GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catted DP and passing readiness

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
I have a question for those with an aftermarket DP, catted or not. How are you passing readiness? I assume a spacer but which one is working for you? Angled a certain way? I'm not talking about a tune clearing out a CEL, just passing enough stages of readiness to clear an obd-II check. Thanks in advance.

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
My understanding with readiness is that its dependent more on the tune than the DP. For instance, a mk7 golf R APR stage 2 requires an APR downpipe and since that downpipe would otherwise throw a CEL, APR sets the O2 sensor to "not ready", so you dont get a CEL. Even with an AWE DP, if you have a APR stage 2 tune, it will very likely be "not ready."

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
That's true, but it would be up to end customer to let tuner know what you're looking for and what dp you're running. If awe's says it won't trip an idiot light oem stock, then it also would stand to reason it wouldn't tuned, up to the customer to relay his/her wishes to tuner, in that case leaving the rear o2 alone in the tuning.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
That's true, but it would be up to end customer to let tuner know what you're looking for and what dp you're running. If awe's says it won't trip an idiot light oem stock, then it also would stand to reason it wouldn't tuned, up to the customer to relay his/her wishes to tuner, in that case leaving the rear o2 alone in the tuning.

Can UM tuners do this per my request? I am thinkning about going with UM stage 2 combo.
How much did you pay for the combo?

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Can UM tuners do this per my request? I am thinkning about going with UM stage 2 combo.
How much did you pay for the combo?

Think it was $1400. I'm sure they can, probably depends on which dp you're gonna run, bit of advice, I'd call though instead of emailing :)

Honestly if you're worried about the dp just run their tune first, it might be enough. I've got 2 R's, one with a drop in k&n filter and their ecu/tcu tune and the one modded in my signature, I'm happy with both, but the tune only one is really impressive. The only bolt on that has mattered perf wise IMO, is the dp but it's not night and day like on an Sti or even mk6.

And if you upgrade to different tuning it costs nothing, at least from UM

csusino84

Passed Driver's Ed
UM full software here with AWE DP in NYC. Just a simple flash to stock allowed all monitors to clear and then passed with flying colors. No spacers required.
Catalytic placement will vary on DP or lack of, and would affect wether you need a spacer or not.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
UM full software here with AWE DP in NYC. Just a simple flash to stock allowed all monitors to clear and then passed with flying colors. No spacers required.
Catalytic placement will vary on DP or lack of, and would affect wether you need a spacer or not.
Thanks for the response. I'm currently just running a jb1 with DP and no CEL, but I'm not clearing readiness. Planning on going full tune real soon and was just wondering what people were doing.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Just did it here in NH, flashed to stock from stage 2 and ran a drive cycle. I do have a vibrant j spacer on my catted downpipe to prevent a CEL though. For your info make sure your fuel tank is between 75% & 25% full when you run the drive cycle otherwise some of the monitors may not reset... ask me how I know. I have the bentley repair manual so let me know if you need to know exactly what the drive cycle looks like.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
Just did it here in NH, flashed to stock from stage 2 and ran a drive cycle. I do have a vibrant j spacer on my catted downpipe to prevent a CEL though. For your info make sure your fuel tank is between 75% & 25% full when you run the drive cycle otherwise some of the monitors may not reset... ask me how I know. I have the bentley repair manual so let me know if you need to know exactly what the drive cycle looks like.

Thanks for the response. Weird that your fuel level had to be a certain level. You can force readiness through VCDS, did you try that too? So I'm assuming just the "stock" file UNI provides worked?

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Unfortunately I did not have a Ross-Tech cable at the time, but I have since rectified that. Yeah Uni's stock file worked perfectly.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the response. Weird that your fuel level had to be a certain level. You can force readiness through VCDS, did you try that too? So I'm assuming just the "stock" file UNI provides worked?

What do you mean by force readiness?