GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Virtual Cockpit Retrofit MK7 (aliexpress version)

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Bit the bullet and placed the order! FYI, for this (or anything else off aliexpress) google for aliexpress discount codes before you buy! I was able to get $50 off this time around

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Bit the bullet and placed the order! FYI, for this (or anything else off aliexpress) google for aliexpress discount codes before you buy! I was able to get $50 off this time around
Awesome!! Let us know how it goes, if any issues, just give a holler!
I still feel the pain from removing the dashtrim :D

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
This AliExpress cluster also has a another cool view (see pic) and I found that it will start flashing red when your shift point approaches. However the rpm appears to be too low where this happens at around 4000 pm instead of 6000'ish. I think that is a little software bug in this cluster since it also supports VW diesel cars with lower rpm. It is not a big deal but I just wanted to mention it in case it pops up in your cluster. Or perhaps yours won't do it if that particular bug is fixed depending on the cluster firmware version.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224_084054_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_084054_Gallery.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I posted in my build thread and forgot to report back here! Mine has the same issue too with all of the sport gauges, I messaged the seller about it, but like you said it's likely programmed for diesel cars so it is what it is. No bigee though, overall really happy with the unit!

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I posted in my build thread and forgot to report back here! Mine has the same issue too with all of the sport gauges, I messaged the seller about it, but like you said it's likely programmed for diesel cars so it is what it is. No bigee though, overall really happy with the unit!

Awesome, congrats man and welcome in the digital age!
By the way, in the last pic, you can change both left and right hand sub screens I noticed. I really enjoy my digital cluster, it brings back that new feeling of the car. How is the screen mirroring working for you, does it reset after 20min or so?

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
If you enabled race mode innthe cluster settings (set to ON), a race section shows up and what you have to do is come to a stop, press ok and then it will time your 0-60 time, all along while a cool animation of your car is racing, with background moving.

I think it only shows up if you go to the cluster settings and upgrade the firmware under the WiFi settings. It installed an upgrade which was apparently provided by the seller and stored on the cluster itself.

You can also change the background in the center to a city skyline, the desert and snowy mountains to name a few.

1000042760.jpg

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Awesome, congrats man and welcome in the digital age!
By the way, in the last pic, you can change both left and right hand sub screens I noticed. I really enjoy my digital cluster, it brings back that new feeling of the car. How is the screen mirroring working for you, does it reset after 20min or so?
how does one change the right hand sub screen? The screen mirroring is working well so far! initially, it would disconnect after about a minute or so, but I drove around with it connected for close to an hour and it was trouble free. I'm using the usb connection with an android device that's not paired to the car. Only thing I noticed was audio was coming through the phone not the car, but for my purposes I wasn't concerned. I activated the race mode, just haven't given it a go yet, mine also has an engineering mode but I can't work out what that's for

Simostools screen mirrored

Some youtube lol

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
how does one change the right hand sub screen? The screen mirroring is working well so far! initially, it would disconnect after about a minute or so, but I drove around with it connected for close to an hour and it was trouble free. I'm using the usb connection with an android device that's not paired to the car. Only thing I noticed was audio was coming through the phone not the car, but for my purposes I wasn't concerned. I activated the race mode, just haven't given it a go yet, mine also has an engineering mode but I can't work out what that's for

Simostools screen mirrored

Some youtube lol
1000042792.jpg

In order to change the left side in that screen, hold the ok button for several seconds and the view adjust will jump from the left side to the right side. Same principle going back to the left side again.

My direct USB connection was not working, but perhaps that is because I also had the wifi connection going. With wifi connection to the screen mirror, the phone can simultaneously connect to android auto as well and youtube audio will go over the car stereo, while watching in the dash!

Over wifi the screen mirror didn't stay stable for more than 20min or so for me.

Oh yes Engineering mode, I have yet to see what that does, didn't find any reference to it anywhere.

and I noticed that your cluster has the same little bug where pm shows up in the incorrect position as well. Kinda funny and no big deal. Also shows that these clusters ship with the same firmware. I doubt that we will ever see a sw update but I'm fine with that since many of these features don't come on the oem cluster anyway. All just icing on the cake.

1000042793.jpg

Attachments

• 1000042789.jpg
    1000042789.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
In order to change the left side in that screen, hold the ok button for several seconds and the view adjust will jump from the left side to the right side. Same principle going back to the left side again.

My direct USB connection was not working, but perhaps that is because I also had the wifi connection going. With wifi connection to the screen mirror, the phone can simultaneously connect to android auto as well and youtube audio will go over the car stereo, while watching in the dash!

Over wifi the screen mirror didn't stay stable for more than 20min or so for me.

Oh yes Engineering mode, I have yet to see what that does, didn't find any reference to it anywhere.

and I noticed that your cluster has the same little bug where pm shows up in the incorrect position as well. Kinda funny and no big deal. Also shows that these clusters ship with the same firmware. I doubt that we will ever see a sw update but I'm fine with that since many of these features don't come on the oem cluster anyway. All just icing on the cake.
Yeah there's certainly a few bugs here and there in the software, but I'd agree they're all minor. Leaps and bounds ahead of the original units that were around a couple years ago from what I've read.

How did you do the wireless screen mirroring? I got the phone connected to the dash's wifi, but couldn't get any further. Granted I'm android illiterate haha

Tried changing the left side of the screen, wow that's awesome haha

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Yeah there's certainly a few bugs here and there in the software, but I'd agree they're all minor. Leaps and bounds ahead of the original units that were around a couple years ago from what I've read.

How did you do the wireless screen mirroring? I got the phone connected to the dash's wifi, but couldn't get any further. Granted I'm android illiterate haha

Tried changing the left side of the screen, wow that's awesome haha
So on my android (samsung), pull down from the top once, to see notifications and then pull down again for the view in the screenshots below.

Select the "Smart View Mirror Screen" and then it will start looking for other devices. Your digital dash should show up (in the second pic my TV shows up since I'm not in my car now). Click on that and it should connect after a
couple of seconds. Note: you do NOT need to be connected to the dash through wifi first, or USB.

Then rotate your phone to see the preferred layout. My phone will also automatically connect to the car and all phone audio will play wirelessly over the car stereo, while videos will show up in the cluster. I think your car needs to support wireless carplay/android auto for this to work though.

1000042832.jpg
1000042831.jpg

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
does anyone know how to update these?
Been looking for that too, but so far no leads and no documentation since these are all manufactured in China. But I have to say, whatever small bugs there are, they don't bother me and I really enjoy this digital dash every day!

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
does anyone know how to update these?
I might try messaging the seller about that, but tbh there's nothing that bothers me enough to that i feel the need for an update unless they adjust the shift lights haha. If I get anymore info tho I'll report back

jetplaness

Passed Driver's Ed
Been looking for that too, but so far no leads and no documentation since these are all manufactured in China. But I have to say, whatever small bugs there are, they don't bother me and I really enjoy this digital dash every day!

I might try messaging the seller about that, but tbh there's nothing that bothers me enough to that i feel the need for an update unless they adjust the shift lights haha. If I get anymore info tho I'll report back

By any chance when your unit turns on, does it have the VW logo or it like a random android splash screen?

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
By any chance when your unit turns on, does it have the VW logo or it like a random android splash screen?
A MK7.5 GTI appears on the screen and zips off into the abyss, no obvious hints that it's an aftermarket unit. Also fwiw I believe this runs linux