GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking Front Answers

chebaroony

Passed Driver's Ed
My GTD is now coming up to 3 years old and has always suffered with creaking front suspension on and off and has been to the dealer a couple of times for this annoying fault . After fitting vwr springs I seemed to have a few weeks silence but now the same old creaking is back . After extensive Internet and forum searches it would seem that no one as really got a clue what this common problem actually is . Does anyone out there really have a permanent cure ?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Funnily enough our TSi is in for this again right now. And they loaned me a 2016 model that does the exact same thing! Bloody useless cars, who the ffff designed this front suspension?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
By the way it seems pretty clear that it's the wishbone bushes doing it, but there are various stories as to why this might be. The most plausible is that they are overtightened. But more likely they just don't fit properly and VW has failed to acknowledge or fix it.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
It depends on what you hear. Is it creaking when going below 50km/h and hit a pothole/bump or is it a sound like bending a metal part when going slowly in uneven pavement or getting in a ramp to your garage in very low speed (10km/h max) always with the wheels turned? Both have happened to me. The first one is probably your top mounts. Get them replaced under warranty for both sides WITH the bearing. If it's the second it's even more easy and more difficult to the dealerships to diagnose because they know how to replace parts only. Luckily, I serviced my car in the dealership a month ago with a mechanic which is the exception in the norm. Clever and he can actually hear the car and think. I had that sound for almost a year and have bothered the dealership a couple of times but the other staff where looking for a part to replace. Instead, he put out of his own bag a VW stamped grease (lithium grease) and he applied it freely in the two rear bushings of the front subframe and in the bushing of the transmission mount which is in the subframe as well (I think that is where the infamous inserts go?). Voilà, after some time (like 5-7 attempts of getting on a ramp with maximum steering lock) it is silent like a mouse.
There is another bushing that needed an other type of grease, for a more light sound which appears after a bump or pothole (weirdly) but I didn't see the tech which one he did and with what sort of product.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The official VW technical bulletin does say to grease the joints, but this is a temporary fix.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The permanent fix is for VW to redesign the stupid things. This is a VW not a bloody lada..!

spielwurfel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 2014
I have exactly the same problem. Seeing at a brazilian forum, the noise could be from two sources, either the suspension bushes, and from the sway bar link. My dealer couldn't listen neither fix this shitty noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk