GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: A Pillar Removal

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Did you find an easy way to get the a pillar back on? Haha.

Phillip.Triplett

Passed Driver's Ed
Not really, I find with working at the plant that these a pillars have a lot of strength to them. Now with that saying they can deform but these are just a plastic resin with fabric glued onto them. You can give a little more push than you think. Also the IP skin will deform to allow the a pillar in and then return to shape so that is a plus. Just give a bit more elbow grease and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
I'm about to have my mk7 tinted all the way around with either SunTek: Carbon XP (35 on sides and hatch, 70 on windshield) or Huper Optiks: Nano Ceramic (40 on sides and hatch, 80 on windshield) and I'm glad I saw your DIY for that 1/4 window a-pilar removal and wow! I knew it wouldn't be easy to tint that window, but didn't realize what a pain in the ass it is to do it properly. So thanks for putting that up...I'll send my installer this link so he can see it.

Do you have any insight on doing the hatch? I know removing the trim will make things a whole lot easier and the job a whole lot better, but didn't know if you had any tips?

Also, anyone have any experience with SunTek:CXP or Huper Optiks:Ceramic? I know the obvious, the CXP is a nano-carbon and the Huper is a nano-ceramic, both have great heat rejection, which is my no.1 concern (ceramics TSER, UV & IR specs seem to be a little better in each) but wasn't sure what the difference was visually, in actual performance, quality, etc...

This is my first post, I'm a newb lol, so be kind [emoji6] any help will be appreciated....thanks all!

Phillip.Triplett

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm about to have my mk7 tinted all the way around with either SunTek: Carbon XP (35 on sides and hatch, 70 on windshield) or Huper Optiks: Nano Ceramic (40 on sides and hatch, 80 on windshield) and I'm glad I saw your DIY for that 1/4 window a-pilar removal and wow! I knew it wouldn't be easy to tint that window, but didn't realize what a pain in the ass it is to do it properly. So thanks for putting that up...I'll send my installer this link so he can see it.

Do you have any insight on doing the hatch? I know removing the trim will make things a whole lot easier and the job a whole lot better, but didn't know if you had any tips?

Also, anyone have any experience with SunTek:CXP or Huper Optiks:Ceramic? I know the obvious, the CXP is a nano-carbon and the Huper is a nano-ceramic, both have great heat rejection, which is my no.1 concern (ceramics TSER, UV & IR specs seem to be a little better in each) but wasn't sure what the difference was visually, in actual performance, quality, etc...

This is my first post, I'm a newb lol, so be kind [emoji6] any help will be appreciated....thanks all!

My guy didn't remove the back hatch trim. He uses a rubber vinyl/tint tool that has flex in it. Not sure if all dealers will have this but he likes to have any tool needed so he isn't stuck in the middle of a job. I could look up how to remove the trim at work if you need it though. Sorry for the delay in responding here.

Peter R Lyncch

Just completed installing a dash-cam. Instructions were perfect. Just go slow and be patient.

The one point I will reinforce is that the A Pillar WILL pop out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch if you pull BEFORE you will be able to see the clips. I was a bit nervous about pulling on the pillar but it indeed did pop out a bit. From there the rest of the remove/re-installation was, more or less, a snap. Also, I was able to snake the camera wire from the A Pillar front through to the fuse box are without having to remove the triangle window trim. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for a great tutorial! No way I could have done this without it.

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
This was super helpful!!!!
Only problem is the clips as you said -.-
I actually broke one trying to pull it out cause I got mad lol

Anyone know where to buy them ? I searched, but couldn't find so I'm hoping someone also got mad at the clips