GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cutting the front bump stops while they're on the car...

spessx

Ready to race!
Has anyone managed to trim the front bumpstops on their car while the car is still assembled?

If so, how did you do it?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Yes it can be done but a fair warning to you that it depends on the bump stop. The DCC shocks have a big black rubber ring around the bump stop. If you are trimming below that it’s fine but above that gets very tricky because that ring actually has a hard metal ring inside it. Whatever you cut off, you also have to cut down the middle to slide it off the strut shaft.

I think the non DCC shocks have a bump stop without the black ring

spessx

Ready to race!
Yes it can be done but a fair warning to you that it depends on the bump stop. The DCC shocks have a big black rubber ring around the bump stop. If you are trimming below that it’s fine but above that gets very tricky because that ring actually has a hard metal ring inside it. Whatever you cut off, you also have to cut down the middle to slide it off the strut shaft.

I think the non DCC shocks have a bump stop without the black ring

Mine is non-DCC. I'll put it up on stands and pull off the wheels this weekend to try and trim them.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Mine is non-DCC. I'll put it up on stands and pull off the wheels this weekend to try and trim them.
Ya then they shouldn't be too bad. Just take your time and be careful when it goes all the way through as you don't want to scratch at the strut shaft itself.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Good.forged steak knife does the trick. Don't tell my wife.

Imo you should cut the end away from the ring. On Golf bump stops, the ring helps the soft portion maintain shape.

By cutting the firmer end, you are compensating for loss of travel (equivalent to a metal bump stop for the size of the change). Better to cut the firmest part of the bump stop to compensate.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
On Golf bump stops, the ring helps the soft portion maintain shape.
Meh....not necessary.
The MK7 was the first VW to have those plastic rings.....previous VW bump stops were just (tapered) foam and never an issue.

Eibach instructions call for removing the ring & then cutting off the lower part of the bump stops:

spessx

Ready to race!
Thank you for the reply. I was convinced that I needed to trim the top/firmest part of the bumpstop but I guess not. The lower portion should be easier.

If my front stops have the ring, should I cut it off or leave it.

spessx

Ready to race!
Yep, mine has the ring. Cut it off?

Attachments

• 631F912C-232E-4259-805F-646A1A8B53D6.jpeg
    631F912C-232E-4259-805F-646A1A8B53D6.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 109

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
On my car (Golf), the ring is a metal ring coated with plastic. If yours is the same, it will not go willingly. I used a bolt cutter to remove it (I was removing the entire stock bump stop and replacing with something else).

On the 'which end to cut' discussion, I have no idea what Eibach is thinking, they don't say. My line of reasoning is to mimic the progressive nature of the stock bump stop.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Ya mine had a metal ring in it and it is thicker than you think. I wasn't expecting it and had to cut it with tin snips (not recommended). You may want to cut from the top to avoid it but its your call.

spessx

Ready to race!
So I was able to get the fronts trimmed and the car rides better already though every once in a while its hitting the inner fender screw.

i need to do the rears but I can’t get my back wheels off without an impact wrench because of the wheel locks.
Can the rear bump stops be cut in place without removing the shocks as well?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
i need to do the rears but I can’t get my back wheels off without an impact wrench because of the wheel locks.
Can the rear bump stops be cut in place without removing the shocks as well?
Yes, and it's easier than the front!
Jack the car up, reach into the rear wheel well area, cut the zip tie for the dust boot & pull it down, pull the bump stop down & trim it, then slide the bump stop back up into the mount & install a new zip tie for the dust boot.