GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car won’t start. No turn over. Battery fully charged.

Fitzpa

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf S 5-speed
Hello!

I drive a 2015 Mk7 Golf S with the 5-speed manual transmission.
I haven’t be able to start my car for a couple of weeks now. Happened out of nowhere. Car started fine earlier that day and then went to start it and no engine turn over at all, just a sort of clicking and the dashboard kind of pulses or flickers.

Took my battery out and brought it to my local Autozone. They tested it and said it was good and then fully charged it for me. (I don’t fully trust this Autozone because all of the employees I’ve interacted with there don’t seem like they know much about cars and just needed a job.)

Reinstalled the fully charged battery and I get the same behavior.

Probably jumped the gun on this next bit, but thinking that it was probably the starter,
I ordered a new starter off fcpeuro.com and installed that yesterday. Still getting the same behavior.

If I take my multimeter and test the voltage on the battery when trying to start the engine I’m getting a reading of around 5 volts.

I haven’t tested voltage on the starter motor yet. Will hopefully get to that today.

Also I’m not sure what fuse I should check if one of those was blown.

I’ll attach a video of me trying to start the engine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
If you only have 5 volts at the battery, that's a problem. It should not drop anywhere near that low even when you are trying to start it.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
That really looks like a battery that met its end.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yep, I'm on my third battery on my 2017 GTI - the previous two died in exactly the same way....seemed perfectly fine, then all of a sudden totally and utterly dead; even starting and driving won't help. With previous (older) cars I've usually had some sort of advance warning like sluggish starts etc, but these seem to be all or nothing. Highly recommend to everyone to carry one of those small jump-packs in the glove box - the first time my battery went it was when I stopped at a gas station (after the car started just fine 30 mins before). Jump pack was a lifesaver....I used it there and then, then needed it again when I got to my friends house after a further 45mins of driving....then one last time when when I picked up a replacement battery at Advance Auto.