GOLFMKV

Dealership Performed Work Without Divulging What They Did

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I crushed a pot hole once and the wheel bearing went. I took it in to the dealership, didn't mention the pothole part, and the wheel bearing was covered under warranty. $50 deductible later and it was fixed.
Why a deductible? there's no deductible on factory warranty...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I crushed a pot hole once and the wheel bearing went. I took it in to the dealership, didn't mention the pothole part, and the wheel bearing was covered under warranty. $50 deductible later and it was fixed.
Under a third-party/extended warranty.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
The right front wheel bearing on my 2018 S failed at 18k miles and was covered under warranty.

Yeah the dealership literally told me that a failed wheel bearing was covered. They didn't even ask me how/when it happened.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Different brands or dealers treat it different I suppose. Audi won't cover wheel bearing in my exp... Makes sense to me. Just like a brake component it doesn't last forever.

Branman

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
The issue isn't the mistake or the additional work they did for free. The issue is the lack of documentation that puts the owner out if there is a defect. It doesn't matter if no one would say no to being informed about additional work, what matters is they didn't follow the law that requires them notify him.

haha I feel bad for anybody that works on your car. Let it go dude. They fixed his car for free end of story. They didn’t have to do that. The guy should be grateful they took care of It. Not make a ridiculous post like this.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My only issue would be that it's not on the invoice, even at no charge. In my case they didn't contact me which is just as well because I would have told them to change it, especially since they were covering it. I am glad it was on the invoice though. Should this bearing fail in 2,000 miles I would argue there was a defect or install issue and I have documentation of when that part was installed. If not included on the invoice, I might decide to avoid paying dealer cost and take it to an independent shop for repair, out of my pocket. Or I bring it to this (or another) service center and they could argue that bearing failure at 32k, though not common, is possible and isn't covered. Again costing me money.

Given that you have the video, can you just ask them to revise the invoice to include the items they replaced at no charge? On one hand VW is VW but I would imagine their service center could ask for reimbursement from VWoA if that bearing fails prematurely so they don't have to eat the whole cost. Maybe they eat the labor but not the part cost.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
All these people that seem to think having anyone do anything to your car you didn't request, and not mention it must be a sucker for shady shops. Sure come in for your brake replacement, don't mind me while I tear your caliper boots and loosen your caliper seals. See you in 2 months for a full rebuild on your dime.:poop:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
All these people that seem to think having anyone do anything to your car you didn't request, and not mention it must be a sucker for shady shops. Sure come in for your brake replacement, don't mind me while I tear your caliper boots and loosen your caliper seals. See you in 2 months for a full rebuild on your dime.:poop:
No sucker here, just not sure about using dash cam footage (that you shouldn't have been collecting) to go back to a shop and ask them for a receipt for stuff they replaced trying to sort out an issue covered under warranty and you weren't charged for and then being worried about future warranty implications of those items. Unreal to me. Again, the OP should just go back and ask for the receipt and say it's b/c you noted some other bits that looked to have been replaced while it was in if this is that big of a concern..sorted. The obsession with things being covered under warranty. Holy shit.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I didn't comment on the dash cam thing, as I know recording people while working is a no-no in my state. Though the idea of letting a mechanic replace, or remove items that were not requested and not being notified about it is shady. Like I said earlier, new parts do fail, and dealers can make mistakes - it isn't the norm, but there are reasons why lemon laws and 12/12 dealer parts/labor warranties exist. I wouldn't go back to a shop that would remove/replace parts and not mention it personally, but that's my opinion.

I would agree though that they should speak with them and see about a revised service transcript calmly, before ranting and raving about recordings. As others have stated, they could make a comment about noticing newer looking parts - or hey, the finish is scraped on these screws - what have you. They don't have to go in heavy handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.