GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check Coolant.

SmokinCAT

What is the story on the check coolant light versus check coolant level?

Been randomly getting this message, some times when it’s cold at first start and other times it’s just random.

Jas76

What the Fed said. I had the same light come on the other day. Just a little low after 20k+ miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I’ve been topping up the coolant 2-3 times a year since taking delivery of my 2015. No visible leakage, no coolant smell. I keep some G13 50/50 mix in a condiment squeeze bottle in the garage.

Another case of “They all do that”?

Neil

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I’ve been topping up the coolant 2-3 times a year since taking delivery of my 2015. No visible leakage, no coolant smell. I keep some G13 50/50 mix in a condiment squeeze bottle in the garage.

Neil

Some people have been saying coolant leaks are common and should be fixed under warranty. I've had mine topped up twice in 2 years (not sure if that's enough to justify complaining).. Right now it's at the "min" line, but i have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for an unrelated issue so will have them take a quick look.

I'll see if they want to do anything but i'm guessing they'll just want to top it up.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

Neil

That is how mine is, dealer found no leaks.

bradst3r

Ready to race!
MY 2015 had a slow thermostat leak a little after 2 years of ownership. I would see the level go low every so often and would have to top it off. I asked them to check it one time it was in and low and behold there was a small leak. Not enough to drip and be noticeable without really looking under the belly pan so most don't see it. I didn't have any smell of coolant until right before I got it fixed, it started smelling after the car was ran.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
MY 2015 had a slow thermostat leak a little after 2 years of ownership. I would see the level go low every so often and would have to top it off. I asked them to check it one time it was in and low and behold there was a small leak. Not enough to drip and be noticeable without really looking under the belly pan so most don't see it. I didn't have any smell of coolant until right before I got it fixed, it started smelling after the car was ran.

This happened to me. Slow leak where every 5k (since 15k) it would need to be topped up. Finally after 35k they found it. Self sealed itself pretty much so they couldn't find it during pressure test. Anyways, got it replaced and no fills up since. Granted I am only 6k from replacement but usually 5k on the dot, I would get a warning.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I have an obvious coolant leak. Small puddles on the driver side. Probably going to cost me an arm and a leg at the stealership.....

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Some people have been saying coolant leaks are common and should be fixed under warranty. I've had mine topped up twice in 2 years (not sure if that's enough to justify complaining).. Right now it's at the "min" line, but i have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for an unrelated issue so will have them take a quick look.

I'll see if they want to do anything but i'm guessing they'll just want to top it up.

No leak visible from the top and slow enough that i didn't see anything in my parking spot at home, but they said as soon as it was up on the hoist the leak was obvious and they ordered me a replacement part. They said it's been revised so the new part shouldn't have the same problem.

Also said that it's fairly common for our cars.