GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cup kits?

njavier03

Ready to race!
I know a lot people are looking for stock ride quality, but also want to lessen the wheel gap. I fall into that category as well. I know that this is impossible to achieve with just springs, so I came accors cup kits. However, there isn't much info out there for our cars. From what I've found, its a combination of aftermarket shocks with a different aftermarket springs, like the koni fsd shocks with the vwr springs. The description on ecstuning claims the combo is with confort in mind. Are cup kits supposed to be more "comfortable" than coils? I'm also assuming you use the oem hardware for installation, unless you order upgraded hardware.

Some springs + dampers kits offer better ride than most coilovers
since they don't need to deal with different ride heights.
There are some complete kits already available like Bilstein B12 Pro
which contains Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach Pro springs, although
you could assemble your own kit e.g. with DG springs + Koni Str.ts,
which I would recommend in favor of Koni's FSDs.
Some are happy with Golf R dampers after putting them into a GTI
with DG or VWR springs. Sometimes low-mileage R dampers are sold
for cheap as the owner went for coilovers.
When ride comfort is a major concern I'd look for mild drop springs
(DG or ED). They ride nicely when matched with Koni Str.t (orange),
Koni Sport (yellow) and Bilstein B8. Stock dampers may feel softer
at lower speeds while the mentioned ones are superior at highers.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Ahhh gotcha. So essentially the main difference difference is the static drop vs adjustability of a full coilover system. Where the upgraded shocks counter the stiffer spring rate of lower springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Some springs + dampers kits offer better ride than most coilovers
since they don't need to deal with different ride heights.
There are some complete kits already available like Bilstein B12 Pro
which contains Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach Pro springs, although
you could assemble your own kit e.g. with DG springs + Koni Str.ts,
which I would recommend in favor of Koni's FSDs.
Some are happy with Golf R dampers after putting them into a GTI
with DG or VWR springs. Sometimes low-mileage R dampers are sold
for cheap as the owner went for coilovers.
When ride comfort is a major concern I'd look for mild drop springs
(DG or ED). They ride nicely when matched with Koni Str.t (orange),
Koni Sport (yellow) and Bilstein B8. Stock dampers may feel softer
at lower speeds while the mentioned ones are superior at highers.

I wasn't aware of a Bilstein B12 kit for the MK7 and couldn't find one for purchase anywhere. Is that only available in Europe? I know it's possible to assemble it a la carte, but the kits tend to be less expensive. It was an awesome ride on my MK6.

Ahhh gotcha. So essentially the main difference difference is the static drop vs adjustability of a full coilover system. Where the upgraded shocks counter the stiffer spring rate of lower springs?

Most coilover kits offer a much stiffer spring rate than just lowering springs, which can affect ride quality. However, if the dampening is well matched, this helps minimize that effect. I drove a car with a set of Bilstein PSS coils installed and it wasn't nearly as harsh/stiff as you'd think, given the rates over stock.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Most coilover kits offer a much stiffer spring rate than just lowering springs, which can affect ride quality. However, if the dampening is well matched, this helps minimize that effect. I drove a car with a set of Bilstein PSS coils installed and it wasn't nearly as harsh/stiff as you'd think, given the rates over stock.

i see. but if someone is mainly looking for comfort, they are more likely to achieve this by going with a cup kit vs full coilovers?

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have the HPA SHS coil-overs and they ride SO close to the VWR springs that it's hard to tell the difference. The coil-over harshness isn't there at all.

You just get the added bonus of much better damping when it comes to mid-corner bumps and suspension reaction time.

WELL worth a look IMHO.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
i see. but if someone is mainly looking for comfort, they are more likely to achieve this by going with a cup kit vs full coilovers?

Typically yes. But if you can get a ride in a car with a kit you're considering, it'll help a lot.

If your #1 goal is comfort and you don't want to stay stock, I would avoid lowering springs with progressive spring rates. Linear tends to be more predictable. Also a general rule... the lower you go on the drop, the stiffer the ride will need to be.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Oh for sure. I know it's not possible to go lower without getting stiffer. I'm just looking for the best option to be as close to ride quality as possible.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Oh for sure. I know it's not possible to go lower without getting stiffer. I'm just looking for the best option to be as close to ride quality as possible.

I've heard the ED springs have great ride quality, comfort-wise. Never read any complaints about them, even on stock dampers.

njavier03

Ready to race!
never heard of those until now. their site claims the springs are linear and are meant to be used with the stock dampers for a comfortable ride. i might try those out first and then upgrade shocks/struts if need be. thanks for all your help bro! i wish this forum had a rep system. i hope someone else finds this thread useful.

Swoope

Ready to race!
I wasn't aware of a Bilstein B12 kit for the MK7 and couldn't find one for purchase anywhere. Is that only available in Europe? I know it's possible to assemble it a la carte, but the kits tend to be less expensive. It was an awesome ride on my MK6.

the b12 kit is in the usa now. but seems tire rack is the only one that has it. and it is way overpriced.

beers

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I went the cup kit route with FSDs because I was looking for something MORE comfortable than stock. They work well with Neuspeed Sports (can't comment on VWRs). Cushioned/smoother but still very much a sports suspension feel which is what I wanted vs. a floaty Camry feel. I'm about to try them with DGs for ground clearance...we'll see how it goes. May be too soft but we'll see.

Z27

Ready to race!
I went the cup kit route with FSDs because I was looking for something MORE comfortable than stock. They work well with Neuspeed Sports (can't comment on VWRs). Cushioned/smoother but still very much a sports suspension feel which is what I wanted vs. a floaty Camry feel. I'm about to try them with DGs for ground clearance...we'll see how it goes. May be too soft but we'll see.

I believe FSD pairs better with progressive sport springs. DG springs are linear and I'm not sure how it will affect your ride quality. My assumption is it will be firmer.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
the b12 kit is in the usa now. but seems tire rack is the only one that has it. and it is way overpriced.

beers

Look at that. You're right! It didn't come up on a Google search. Thanks. Yeah, it's more expensive than the PSS coilover kit. Wow. lol

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I believe FSD pairs better with progressive sport springs. DG springs are linear and I'm not sure how it will affect your ride quality. My assumption is it will be firmer.

Hey Z27! Per Koni the FSDs "don't care" if the springs are progressive or linear. The Neuspeed sports are linear once installed, at least in the rear as the dead coils compress. Can't tell with the front, except that there is no abrupt rate change felt. :). I suspect I will revert back to the neuspeeds due to the overall balance between comfort and sport but maybe the DGs will prove me wrong. We will see. Regardless, I still think a spring/damper combo vs coils is a reasonable path. I actually like the flexibility of trying different combinations.