GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Leak Questions

afman916

Ready to race!
I’ll keep this short as I’m just trying to get some opinions on diagnosis and next steps for the situation I’m in...

Driving around Saturday and hear ominous chime accompanied by Coolant Low warning on dash. Get home, check coolant - well below Min marking. Can see some coolant pooled at bottom in tray, further investigation with flashlight seems to be pointing to radiator?

2016 with approx 46,000 miles. Coolant filled maybe 3-4 months ago? Noticed it was low and had them top off during oil change.

Mods - JB4, downpipe, engine/tranny mounts, TIP, boost gauge (so manifold is tapped), that’s about it in the engine bay.

What I’m wondering is:

• Based on pics, what do ya’ll think my issue is?
  • Given mileage and mods, what should my approach be re: repair?
  • Think I’m safe to top off and drive for a few days until I can get my game plan sorted/mods off if necessary?
  • Anyone in Raleigh area that knows of mod-friendly, accommodating dealers?

Thanks y’all

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Cars have been kinda known to have issues with thermostat or water pump. It's right below the intake manifold to help give you an idea of if that's where it's at.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Usually it’s the thermostat housing just under the intake manifold.

Burlington VW is where I go and I’m 10 mins from the Raleigh location.

You can top it with some distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

afman916

Ready to race!
Thanks guys - am I ok to top off and drive for a few days so long as I keep my eye on it during the interim?

And thoughts on mods to pull? Just JB4 or do you think I'm going to have to do a total reversal?

cb1111

Unlikely that you'll be able to get this covered under the powertrain warranty or a goodwill repair from VW because of your mods.

Go to a trusted indy and find out where the issue is or validate that it is the waterpump.

Me? I wouldn't do a lot of driving until this is diagnosed.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Mods do not cause coolant leaks.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Go to Burlington VW. It’s covered under warranty and you can leave the JB4 on

Last edited:

cb1111

I think we all know that there is a difference between absolute cause and "you've got mods so we'll deny the repair" especially if any of the mods are near the failure or could vaguely be connected.

It would be nice if it was covered but I wouldn't bet on it.

Navi

Autocross Champion
you can get that covered under warranty with mods. Many have, including myself. The only way I see that being denied is if you have aftermarket hoses or aftermarket radiator, which he doesn't. It's all about finding the right service advisor that uses common sense.

Neilsdeal

Ready to race!
I think we all know that there is a difference between absolute cause and "you've got mods so we'll deny the repair" especially if any of the mods are near the failure or could vaguely be connected.

Having dealt with this recently, dealers should have no problems replacing(in my case) both the pump and thermostat housing despite mods. I've got a stage 2 setup and they only asked about it once. My dealership had supposedly never dealt with a modded GTI(it's a small dealership), but after they contacted VWoA to see if they could honor the warranty...they could and did.

My leak was pre-existing to my mods, though, and I let them know that with proof of purchase of some G13 coolant a few months prior to the ECU flash.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

Tell them to prove it caused the leak. If they can’t (which they can’t), they have to cover it.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

The do cause a rejection of warranty work by VW though.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The do cause a rejection of warranty work by VW though.

No. They have the prove the mods caused the issue and they won’t be able to.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Hopefully you topped it off with the VW coolant. I had a claim be denied on my old rabbit because someone topped it off with regular green coolant and they said it corroded coolant system.