GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coming from an 2013 MK6

jtbazz1

Ready to race!
Looking to pull the trigger on a 2015 golf r or GTI with PP. I test drove a GTI with PP and while i really liked it, I felt some aspects of my 2013 Drivers Edition GTI were a little bit higher quality. I do have to say the performance and torque on the 2015 are amazing, but in stop and go traffic it was a little too torquey.

Can anyone tell me after living with the car a while how it compares to your MK6. My 2013 only has 5000 miles on it and I am going to take a pretty big hit trading it in so I want all the information I can get.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

SteveX5

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have much to tell you really except coming from a 2011 Mk6 GTi, I got the PP and just love that front diff. It's a game changer on the back roads.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I traded my '11 MK6 in for a MK7 at the end of January, and I prefer the MK7 in virtually every way.
I love how much quicker and sharper the MK7 steers.
I love the additional horsepower and torque.
Around town, my 6 felt sort of heavy. It would take off if I got on it, but there was a sort of sluggishness about it in traffic.
Not so the MK7.
The torque may be off putting to you initially, but you will get used to it.
There are a couple of touches inside the car that seem a bit cheaper than the 6. Notably the 12 volt outlet on the console, and the change holder slots.
The upper panels of the rear doors are hard plastic too.
However, these things are more than offset to me by the overall improvements on the car as a whole.
The car just has much less of a hot hatch feel to it, and more of premium car feel.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I got my '12 manual MK6 in april of '13 with 15k miles. Drove it bone stock besides cosmetic mods till last month, with 46k miles. I've driven my manual MK7 SE w/ LP 800 miles in 2 weeks. I absolutely love this car.

Performance kudos:
-better gas mileage on the highway, slightly less around town (in my experience)
-1st gear is much easier to deal with than the MK6's (mk7= tall gears, mk6= way too short)
-clutch is much grabbier than mk6 (same part # as the Golf R's clutch which comes with 292 hp/280 tq, compared to 210/258)
-no wheel spin even on stock tires
-negligible torque steer
-smoother, more luxurious suspension, yet handles better
-XDS+ set to strong narrows the gap between the non-PP/PP equipped cars
-2.25 turns lock to lock on the steering wheel becomes a luxury you won't want to live without quickly
-(entirely opinion-based) having driven both the MK6 and the MK7, I feel as though the MK7 truly embodies the qualities you think of when you hear the term "german engineering"

Exterior/Interior kudos:
-interior is just as nice as the MK6, just missing that Dynaudio system :\
-LED foglights go so well with the LP headlights, just need a Euroswitch (plug and play!) to run them with your LED DRLs
-bigger sunroof is very nice, only complaint is the tilt function is a little sad (tilts about 1 inch, whereas the mk6's was probably ~2.5-3)
-ambient lighting on the door sills and in the door inserts is SO NICE
-all interior lights are bright white LEDs instead of the yellow ones
-more room in the trunk than mk6

I could definitely say some more things, and would gladly answer any specific questions you have, but I think you get my point that the MK7 is a huge improvement over the MK6. Like many have said before, the MK6 was more of an MK5.5. The MK7 is truly a revolutionary step, as opposed to the MK6's evolutionary step.

supernova_inc

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the euro switch. Love it for dusk/dawn driving which is frequent for me working 7-6. Not blinding people or overusing the HID's but making the vehicle more visible. Just my 2c. I am on the fence of trying a tune. I do not want to take any chance with a warranty but getting an extra 50hp would be a lot of fun. Just a big risk to take to bring it up closer to the speeds of a R

Mike A.

Ready to race!
My 2013 only has 5000 miles on it and I am going to take a pretty big hit trading it in so I want all the information I can get.

I can't imagine taking the financial hit to go from a '13 GTI to a '15 GTI. That is crazy in my mind.

Going from a '13 GTI to a Golf R, while still bad financially is still at least a whole other level of car and performance...imo.

What do you not like about your '13 GTI that makes you want to get rid of it?

pcr

Ready to race!
After only two years of the 2013 car I would want a complete change, else its just more of the same, sounds kind of boring to me.

DAS_STIG

Banned

-2.25 turns lock to lock on the steering wheel becomes a luxury you won't want to live without quickly

no wheelspin? is that when just driving normally, or when you launch because i get plenty of wheel spin on these crappy stock tires.

2.1 turns lock to lock.

sapz

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking to pull the trigger on a 2015 golf r or GTI with PP. I test drove a GTI with PP and while i really liked it, I felt some aspects of my 2013 Drivers Edition GTI were a little bit higher quality. I do have to say the performance and torque on the 2015 are amazing, but in stop and go traffic it was a little too torquey.

Can anyone tell me after living with the car a while how it compares to your MK6. My 2013 only has 5000 miles on it and I am going to take a pretty big hit trading it in so I want all the information I can get.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I went from a 2013 drivers edition GTI with 3500 miles...to the '15 GTI SE because I was constantly obsessing about every little upgrade in the MK7. It's just a better car in every single way. Both my '13 and '15 are APR stage 1.

I lost a ton of money on the deal... But I don't really regret it. If you can afford it- do it.

catdog1

Passed Driver's Ed
With APR I it becomes a real beast and traction is very much an issue even with PP and better diff, would be consideration if thinking of R, on other hand R does not have a proper handbrake (it's electronic) so you won't be able to use it for quick maneuvering/autocross

DAS_STIG

Banned
With APR I it becomes a real beast and traction is very much an issue even with PP and better diff, would be consideration if thinking of R, on other hand R does not have a proper handbrake (it's electronic) so you won't be able to use it for quick maneuvering/autocross

if you're using the handbrake for autox, you're doing it wrong.

Miguel1

Ready to race!
I got my '12 manual MK6 in april of '13 with 15k miles. Drove it bone stock besides cosmetic mods till last month, with 46k miles. I've driven my manual MK7 SE w/ LP 800 miles in 2 weeks. I absolutely love this car.

Performance kudos:
-better gas mileage on the highway, slightly less around town (in my experience)
-1st gear is much easier to deal with than the MK6's (mk7= tall gears, mk6= way too short)
-clutch is much grabbier than mk6 (same part # as the Golf R's clutch which comes with 292 hp/280 tq, compared to 210/258)
-negligible torque steer
-smoother, more luxurious suspension, yet handles better
-XDS+ set to strong narrows the gap between the non-PP/PP equipped cars
-(entirely opinion-based) having driven both the MK6 and the MK7, I feel as though the MK7 truly embodies the qualities you think of when you hear the term "german engineering"

Exterior/Interior kudos:
-interior is just as nice as the MK6, just missing that Dynaudio system :\
-LED foglights go so well with the LP headlights, just need a Euroswitch (plug and play!) to run them with your LED DRLs
-bigger sunroof is very nice, only complaint is the tilt function is a little sad (tilts about 1 inch, whereas the mk6's was probably ~2.5-3)
-ambient lighting on the door sills and in the door inserts is SO NICE
-all interior lights are bright white LEDs instead of the yellow ones
-more room in the trunk than mk6

I could definitely say some more things, and would gladly answer any specific questions you have, but I think you get my point that the MK7 is a huge improvement over the MK6. Like many have said before, the MK6 was more of an MK5.5. The MK7 is truly a revolutionary step, as opposed to the MK6's evolutionary step.

You can get a euroswitch for under 40$ in most cases off of eBay from China. I realized they were OEM VW switches along with the tail lights. I installed those yesterday and they look amazing.

For OP: My MK7 GTI was the first car I ever bought new and I sometimes regret getting this car and not going for a 5.0 but whenever I get back in it, something keeps me coming back. I try to learn something new everyday about my car like shift points, little hiding spots, etc. I really love my car and couldn't see myself driving anything else. This car is truly a great car and every time I drive it I feel that again and again. Got me into some speeding tickets though..