GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash Cam Fuses

southwales1977

Ready to race!
Hey guys.

I've bought a dash cam and hardwire kit and have a small question about installation.

The hardwire kit has a piggyback adapter to connect to the fuse box. As I'll be plugging it in to a currently empty switched fuse slot do I need to plug a fuse into it?

I've looked around and can't find this simple answer.

Cheers.

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
I would just plug it into the slot that the cigarette lighter uses. The fuse you pull out goes into the lower slot of the piggyback then you need another fuse for what you've added on.

This is the one I've got in my 208, the blue fuse is the original, the orange one is the new one that I've put in. Just make sure the extra fuse you put in is the same rating or lower.

southwales1977

Ready to race!
Well done on ordering the GTI, good choice!

Thanks for that. But in theory if I plugged the piggyback into an empty slot would I need a fuse in the top slot for it to function?

Steemax1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well done on ordering the GTI, good choice!

Thanks for that. But in theory if I plugged the piggyback into an empty slot would I need a fuse in the top slot for it to function?

Yes you will... the fuse will complete the circuit otherwise you have to wires that are not touching until the fuse is inserted. Hopefully that makes sense.

southwales1977

Ready to race!
Complete sense. Thank you very much.

I'm not electrically minded and didn't think there was some part of the hardwire kit that would be fused in that way and that's cleared it up nicely.

Makes me glad I got some fuses earlier.

Athanasios2104

I would just plug it into the slot that the cigarette lighter uses. The fuse you pull out goes into the lower slot of the piggyback then you need another fuse for what you've added on.

This is the one I've got in my 208, the blue fuse is the original, the orange one is the new one that I've put in. Just make sure the extra fuse you put in is the same rating or lower.

funny, i was about to make a new post about piggyback but OP got me first :)

still, my question is about the type of a piggyback for a Golf 7 TDI (automatic gearbox). There are several profile so, a clarification would be helpful :confused:

Also, I have already a hardwired Valeo proximity sensor. Now i'm hardwiring the 2-ch dashcam as well. Do i need two piggyback connectors?

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
As long as you aren't pulling too many amps I would just splice into the existing piggyback. I would not piggyback off a piggyback.

You could put an extra piggyback in a different fuse supply if you wanted to.

Athanasios2104

As long as you aren't pulling too many amps I would just splice into the existing piggyback. I would not piggyback off a piggyback.

You could put an extra piggyback in a different fuse supply if you wanted to.
thanks for the answer, but my question was about the type of the piggyback in Golf 7, so that it is compatible

There are Mini, Low-profile Mini, Micro2, or ATO/ATC fuses so, the piggyback has to be of this profile (so that it can be plugged in without squishing the nearby fuses)... no? :confused:

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
I don't have my mark 7 yet so I can't assist in which actual piggyback unit you need in afraid. I will be installing a dash cam in mine so I will find out but that won't be until Nov/Dec when my car is delivered I'm afraid.