GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel Rattle on Idle - Clutch Issues?

DannyScotland

Passed Driver's Ed
Wonder if someone has the same or can advise on a problem I have with my 2 diesel with manual transmission.

My car seems to have a rattle on idle. It reverberates throughout the car and is especially bad when the engine is not up to temperature. I initially thought it was an engine issue however, through the process of elimination I’ve found it’s something to do with the clutch.

When I come to a stop, if I push the clutch hard right against the engine bay, (most of the time) the rattle doesn’t happen and it idles as smooth as ever however, as soon as I let it out even a fraction of an inch it starts the vigorous rattle. If I come to a stop and don’t push the clutch hard against the wall, the rattle is instant. It’s almost as if the clutch doesn’t full detach from the engine.

Any ideas on a) what it is or b) how it can resolved – any feedback would be much appreciated

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Clutch completely disengaged = no rattle but slightly = rattle? Since I don't know much about dual mass flywheels other than it's two different materials, it sounds like they're loose or separating. But that makes no sense to me since it seems to me that with the clutch completely disengaged it would be worse.

Not necessarily. When for example the DMF bearings are worn out it'll rattle
without any 'load' applied, say when the clutch is disengaged.

crankshaft > DMF > clutch > gearbox

plainsight

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine does the same. I'm at 13k miles though. Has done it since I've had the car. Dealer said it was normal lol. I'd been saying up for about 5 months now for a rainy day fund for when my clutch goes out. Going to put a stage 2 in there, a SMF and call it a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk