronic handbrakes will have hill assist meaning they will engage the brakes at any stop for you.
If the top of your auto gear stick doesn't have DSG written on it somewhere, I would be sure that's a good indication it's just a plain auto box.

sparky

Passed Driver's Ed
There is no DSG 1.8t golf in the US. It would say so on the top of the gear lever anyways. I kinda wish it was standard, but they have to cut some costs somewhere.

Bikebits

Ready to race!
I have a 6MT in my TDI Golf wagon and test drove a DSG model before making the decision. I found the DSG wasn't always prepared to make the correct shift when I wanted it. Under heavy acceleration the linear sequential shifts were flawless and super-quick. In some situations though there could be a bit of a lag when the DSG anticipated an up-shift when a down-shift was needed, or vice-versa.

My wife had a Mk V Jetta with the 6 speed automatic. That was the best automatic of any car I had driven to that point. My TSI '16 Beetle has the same engine and Tiptronic automatic as the 1.8 Golf. I know many will consider it heresy, but I prefer the Tiptronic to the action of the DSG I drove.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
In the US, only the 1.8t, 2.5, 1.4t, tiguan (with gen2 tsi gti motor) have slushbox, rest have dsg (tdi, 2.0t, vr6). This is due to cost cutting in US. Whereas you can get 7 speed dsg in a 140 hp Golf in ROW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I have a 6MT in my TDI Golf wagon and test drove a DSG model before making the decision. I found the DSG wasn't always prepared to make the correct shift when I wanted it. Under heavy acceleration the linear sequential shifts were flawless and super-quick. In some situations though there could be a bit of a lag when the DSG anticipated an up-shift when a down-shift was needed, or vice-versa.

My wife had a Mk V Jetta with the 6 speed automatic. That was the best automatic of any car I had driven to that point. My TSI '16 Beetle has the same engine and Tiptronic automatic as the 1.8 Golf. I know many will consider it heresy, but I prefer the Tiptronic to the action of the DSG I drove.

The auto's on mk5's vs mk6 and 7 are tuned differently. My friend had a 2.5 inline5 Jetta (standard petrol motor in US), basically the trans was tuned for performance. Then she got a mk6 jetta same engine, and it was tuned for fuel economy, meaning it rushes to 6th gear at 35-40 mph. Same goes for her current 1.8t.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
This is why they have a D and an S mode on the dsg now. Yep, D is too rapid at changing up, and S is too rapid at changing down; then the flappy paddles get ignored unless the gearbox agrees with your assertion that it's time to change. Fair to say I just didn't get on with it.

Slick99

Ready to race!
i have A3 1.8tfsi 7spd dsg, its smooth and quick....good in fuel economical

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The auto's on mk5's vs mk6 and 7 are tuned differently. My friend had a 2.5 inline5 Jetta (standard petrol motor in US), basically the trans was tuned for performance. Then she got a mk6 jetta same engine, and it was tuned for fuel economy, meaning it rushes to 6th gear at 35-40 mph. Same goes for her current 1.8t.

My first car was gonna be my sisters 08 Jetta tilt tonic and 17 y/o me was beside myself. Then she wrecked it 3 weeks before I was gonna buy it. Researching the mk6 Jetta, I was so excited when I saw it had same engine/trans... Then I actually got the car. Trans logic was deplorable and the whole car just sucked compared to the mk5

bacisface

Car(s)
2016 Golf S with sun
Holy cow, I thought I had a DSG this whole time too! I don't know how or why I've been under that assumption and I don't know how I feel about not having the DSG, other than disappointed in my ignorance. Crazy.

billykeith

Passed Driver's Ed
My wife had a dual clutch transmission in a 2012 Focus. I believe that was the first year for that tranny in a US Focus. At first it was great but then at about 8000 miles it started to jerk badly at lower speeds, sometimes would feel like it would stall from takeoffs at stops, got real noisy like you were driving around a can of loose marbles, the seals would leak on the dry clutches causing issues. It was just a nightmare. Before that car was two years old we had two dry clutch replacements and numerous "reprograms" done and it would correct the problem for a couple thousand miles only to start up again. At that time Ford could not guarantee us that they would stand behind this new transmission after warranty period was over. We got rid of the car, of course before Ford extended the warranty on that tranny to 100,000. So I am not a fan of dual clutch transmissions.