GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driveshaft front coupling damage from incorrect sway bar.

RLynch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Long story short, store sold me a GTI sway bar by mistake and now its been grinding against the driveshaft front coupling. Good news is they are going to be replacing it with the correct sway bar for free along with installation but I am worried about the damage to the coupling. I am requesting them to replace it as well but in the meantime should I be worried about this part? I dont want it to grind through but I need to drive the car to commute for work. I dont know the internal thickness of this metal outer ring to know if I should be worried about me basically grinding off a loose metal ring if it goes all the way through.

20231203_190409359_iOS.jpg

20231203_190733884_iOS.jpg

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Personally I'd replace the bar and not worry about it. Not enough material has been chewed up to really make a difference in my mind. But I wouldn't drive it though, no sense it furthering the damage.

RLynch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Personally I'd replace the bar and not worry about it. Not enough material has been chewed up to really make a difference in my mind. But I wouldn't drive it though, no sense it furthering the damage.
Yeah I am trying to drive it as little and as easily as possible.

Reactions: krs

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
What diameter was the sway bar?