GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer will not warranty haldex failure :(

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
So, I am tuned but never race, only ever used launch control a few times, and mainly use the car to commute 14 miles round trip to and from work. Car has 16k miles and is a early 2016 model.

Tuned stage two with REVO software. De tuned when I took it to the dealer but they still saw it had been tuned, so I'm pretty sol with that.

Dealer isn't budging on price at all.

Has anyone replaced theirs out of pocket? How much did it cost you? Anyone have any leads on a cheaper source for the unit and parts needed?

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Shitty! What price is the dealership quoting you?

SRoads

Ready to race!
Is it the haldex pump itself or the whole diff? I would get a second opinion instead of being arm twisted by the dealer to buying a complete haldex unit.

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
They're around $4500 parts and labor.

As for the pump vs complete unit, how can one diagnose between the two without simply throwing parts at it?

I've also heard of a lot of others who have had this issue who did just the pump but that it didn't solve the issue...

Snitt

Ready to race!
The Haldex unit is $3400 from VW or around $3,000 from vwpartsvortex. Are there any Volkswagen/German third party shops in your area?

Aussie R

Ready to race!
This scares me a bit as my haldex unit not working properly. My mechanic didn't say any fault codes though just stated he hoped updated software might fix issue or else I'll be looking at pump.

Not the news I wanted when he told me earlier I need new water pump and new front tyres. So just did service/dsg service and now going on 20th for repairs and new MP4S tyres. Merry Xmas to my car.

I'm out of warranty though as car more than 3.5yrs old. Has only done 40k km though and never used LC or tracked car. I only did haldex service at 30k km too.

It's slightly turned me off VW to be honest. Water pump and haldex issues. Plus always in back of mind about turbo.

Oh well that's life, pay to play and I do totally love the way car drives. Stage 2 HO APR is awesome.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Sorry to hear that OP, that sucks. Hope you can find something cheaper than dealership pricing.

I'd be more surprised if they honored haldex warranty on a tuned car tbh, for the expensive parts they won't get reimbursed if they do it so don't expect them to budge. Maybe they'll cut you a break on labour?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Anything over a cost threshold will require them to scan the car specifically so they can try to dodge responsibility for the failure.

Should be common knowledge now that re-flashing back to stock doesn't disguise that the car has been tuned.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Anything over a cost threshold will require them to scan the car specifically so they can try to dodge responsibility for the failure.

Should be common knowledge now that re-flashing back to stock doesn't disguise that the car has been tuned.

Yup, didn't even attempt to flash back to stock when my clutch destroyed my transmission. I knew it would be denied.

Not sure why anyone who gets tuned tries to flash back to stock to have major work done. VW isn't ignorant to the fact that a tune is one of the most popular mods for these cars.

OP good luck, it will be an expensive fix, but not something that you won't be able to overcome.