GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Compact Hatch Mod

rfc89747

Ready to race!
After having the R for just over a month, some friendly motorists helped me out with my first mod. With it's new compressed design my rear bumper and hatch are providing 18% more down force due to the improved aero. It might not look great cosmetically, but I recommend it to anyone searching for the best performance.

In all seriousness, I was rear ended by a Focus, who was rear ended by a Camry, who was rear ended by some Chevy cross over because some Honda civic decided to basically come to a complete stop on a highway before moving over to the shoulder. Nobody was hurt, and everyone except the Camry drove away. My damage was minimal, but it still sucks being so new to me. The Chevy was determined to be at fault by the state trouper who came out. I'll be taking my R into a body shop tomorrow to await the claims adjuster.

Oh, and my interior got sprayed with the soup that my girlfriend was eating in the passenger seat lol. Good times...

Damage to my car

Focus who hit me (front)

Camry who hit the Fusion

Focus and Camry

Camry rear

Chevy who hit the Camry

Last edited:

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Congrats on the sweet gains, brah!

Seriously, that sucks big-time. No one hurt, which is the important part. Sorry about your car though. That Camry freakin' bit the big one.

Keep us posted on the repairs.

defcon5

Ready to race!
sorry for the bad news. I have been to this rodeo and is never any fun. I know the pain but no injuries so we are always glad for that.

Is always sad because you see this almost always is because someone is not paying attention. If you see ANY accident, this is almost always the cause...... And avoidable....
Your R looks not so bad and will be not so bad to fix perhaps? Only damage is to hatch?

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Wow that sucks. Last January I had a Ford Expedition that was rear ended by a Mini. Totaled both of our cars. Do not trust the other guys insurance company to take care of your car. I did and they screwed me. Keep control of the process. Good luck, I hope you get your car fixed to your satisfaction.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
sorry for the bad news. I have been to this rodeo and is never any fun. I know the pain but no injuries so we are always glad for that.

Is always sad because you see this almost always is because someone is not paying attention. If you see ANY accident, this is almost always the cause...... And avoidable....
Your R looks not so bad and will be not so bad to fix perhaps? Only damage is to hatch?

Yeah definitely avoidable. The bumper got a little crushed in too.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Aaah yes thank you. I edited the original post. I was wondering why I kept saying Focus when telling the story, and then correcting myself to Fusion. I must have known sub consciously lol

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Wow camery got it the worst. I had a girl hit me a year ago(texting, what else is new), damage was minor, less than your bumper. I wanted the bumper to be completely replaced, but insurance company didn't think so, so their insurance company gave me $500 check to have it painted. In the end I wish I just stuck with getting a new bumper because the auto shop did a terrible job..so just get a new bumper, don't have it sanded and painted.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If it's squashed, you need a new one. And if you have the DAP you could need both rear radar emitter/detectors, at $700 a pop. If you do, make sure the auto shop uses the special radar-transparent paint. Don't buy the excuse that regular paint works just as well. The radar goes out 90 feet with the correct paint job.

Snitt

Ready to race!
I'm glad you and your lady friend are OK. It looked like a pretty nasty accident for the cars behind you. :(

I agree with The Fed. Have their insurance buy you a new bumper. You don't want to mess around with safety components on your car once they have performed their intended function.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
These are the reasons every time someone hits me, I use my own insurance to fix it and let them sue the at fault party. I'm still out 600 from the asshole that tboned me with no insurance last year.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
If it's squashed, you need a new one. And if you have the DAP you could need both rear radar emitter/detectors, at $700 a pop. If you do, make sure the auto shop uses the special radar-transparent paint. Don't buy the excuse that regular paint works just as well. The radar goes out 90 feet with the correct paint job.

Good point, I didn't even think about the rear sensors (I have DAP). I'll definitely be getting a new bumper. I'll mention that to the body shop and make sure they replace or at least make sure that the sensors are working correctly (it's a family friend so I'm sure he'll do right by me). I called the other guy's insurance today, and they are still fighting with the Camry's insurance for who is going to admit fault.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good point, I didn't even think about the rear sensors (I have DAP). I'll definitely be getting a new bumper. I'll mention that to the body shop and make sure they replace or at least make sure that the sensors are working correctly (it's a family friend so I'm sure he'll do right by me). I called the other guy's insurance today, and they are still fighting with the Camry's insurance for who is going to admit fault.

In my state, whoever started the chain reaction (the last car) is responsible. I think it's the same in PA. There's no "admitting" fault. Doesn't matter why they did just that they did. You should have the contact information for the Chevy. Call their insurance company. The driver should have reported it by now. You should also get your own copy of the accident report from the police. Don't forget the rental car. The Chevy's insurance owes you one regardless of the driver's coverage. Act fast, because I don't know how it works if they don't have enough coverage to pay for everyone. Figure someone will be claiming injuries.

Did you see if your rear cross traffic alert is working properly? If it's offline you should get an error message in the MIB and MFD. Hopefully, all you'll need is a new bumper cover and maybe a wheel alignment. Another thing for your claim. I think they still use styrofoam between the cover and bumper bar that hopefully are not crushed/bent.

Last edited:

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Yes, the officer marked the Chevy as the at fault driver. I have already reported to my insurance and the Chevy's insurance. The insurance companies of the Chevy and the Camry are fighting it out because the Camry person says "I could have stopped, but the Chevy hit me", and the Chevy guy says "The Camry didn't attempt to stop, and because they got in an accident, it was unavoidable for me to hit them".

Basically the Chevy persons insurance doesn't want to have to pay out to 3 other insurance companies, so they are trying to say that they are only at fault for the damages on the Camry and the Camry insurance should pay out to the other two cars.

Nothing I can do, but let the insurance companies squabble. They said even if the police report says the Chevy is at fault it isn't the final say because the officer didn't witness the accident. If I'm not happy with how things are going, I can always go through my insurance and get it taken care of right away, but I don't want to go through my insurance and give them more cause to raise my rates. Also if/when one of the other insurance companies admits liability for my damages, they'll need to pay my deductible.

As for a rental. No need, I have my Jeep to drive around in the mean time.