GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY headlight protection?

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone put xpel or lamin-x precuts on the headlights themselves? if so, how good are the patterns?

Not sure if I should cut it myself, or buy a precut kit. It does seem most installers use precut kits these days from what I'm reading so they must have gotten pretty good over time.

Last edited:

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
I put lumin-x on the wife's CX-7 after warranty replaced the headlights. First time I'd done something like that and it looked great. The stuff severely yellowed after 3 years. Fortunately I got it all off in 40 minutes at most.

QuadZilla.:R

You can try 3m or any other clear film for headlight protection too.

Xpel is a great product, you can get the sheet and just apply it, and use a knifeless tape to peel the pattern out as an alternative vs pre cut.

Cheers.

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
This knifeless tape is interesting. I've done some Lamin-X and 3M 1080 in the past with pretty respectable results using a razor. Can it cut as clean as a blade? That would make things go pretty quickly I bet if so.

Last edited:

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Had my headlights covered when I had my Suntek PPF installed last fall. I presume it was precut because the fit is perfectly clean.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

tdi_spec

I just installed lamin-x on my car two weeks ago. It was easier to install than I expected and it was a nice thick film that seems like it will hold up to rocks, bugs, etc.. pretty well. I got it from here https://www.thebeardeddetailer.com/swag-store/mk7-golf-r-lamin-x-headlight-film and installed each one in about 20 minutes. The precut was spot on and all you have to do is cut off the "handling tabs" with the included razor blade.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
You can buy 3M clear bra off Amazon and install it yourself in 30min. This is actually something I need to do for trackdays. Ive had good experience with the 3M product.

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
You can buy 3M clear bra off Amazon and install it yourself in 30min. This is actually something I need to do for trackdays. Ive had good experience with the 3M product.

I'm actually looking at the 3M Pro as the price seems better then XPEL and has the same qualities. This site has some great prices on precut and roll options, so maybe a combo to do all the little pieces I want: http://www.invisiblemask.com

I'm guessing the bumper is a bit tough to do though. Maybe I could get someone to install that one for me after I buy it.

I think doing the whole hood on my own could be easy as it's not too big and it's pretty flat... just need to find a big piece or possibly ask them to precut one for me.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Keep in mind... if you to it yourself, work from the "center out" to remove the liquid and bubbles.

I you screw up you can remove the film. Lift up from the edges and have vinyl gloves on so your finger prints won't show up on the adhesion side!
More liquid is better than less when applying the film.

How do I know the above. I did this for 3 years in a M-Benz detail shop.

If you are hesitant doing this. Buy a bulk roll of film and test it. The more you practice the better you will get!

Take your time and don't rush! Have a beer, keep the wife and kids away and go for it!

Last edited:

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

Link?

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

ImolaR

Ready to race!

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed

They must have launched a new website in the middle of the day...lol. I refreshed and it's totally different.

They now offer PremiumShield Elite as an option, and everything just went 10% off... they know we are talking about them ;)

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
and a full hood option was added.....

Last edited:

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Depends on how much you need. Can't find any wider than 12''. You would need to go to a body shop for very large pieces to do the hood of the car. I was quoted $1200.00 for my hood to be coated, and I thought that was outrageous.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-C...8&qid=1492458957&sr=8-5&keywords=3m+clear+bra

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Paint-...8&qid=1492458957&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+clear+bra

Honestly, first 12 inches should do!

Good idea!

Inexpensive option. Cover the entire hood front to the edge. Allow 1/16" to remain. Cut with a SHARP razor blade. Roll edge under hood with blow dryer! GTG!