GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Company losing a 5 time repeat customer

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Well it looks like a certain company that starts with an A has a P and an R wants to start charging exorbitant prices for all their stuff and nickel and diming everyone. I've bought 5 APR tunes along with a bunch of their hardware. The issue for me is that what used to be included is now $150 (program switching which was big deal to me.) And it doesn't do any more than previous. They are charging these prices for a SALE on the Mk6 tunes. Mk7 doesn't even have anything on sale AT ALL. Hardware or software. Now I guess I'll have to try Uni or Eurodyne.

Chime in about what you think of their current price change with a Stage 2 programming change and other things that used to be no charge being $150+ now. I'd also be interested in what company you recommend for Stage 1 tuning on a Mk7 R. I must have program switching without having to take the car back to the tuning shop and I also don't want to pay any more than $800. Like I said. Unitronic is at the top of my list, but the closest dealer is about $150 miles from me.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Contact Arin directly at APR on our forums. If he doesn't offer you a discount please share this with us!

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
brinkmen, APR has always offered both a single program as well as multiple programs with program switching and individual features like security mode and theft prevention "a la carte".

The best value was always to buy a loaded ECU with four programs and all features during a sale, and what they are offering now on the MK6 is essentially the same thing -- instead of buying a single program, for $149 extra you get four programs and all features. Note that none of this currently applies to the MK7, since they don't have program switching yet.

I don't believe Arin has the authority to offer discounts.

Soupy454

I AM THE STIG.
Car(s)
R
Putting a new product on sale early in its lifecycle is poor business...that's why mk6 is on sale and the 7 is still full retail. That's basically with everything for sale in the world.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
brinkmen, APR has always offered both a single program as well as multiple programs with program switching and individual features like security mode and theft prevention "a la carte".

The best value was always to buy a loaded ECU with four programs and all features during a sale, and what they are offering now on the MK6 is essentially the same thing -- instead of buying a single program, for $149 extra you get four programs and all features. Note that none of this currently applies to the MK7, since they don't have program switching yet.

I don't believe Arin has the authority to offer discounts.

What you're missing is before when they had the sale, even on the Mk6, it was everything for the $599 price. Now their sale is $599 us $150 if you want the extras. Also it never used to cost anything to go to Stage 2, now it's only free if you buy a BRAND NEW APR downpipe. Notice they were quite specific about the brand new part. So first upgrade to stage 2 programming is now $150-$200 if you buy any other brand downpipe or even a USED APR pipe.

They have nickel and dimed my out of doing business with them. And after some other reading, I just may not tune my R.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
As with any vendor/buyer relationship, if you don't like the price which is being charged for a product, go elsewhere with your business. Then again, you have to ask yourself if others are actually selling you comparable products for lower prices, if not, then you need to weigh the pros and cons of all the alternatives.

Personally, I was a bit upset when I learned that VW wasn't offering the business partner discount on the R which I would get with any other VW or Audi. I looked at the S3 and could get one quite nicely equipped for not much more than the R with that discount, but I wanted the practicality of a hatchback, so I'm now driving an R--quite happily, I might add. But all of that was VW's call, and which car I purchased was my call, as such I don't begrudge VW for their pricing structure.

So think about whether APR's products are worth their asking prices to you, and not whether or not they are offering the products you want on sale. Besides, they could always do the old mark-up/mark-down scheme, but this is just more honest.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
As with any vendor/buyer relationship, if you don't like the price which is being charged for a product, go elsewhere with your business. Then again, you have to ask yourself if others are actually selling you comparable products for lower prices, if not, then you need to weigh the pros and cons of all the alternatives.

Personally, I was a bit upset when I learned that VW wasn't offering the business partner discount on the R which I would get with any other VW or Audi. I looked at the S3 and could get one quite nicely equipped for not much more than the R with that discount, but I wanted the practicality of a hatchback, so I'm now driving an R--quite happily, I might add. But all of that was VW's call, and which car I purchased was my call, as such I don't begrudge VW for their pricing structure.

So think about whether APR's products are worth their asking prices to you, and not whether or not they are offering the products you want on sale. Besides, they could always do the old mark-up/mark-down scheme, but this is just more honest.

Very mature response. What's your thought of doing business with them? We're you thinking about a tune? I like APRs products, it just seems like the same products are getting more and more expensive. But I guess in the long run, that's happening with everything isn't it...

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Sounds like your mad you have to pay for what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not precisely. But nice try starting an argument and giving no feedback about what you think of pricing and products.

I'm annoyed because they now charge significantly more for what is in my eyes the same product I've purchased 5 times from a company.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
What's your thought of doing business with them? We're you thinking about a tune? I like APRs products, it just seems like the same products are getting more and more expensive.

You know, in Economics there's a basic concept called the Laffer Curve, which states that in order to maximize profits, a company needs to raise the price of its goods until the losses from decreased sales offset any gains from that rise in prices. I think that's what's going on here. APR has spent a lot of time developing a brand which is known for quality products and they are trying to capitalize on that identity--something which the firm wasn't able to do in its early years.

If I were going to get my ECU remapped, I'd pay the extra cash (as painful as it may be) and buy APR. With something as important as not making one's engine explode while extracting every extra available horsepower, reputation means a lot to me, and APR has a great reputation. That's not an outright guarantee that things won't go awry, but if it were me, it'd let me sleep well at night. I've seldom regretted paying more for premium products, even though I might not have needed to do so, and have more than once deeply regretted buying the cheaper alternative and suffered the consequences. But that's just me.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I had a good rant about this on another thread. Basically they are able to charge these stupid amounts because it apparently doesn't hurt the bottom line, IE customers are willing to pay for stupid things like an extra $200 to not use their downpipe. The solution to this? Stand up and say F*^K no and go with another company. Driver Motorsport, Eurodyne, Unitronic, GIAC all make top notch products without the new shady business practices of APR.

jjm51

Ready to race!
hey brinkmen.

i appreciate your posts. you seem to always come-across in a very patient and good way.

having said the above, here is my opinion;

it's supply and demand along with your needs and wants.

these can be difficult sometimes when emotion is involved.

if a company's product is lame and/or service sucks, often that will catch-up to them. i will leave my personal experience with a apr out of this. i don't think it would be fair to base my opinion on the one experience i had. good or bad.

on a personal level i have gotten pretty worked-up about 'how lame VW of america is.' even trying to figure-out the VAG/VW home corporate decisions. it does me no good.

i have been waiting for a mk 7 gti for almost a year now. i am hoping this fall to finally get it.

i have made the decision to wait. it's been a little hard, but is the best decision for my situation; needs and wants.

i guess i am saying, in my usual long-winded fashion, is that you ultimately have choices as a consumer. if a company or product doesn't satisfy in any way, you might want to step back and maybe go a different direction.

my .02.

keep posting and safe spirited driving to you.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
I had a good rant about this on another thread. Basically they are able to charge these stupid amounts because it apparently doesn't hurt the bottom line, IE customers are willing to pay for stupid things like an extra $200 to not use their downpipe. The solution to this? Stand up and say F*^K no and go with another company. Driver Motorsport, Eurodyne, Unitronic, GIAC all make top notch products without the new shady business practices of APR.
This!

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
You know, in Economics there's a basic concept called the Laffer Curve, which states that in order to maximize profits, a company needs to raise the price of its goods until the losses from decreased sales offset any gains from that rise in prices. I think that's what's going on here. APR has spent a lot of time developing a brand which is known for quality products and they are trying to capitalize on that identity--something which the firm wasn't able to do in its early years.

If I were going to get my ECU remapped, I'd pay the extra cash (as painful as it may be) and buy APR. With something as important as not making one's engine explode while extracting every extra available horsepower, reputation means a lot to me, and APR has a great reputation. That's not an outright guarantee that things won't go awry, but if it were me, it'd let me sleep well at night. I've seldom regretted paying more for premium products, even though I might not have needed to do so, and have more than once deeply regretted buying the cheaper alternative and suffered the consequences. But that's just me.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Honestly as I said, I've never had any issues with their products. I just hate that they are raising the price just for the heck of it.

True. Honestly this car is so awesome, I may just not tune it.
For a while. Who am I kidding, of course I'm going to tune it at some point. But I want the program switching when I do. I may wait till I'm around 10k miles or more at least though.

hey brinkmen.

i appreciate your posts. you seem to always come-across in a very patient and good way.

having said the above, here is my opinion;

it's supply and demand along with your needs and wants.

these can be difficult sometimes when emotion is involved.

if a company's product is lame and/or service sucks, often that will catch-up to them. i will leave my personal experience with a apr out of this. i don't think it would be fair to base my opinion on the one experience i had. good or bad.

on a personal level i have gotten pretty worked-up about 'how lame VW of america is.' even trying to figure-out the VAG/VW home corporate decisions. it does me no good.

i have been waiting for a mk 7 gti for almost a year now. i am hoping this fall to finally get it.

i have made the decision to wait. it's been a little hard, but is the best decision for my situation; needs and wants.

i guess i am saying, in my usual long-winded fashion, is that you ultimately have choices as a consumer. if a company or product doesn't satisfy in any way, you might want to step back and maybe go a different direction.

my .02.

keep posting and safe spirited driving to you.

Thanks for the response. I hope you get your GTI soon. I don't think you'll be disappointed.