GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CPO vs used

chamisool

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evolution 8, GTI SE
Hi all,

So I've been researching on both new and used cars and found one that piqued my interest.
2018 DIB GTI Autobahn DSG with 20k miles for $25k but it's not a CPO. Looked pretty flawless.

A new 2020 GTI SE I was about to purchase is 4k more.

Is there a big difference between a used and a CPO other than the extended warranty? I tried asking the dealer what caused the car to fail to meet the CPO bar and I was given the answer that the general manager likes to offer non CPO to be competitively priced.

I'll hopefully join very soon as a new owner, but still undecided on a new or used.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
The 18-20 have a pretty long warranty. If you plan on tuning at all just go with the cheapest option. If you're not it comes down to how much long the warranty is and if it's worth it to you

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
A good chunk of cpo’s aren’t really cpo cars

if looking at a cpo ask for proof that it qualified to be listed as a cpo. When my brother traded in his Gti. It had full Bolton’s and stage 2. And has never gotten any service at any dealer. He saw on carguru that it was being sold as a cpo car.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
You can come across many horrer stories of VAG CPO vehicles not being inspected properly. Was the 2020 with 4k miles owned by a dealer before. Also note that 2020 does not comes with Peoples warranty.

I would tilt towards the 2018 if a third party inspection comes out clean and if it doesnt have a tune.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
2018 came with 6 year/72K mile B2B warranty.

2020 came with 4 year/50K B2B.

2018 has 20K miles, so 52K miles of B2B wtty remaining.

2020 has 4K, so 46K miles of B2B.

Why pay 4K more for a car with less warranty?

I say get the 2018. Also DIB is incredible

chamisool

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evolution 8, GTI SE
Thanks for the correction. Yeah, I was reading the replies and I was comparing a used GTI (non CPO) vs a new one.

I have a few dealerships I'll be visiting this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to join the family.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
FWIW my CPO car was TD1 flagged on the last repair but VW covered it because dealers typically don’t scan ECUs for previous flashes. Not sure if this is standard protocol or not.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I haven't been impressed with the many cpo programs.

I sold my last R (big turbo car returned to stock) and the dealer CPOd it.

My dad bought a cpo A6 that I could tell had been in an accident, and repainted poorly, when I was detailing it for him.

I'd trust a prepurchase inspection from an independent shop vs having CPO stamped on the bill of sale.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I paid $1500 for my CPO warranty, so far it paid for the traditional tstat/water pump failure ($900). $600 to go. Before I picked it up I spoke with the Audi service manager and asked him to hook the car up and confirm it didn't throw a td1, then put it in writing, which the dealership did. As for CPOs having superior condition, not buying it.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
No but you get 50K on a CPO warranty. If your car throws a TD1 during a repair they blame the previous owner. You shouldn’t have volunteered a non flash designation, now you can’t tune till it’s done.
I paid $1500 for my CPO warranty, so far it paid for the traditional tstat/water pump failure ($900). $600 to go. Before I picked it up I spoke with the Audi service manager and asked him to hook the car up and confirm it didn't throw a td1, then put it in writing, which the dealership did. As for CPOs having superior condition, not buying it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
No but you get 50K on a CPO warranty. If your car throws a TD1 during a repair they blame the previous owner. You shouldn’t have volunteered a non flash designation, now you can’t tune till it’s done.

There are several reports of Audi not adhering their CPO warranty even though the vehicle was tuned by the previous owner.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
That’s some sneaky shitt fo sho but it’s documented when I took possession and the mileage. If the car is tuned, isnt it clear when and at what mileage?
not that it matters, im going Fcp euro IS38 UM in a few months. Buying the turbo manana.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
That’s some sneaky shitt fo sho but it’s documented when I took possession and the mileage. If the car is tuned, isnt it clear when and at what mileage?
From what I’ve been told by employees of dealers no.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m always straight up when I have to go to the dealer. They appreciate it but also understand I drive a GTI as all of them do. Pretty sure last repair they flashed it to test drive as my car did not sound or move stock or at all when they drove it on the loop around the property.