GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Difference between Euro and NA mk7 downpipe?

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Thanks, this looks like a simple practical way to mod a stock downpipe. I guess you could also cut out the cat and replace it with an equivalent big ass pipe section ? :) But it would probably be more tricky to cut at the right section, and also if you would want to weld back the gutted cat later. Still it would save you the trouble to chisel out the cat insides...

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Or you know, get an actual 3" dp with a proper cat.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
When you're talking about free-$200 vs $500+...it makes sense for some people. If I didn't grab an AWE downpipe for $500, I would have considered a modified OEM R downpipe.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI

Or not. A DP from a reputable american tuner, which are the ones who know this model/engine well, ends up around 900$ in Europe. Or there are some local tuners asking at least 500$, but they are unproven with this engine and have lower standards. Since there is a much cheaper and proven solution using oem parts, I won't spend 3-4 times that much on a pipe, thank you.

BTW Here are some pictures I got from various threads with the TSI, GTI and an aftermarket DP, plus the catback part.

Attachments

• dp2.jpg
    dp2.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 558
  • dp3.jpg
    dp3.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • dp11.jpg
    dp11.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 416
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 337
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Never fails to get this response whenever this is posted. Someone who thinks they know more than they actually do. I've seen so many 3" downpipes with fitment issues, rattles, broken welds etc. I put this in over 1-1/2 years ago and haven't had to touch it. A fellow forum member has done back to back dyno comparisons on his is38 Alltrack with this mod on a golf R downpipe vs. An IE downpipe. This actually made a little bit more power. My full weight, pano roof, auto trans sportwagen has run door to door with a Scatpack and and a Cayman S. Its jb4, is20, modified stock airbox and this mod on a gti downpipe. Now go ahead and prove me wrong that it doesn't work just as well. And just as a FYI, I had a 3" catless before this

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What's your CEL situation with your gutted cat? Do you know if the Golf R downpipe mates up properly to the Alltrack exhaust?

Never fails to get this response whenever this is posted. Someone who thinks they know more than they actually do. I've seen so many 3" downpipes with fitment issues, rattles, broken welds etc. I put this in over 1-1/2 years ago and haven't had to touch it. A fellow forum member has done back to back dyno comparisons on his is38 Alltrack with this mod on a golf R downpipe vs. An IE downpipe. This actually made a little bit more power. My full weight, pano roof, auto trans sportwagen has run door to door with a Scatpack and and a Cayman S. Its jb4, is20, modified stock airbox and this mod on a gti downpipe. Now go ahead and prove me wrong that it doesn't work just as well. And just as a FYI, I had a 3" catless before this

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
To throw in a monkey wrench, 2019 European MK7's get a Gas Particulate Filter (VW calls it OPF, Otto Particulate Filter) that is part of the 1st cat on the downpipe.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
To throw in a monkey wrench, 2019 European MK7's get a Gas Particulate Filter (VW calls it OPF, Otto Particulate Filter) that is part of the 1st cat on the downpipe.
So does the '19 RS3 in Europe and possibly here, too.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
What's your CEL situation with your gutted cat? Do you know if the Golf R downpipe mates up properly to the Alltrack exhaust?
You'll need an O2 spacer.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If I can get a R DP for real cheap, I may consider gutting it and playing with the O2 spacer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch over to Eurodyne so I'll be able to toggle my O2 readiness for inspection. :D

You'll need an O2 spacer.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Is an o2 sensor spacer required if you have a Stage 2 tune which accounts for the catless/sport cat downpipe ?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Is an o2 sensor spacer required if you have a Stage 2 tune which accounts for the catless/sport cat downpipe ?
If you have a stage 2 tune that turns off the CEL for cat inefficiency, you don't need a spacer.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
If you have a stage 2 tune that turns off the CEL for cat inefficiency, you don't need a spacer.
He may for inspection time.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
He may for inspection time.
Yea same reason why I'm curious. Ideally I'd want the spacer solution to work well enough and long enough to get all the readiness. After inspection I'd just turn the CEL off for the downpipe cat.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Thanks I was only concerned about performance. A serious inspection is my country includes an emission test, so you either put the stock catalyst back on, or... it's not a serious inspection :)

BTW, for TwinDad and others that have opened up/removed their stock (upper) cat, any idea where are the ends of the actual cat material in the picture below ? The red line, shorter (green) or longer (blue) ?

Attachments

• cat3end.jpg
    cat3end.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 265
Last edited: