GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Check Tank Cover" Notification

lowNslo

Canadian Bacon
Car(s)
08 GTI UG
2015 GTI Autobahn, 30,000kms. This past week I get this notification on the dash. I have checked & re-checked the tank cover (gas cap). Still comes back on. Also, intermittently I get a traction control error at start up, car will idle for a few minutes, clears itself. I'm hearing there is a software upgrade available. Any feed back appreciated. ??

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
On my 3rd purge valve. Just replaced yesterday. From the sounds of what the service adviser said, seems like there's a revision, but we didn't get that far when talking. I'm willing to bet my savings account you need yours replaced as well.

I started by getting the same indicator every couple of months and later began getting CEL p0413, "SAI stuck open" and once p0491 "solenoid". Been a common fix on the mk7 now. I'd absolutely have the dealer go this route.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
2015 GTI Autobahn, 30,000kms. This past week I get this notification on the dash. I have checked & re-checked the tank cover (gas cap). Still comes back on. Also, intermittently I get a traction control error at start up, car will idle for a few minutes, clears itself. I'm hearing there is a software upgrade available. Any feed back appreciated. ??

I hope that you are not in the habit of topping off your gas tank, this can damage your car's vapor collection system, Overfilling the gas tank can cause liquid gas to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter. sometimes not covered under warranty.

Engineeringtech

I hope that you are not in the habit of topping off your gas tank, this can damage your car's vapor collection system, Overfilling the gas tank can cause liquid gas to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter. sometimes not covered under warranty.

Why? Why would they design a system that can be damaged by topping off the tank? I've worked in engineering for 35 years. We try and design stuff that is fool proof. And they certainly wouldn't do it without TELLING PEOPLE. I'm sure this is an old wives tale...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It's the same on all gas vehicles. We're talking everyday vehicles not race cars. I think you'll find the warning in the owners manual.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Yea your not supposed to top off the tank, some cars are more sensitive than others.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Why? Why would they design a system that can be damaged by topping off the tank? I've worked in engineering for 35 years. We try and design stuff that is fool proof. And they certainly wouldn't do it without TELLING PEOPLE. I'm sure this is an old wives tale...

Definitely NOT an "old wives tale". Do a little research - bad idea to top off your tank, and very possibly the root cause of the problem at hand.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Depends on what we're calling topping off.

Fill til spill is definitely bad for some components and dangerous as well. Adding 3/10ths to get to an even number ($$) isn't a big deal.

Original thread necromancer quoting a post from 3 years ago :p

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Definitely NOT an "old wives tale". Do a little research - bad idea to top off your tank, and very possibly the root cause of the problem at hand.

Reason #6,347 I hate NJ. I have had to get out of my car and stop attendants from topping my tank off after giving them explicit instructions not to. One time I even had one get upset a didn't tip them afterwards.