GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer drove car about 90miles

MacaN

Ready to race!
My friend went to dealer to fix water leaking sunroof and screen which kept turning off while driving.
They told my friend, they drove his car 15 to 20 miles per day for 5 days to see if screen turns off... wtf
Is there anything he can do??? He has in and out mileage on paperwork.

Reflex2dr

Ready to race!
Collision center at the dealer drove mine about 300 miles in 5 or 6 days. Contacted the Body shop manager, customer service dept at the dealer, and the BBB; nobody cared. Mileage was listed on the in paperwork from when I had the insurance inspection (earlier that day) but not the out paperwork when i came to pick it up. When I went to pick my car up my trip odometer had been reset (purposely left it and noted it to check miles) and so I recorded the odometer on video to prove mileage, and I sent it in to the dealer. They told me that nobody drove my car and thats all there was to it. BBB said it fell under punitive damages and that they wouldn't consider it.

And this was at the body shop! my car should have never left the place under any circumstances. Anything your friend attempts is going to be a waste of time. What does he expect to get out of it though? I get that he feels violated; I was furious. But what is 90 miles over the life of his car?

If it was part of some 'diagnostic procedure' (even something silly like you have described), thats even more power to them.

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
My friend went to dealer to fix water leaking sunroof and screen which kept turning off while driving.
They told my friend, they drove his car 15 to 20 miles per day for 5 days to see if screen turns off... wtf

What does he want to do? An intermittent fault is just that and it needs to be driven to identify the fault if he wanted it fixed. He is lucky as it takes time to drive that far and the dealer can charge if they want to if nothing is found wrong.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I reset my counter once I park in the service bay and take a photo. I also ask what to what extent of testing they will be doing with the vehicle.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Collision center at the dealer drove mine about 300 miles in 5 or 6 days. Contacted the Body shop manager, customer service dept at the dealer, and the BBB; nobody cared. Mileage was listed on the in paperwork from when I had the insurance inspection (earlier that day) but not the out paperwork when i came to pick it up. When I went to pick my car up my trip odometer had been reset (purposely left it and noted it to check miles) and so I recorded the odometer on video to prove mileage, and I sent it in to the dealer. They told me that nobody drove my car and thats all there was to it. BBB said it fell under punitive damages and that they wouldn't consider it.

And this was at the body shop! my car should have never left the place under any circumstances. Anything your friend attempts is going to be a waste of time. What does he expect to get out of it though? I get that he feels violated; I was furious. But what is 90 miles over the life of his car?

If it was part of some 'diagnostic procedure' (even something silly like you have described), thats even more power to them.

Sue in SCC. You'll find out real quick whether you have any cause for action.When you're talking about a VW dealer or body shop, you sign that they can drive your car.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The solution to any shop issue, is to only deal with shops you can trust. Dealers are easy. Find out who the best mechanics are, then find one that's easy to work with. Tell the service adviser you only want XXXXXX to work on your car. When you use a mechanic who cares, you should not be able to tell they even worked on your car - it should be clean with nothing out of place. Then tip the mechanic well so he'll remember you.

Body shops are another thing. Some dealers own their own body shops - I would tend to choose one of them. Nothing more annoying to have your car fixed and someone driving your car miles to get an alignment or diagnostic work because they're not capable of doing it themselves.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I understand the frustration, but unless they abused the car or tires by slipping the clutch and doing burnouts you should be fine. I put 100 miles on mine every day I go to work and I drive it hard, so again, unless there was abuse of some sort it'd just be another day at work for mine.

m00se

Ready to race!
I understand the frustration, but unless they abused the car or tires by slipping the clutch and doing burnouts you should be fine. I put 100 miles on mine every day I go to work and I drive it hard, so again, unless there was abuse of some sort it'd just be another day at work for mine.

I would tend to agree with this. Did they fix the problem? Did you notice any scratch, marks or damage to your paint? If not, I would just be glad the car is fixed. If there's is visible damage to the car, then it's another story.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Kept turning off while driving?
They can not verify it works when parked.

Driving that much each day to verify is not that much to me.

If it was 300+ miles then maybe much.

If friend does not want them to drive it tell them to fix as best they can without driving and he can accept the risk.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I see no problem with what the dealer did here. Not a crazy amount of miles, and they had to drive in different conditions and length of times to be sure that they fixed the problem and that he wouldn't be back in next week with the same issue.