GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dimmer switch functionality

afman916

Ready to race!
Does anyone know if the dimmer switch (for cluster gauge backlighting) ONLY works at night? Installed my New South boost gauge today and went to test out the dimmer functionality and no dice, the dimmer switch doesn't dim at all. I just read on another thread it may only work at night - I've just come to the realization that I have never used the dimmer switch, so it won't impact my enjoyment at all, but I'd like to know that I didn't botch the install.

Going to go for a spin in a few hours and try again, but thought I'd ask in the meantime.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
It does only work at night, but that's because it functions with the headlights. If you turn the headlights or parking lights on (not Auto) then it should work.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
I was just spitballing before. Tried it on my GTI and got the same result. I guess wait until night or find a way to trick the ambient light sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afman916

Ready to race!
I was just spitballing before. Tried it on my GTI and got the same result. I guess wait until night or find a way to trick the ambient light sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so you couldn't get yours to dim either in daylight? Makes me feel better for the time being....I'll take a spin in a bit and report back.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Ok, so you couldn't get yours to dim either in daylight? Makes me feel better for the time being....I'll take a spin in a bit and report back.
Iirc, it only controls the brightness of the headlights-on cluster.

Im not near my car right now, but I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is normal.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

afman916

Ready to race!
Yep, can confirm dimming functionality just worked a few min ago. Somewhat ashamed that I hadn't already figured that out on my own through general ownership haha. But I don't know if I've ever touched that switch before honestly.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
I didn’t realize it wouldn’t work unless it was at night. I figured it would adjust with the headlights on. Weird

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The probable reason is because VW uses the brightness to tell you that your headlights are off (if you have no auto headlights, or if they're not set to auto). For instance, if it's getting dark outside, the gauge cluster starts looking dim. If it gets too dark outside, the gauge cluster blacks out and leaves you with the gauge needles as the only things lit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk