GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel re-sale prices

dickt

Ready to race!
When the criminal actions of VW were discovered by dieselgate, there was a lot of meeja comment that re-sale prices would be awful.#

VW USA has now offered to buy back the impacted diesels, and shovel other money in to the litigious USA market.

Nothing like that on offer for the UK.

Does anyone have any experience of selling their VW diesel and have any ideas of how prices in the UK, or elsewhere, have been impacted?

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure it's possible to put a value on dieselgate. VW have been pushing high deposit contribution and good finance rates to bolster new car sales. This has a negative impact on resale values as it increases the availability of used cars. Some people have complained about high depreciation after 2 years without factoring in the 20% VAT charged on a new car.

I haven't checked but right now I expect to have negative equity on the finance, I'm not too worried as I've no plans to change my car yet.

Cars are NEVER a good short term investment

In this instance you cannot compare the UK and US. VW did not miss sell in the UK. Cars are sold here on CO2 output not NOx. On top of that, as far as I know all Uk MK7 TDi meet the current environmental regulations.

I'm not defending VW, to set out to frig the emission test is morally wrong and they should pay but anybody in Europe expecting some kind of compensation is going to be disappointed.

Cue comments from the Dr..

Last edited:

stevew09

Ready to race!
I think it may be the start of something bigger, and potentially changes to how the UK see diesel cars. Looking at recent test results carried out by the government, reported on by the Daily Mail, 30 diesel cars out of the most popular 100 sold were tested and all produced far more pollutants than allowed by the Euro 5/6 spec ( in some cases 14 times more )

Link to article

I would not be surprised to see road tax changing to additionally take into account NOx when setting yearly costs.

methnen

Passed Driver's Ed
At least here in Oregon the prices on TDIs being sold used have not gone down at all. If anything they've maybe gone up a bit.

A car that blue books for 8,000 will sell for 11,000 here no problem. TDIs are incredibly popular here though.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Isn't the latest news that VW will pay $5k to compensate owners of affected US cars? That should help, if true. I haven't read into the details or timeframe of this.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Saw something the other day that said a max drop of 500 per car once the scandalaffected the shares prices. Bur since then there has been further reports on top 10 car manufacturers stating they all put out over 10 times the no2 etc in real world tests but that's not against the regs..
Personally I can't see it making much difference. A price for something is only ever what someone else is willing to pay vs other marque's and options available.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Well my GTD was sold last month to the highest private bidder - bringing me 1,500 quid less than the VWFS settlement amount. Never been in that situation before as cars have always generated a little equity or at least been neutral. And this was a car bought with a stonking 13% discount!

Tahiti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well my GTD was sold last month to the highest private bidder - bringing me 1,500 quid less than the VWFS settlement amount. Never been in that situation before as cars have always generated a little equity or at least been neutral. And this was a car bought with a stonking 13% discount!

The values have definitely been hit more than projected (regardless of whether the engine's an affected one or not).

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
The values have definitely been hit more than projected (regardless of whether the engine's an affected one or not).

Hit in what way? cars depreciate that's fact.
Sometimes you may get buyers that portray that they are doing the seller a favour by purchasing the car. If someone is really that fussed about emissions, then they wouldn't be buying a Golf.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hit in what way? cars depreciate that's fact.
Sometimes you may get buyers that portray that they are doing the seller a favour by purchasing the car. If someone is really that fussed about emissions, then they wouldn't be buying a Golf.

The WRONG cars depreciate. Look at the collector car auctions for vintage American high performance cars. You will see many examples of cars that appreciate.

lostru

Ready to race!
The value on the current models will go up next year. Once the programing is "Fixed" on next years cars and they get 10-15% less in MPG, people will be looking for the older TDI's to purchase. It amazes me that this is so blown out of proportion by Officials and Media with ulterior motives.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I hope you all know that the only way to fix the emissions is to install a urea injection system. How do you EU owners pass emissions tests when your government knows the readings are bogus?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I hope you all know that the only way to fix the emissions is to install a urea injection system. How do you EU owners pass emissions tests when your government knows the readings are bogus?

The other running costs bring in revenue and keep employment which also creates revenue.

mauricegt

Agree with this, I've just sent back a GT Tdi 150bhp model that had a fault so i was able to reject it, last year it retailed at 19k as a demonstrator, if i had been trading it in, the trade in was less than 13k.

Since got another car that was used and was able to negotiate 2.5k off the list price so i would say values have been hit for sure