GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Leak?

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
As I recall, MK4 and MK5 ECU's could not report this. I never had a MK6 so I don't know (liked my MK5 too much).

Mk6 reported TD1. Never affected my warranty though. Like i said 5 water pumps all covered.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Friend had a MK6 with ARP stage 2. Transmission blew, so he had everything flashed back to stock ECU and TCU, and took it in to the dealer about a week later and they covered it all.
Sounds like this is a hit or miss thing, unless now with the new ODIS, things have changed completely.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I know the R has the two side radiators in addition to the main one. Has anyone else had any coolant leaks on their R's?

Are the two side ones radiators or are they oil coolers? Big difference. One has coolant flowing through it and the other has oil. I'm still learning the Golf R so this is an honest question.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I've had to top mine up with coolant a couple of times in 10K miles. No smell, no sign of leaks, maybe a couple of hundred ml total added. Other people have reported the same, so I've decided it may be one of those "they all do that" things.

In the garage I keep a couple of clear condiment squeeze bottles (a couple of bucks each at the grocery) with premixed 50/50 coolant/distilled water. One's blue (BMW), the other pink (VW G13). Makes it easy to do top-ups as needed.

Neil

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Just so we are clear....the coolant "overflow" tank is exactly that, it's the extra coolant pushed out of the system as the engine heats up and materials expand. As things contract, it will suck coolant back in from the overflow tank. So make sure if you're thinking you're running low you are considering if the car is hot or cold. The level with fluctuate a large amount from when you start the car cold to when it warms up.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Are the two side ones radiators or are they oil coolers? Big difference. One has coolant flowing through it and the other has oil. I'm still learning the Golf R so this is an honest question.

From what I've gathered, the passenger side opening is an auxiliary radiator and the driver side opening is a DSG transmission fluid cooler. If you have a manual, there is no heat exchanger in the driver side location, just a funnel that draws extra air into the engine/transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I've got to get my '16 GTI in to get looked at. I watched the coolant in the overflow get lower and lower til my 10K service. It was at or a hair below the lower mark at 10K. Dealer filled it to the middle of the two marks.

It's been 4.5K miles since and the level has dropped to 1/4" under the 'low' mark. Seems my coolant loss has increased.

I get a faint whiff of coolant under the hood or in my garage. Been looking for leaks ever since I notice the coolant dropping - 9 months now. Haven't found anything yet.

I'm afraid the leak is too slow for a pressure test to show anything. Been there and done that with another vehicle. That coolant loss issue worked itself out when I replaced a sticking thermostat that had no visible signs of leaking.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I've got to get my '16 GTI in to get looked at. I watched the coolant in the overflow get lower and lower til my 10K service. It was at or a hair below the lower mark at 10K. Dealer filled it to the middle of the two marks.

It's been 4.5K miles since and the level has dropped to 1/4" under the 'low' mark. Seems my coolant loss has increased.

I get a faint whiff of coolant under the hood or in my garage. Been looking for leaks ever since I notice the coolant dropping - 9 months now. Haven't found anything yet.

I'm afraid the leak is too slow for a pressure test to show anything. Been there and done that with another vehicle. That coolant loss issue worked itself out when I replaced a sticking thermostat that had no visible signs of leaking.

Thx for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70+

Yesterday while driving on highway around 70-80mph, there is this bing-bong sound and a message about coolant flashes up on the display - didn't get a chance to read the whole thing. Then the red engine coolant warning icon comes on and stays on. Coolant gauge is reading 190 degrees and oil temp is reading about 212. I drive about another 10 miles and stop to have lunch. After lunch when I restart the car the warning icon is gone. I drive the car about 50 miles to home. Next morning I check the coolant level and it is below the low mark so I put about 8 ounces in and it comes up to just below the full mark. There is a green powder throughout the engine bay, but mostly on the left and right sides and mostly toward the front rather than in the center or near the firewall. Any speculation on that green powder and whether it is related to the coolant issue. I use VW pink colored coolant. Car has 19K miles on it and I have put small amounts of coolant in twice before when it has dropped down to or below the low mark.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie

Both sides are auxiliary coolant radiators. The DSG and engine oil coolers are both oil to water coolers that use the normal engine coolant circuit to remove heat (or warm up the oils if cold). The DSG puts enough heat into the cooling system that an additional auxiliary radiator is needed so they have two and not one like a MT R.

Last edited:

Hondan

The low coolant warning came on the other day on my 16 R DSG with 11k miles. Engine temperature was normal and stable. Checked under the hood when I got home. Reservoir level was a tick under the min line. No obvious signs of a leak. I topped it off to right between the lines with just distilled water. I figured it was just a little evaporation. From this thread it seems like it's not unusual to have to top it off occasionally. I'll keep an eye on it.

Blues

Thermostat Housing Leaks

I am new on here - My 14 GTI is just coming up to 50k miles but is 3yrs and 1 month old.

Two weeks ago the problem started with a message saying ACC and Front assist not working. This was followed very quickly by a engine management fault (picture comes up of catalytic converter) then engine went into Limp mode and water and engine temps went haywire.

Took it to my local tech who has the up to date VAG diagnostics -he told me it was a fault in the controls in the thermostat housing. No serviceable parts just a complete new unit needed.

Called my dealer they told me £100 to confirm the issue on diagnostics and then absolutely no guarantee that VW would do anything because it is two weeks out of warranty.

So I asked my guy to sort it. Pump and housing replaced - the housing has clearly been leaking for months, it has coolant residue all over it. The car has sometimes has a coolant smell but never any visible leaks. It seems the leak was evaporating/boiling off before it could drip but has left residue as evidence.

The replacement pump is not in an aluminium housing so its a different design. Replacement housing is the same plastic rubbish as the original.

Should probably have taken it back to the dealer to stand any chance of a goodwill payment towards the work - the unit definitely failed within the warranty period. There was no way of knowing what the issue was though until the housing was removed and that's a big job.

Hope my experience helps others. If anyone wants a pic of the housing that came out I can post one.