GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Driving Modes

SeanGunn007

I see zero contradiction.

Pushing the button to turn on sport driving mode the first time "helps out" by also switching the transmission to S.

I want you to consider how the shifter behaves outside of pressing the driving mode button. Let's say you have driving mode in "normal" or "comfort", and you turn on the car and shift into drive. The transmission is in D, right?

Then you pull back the shifter and release it. The driving mode is still in "comfort" or "normal"--that hasn't changed--but now the transmission is in S.

The transmission setting is completely independent of the driver mode setting, with one small exception: the first time you move it out of comfort or normal and into Sport, it "helps" you by also moving the transmission into S.

But that is an anomaly, a thing that happens ONLY under that specific circumstance. Otherwise, there's no connection between "it's already in Sport driving mode" and "I just shifted it into Drive after coming out of the restaurant".

Zero contradiction.

Yes--and that's exactly what the owner's manual says, your denial of the facts notwithstanding.

You really, REALLY want it to behave in a way that it doesn't behave. That doesn't mean the way it *does* behave is "mysterious" or "contradictory".

The world is what it is in this matter. Accept it. Do not continue to overthink it or deny it.

Jesus, man, I was looking for an explanation of what was happening so I'm clear on how it works. I don't know a lot about how transmissions work (obviously), which is why I posted the question to this forum. I was under the impression the members help each other out if they are stuck on something and have questions.

I specifically said this is my second MK7 and my last one behaved the same way so I assumed there wasn't something wrong.

I appreciate your explanation, but your attitude sucks. You answered my question then went on to tell me how I'm trying to make my car work as if I'm a child. I'm trying to UNDERSTAND how my car works.

I was simply wondering why the trans seemed to go back into drive when it was in Sport mode. I now understand that the Sport mode selection holds all of the sport mode characteristics EXCEPT the transmission.

And for what it's worth, the manual says the trans "may return to Drive"... That's not clear. It should say that the trans "will return to Drive." That wasn't an attack on you, even though it seems you took it that way. I'm assuming you didn't write the manual.

I'm not going to waste my time looking, but I'm guessing that the manual doesn't say that the headlights "may" turn on when you engage the switch or that the window "may" roll down when you press the switch.

I hope you have a job that doesnt involve dealing with people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
You read the owner's manual but tried your hardest not to believe it, despite it clearly saying exactly what would happen.

You can understand how your car works by reading what the manufacturer says and observing the behavior. Does it match up? Good. There's your understanding.

Like I said, wanting it to be another way, and wanting it so badly that you want not to believe what you read and see, are two different things. I get it that you'd like the transmission mode to be linked to the MIB settings. It's not, and VW says it's not--and goes on clearly to outline the behavior. OK, then.

You can hang on to the word "may" as hard as you want, but you never saw it NOT return to D when you turned the car off and then back on.

I think you'd be surprised at how often the owner's manual uses the word "may"--because it covers everything from the base Golf to the R, complete with the wide variety of installed options.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Well, that's a valid question and is separate from it behaving exactly like VW documents it to behave.

Some things you have to take on face value.

Thanks for the validation, and for the advice, Dad...

SeanGunn007

The only person who is trying really hard to believe something is you. You're trying really hard to believe that I'm attempting to reengineer my car or that I'm inferring that the system is stupid and poorly designed.

Again, I was trying to understand how it works. I didn't sit in my driveway turning my car off and back on again, looking to see what the trans did. I noticed something seemed inconsistent, and it seems I've made a big mistake in trying to ask for a little more explanation.

When you read the two pages on the driving modes, the part you're referencing is one small paragraph at the end of all of the explanations of what the modes do. I wasn't even sure it was switching back into drive, it just felt different.

I don't know why this question seems to offend you so much. If you're this bothered by my question, maybe don't answer it.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Don't think too much into what adam1991 whatever is saying.

Germans aren't known for the easiest to use software menus from anyone who is in the know =) my benz has stupid quirks like that too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Truly though my salesman told me exactly what you guys confirmed about the modes before i drove off but it was so stupid I thought he was just wrong or misinformed lol

SeanGunn007

Don't think too much into what adam1991 whatever is saying.

Germans aren't known for the easiest to use software menus from anyone who is in the know =) my benz has stupid quirks like that too.

Ha! There is truth in that. We had a '16 Toureg that had layers of menus you had to get through to do the simplest things. I'm actually happy that the GTI is as basic as it is.

I've noticed that sometimes engineers are really good at making something work, but they're not always great in interpreting and anticipating how it's used in the real world.