GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Ramp safety

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I have no garage, no level street, and a yard with a gravel parking area that has a minor decline to it (maybe around 5 degree or less). Would it be safe to back my car up the gravel parking area, put ramps at the bottom, and drive up onto them for oil changes and minor work?

Anyone have any tips for working on your car in a situation like I have. How about using a large square sheet of wood on a flat yard to jack and place a jack stand for none under car work, like pulling a tire for a brake job?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

Pingers

Ready to race!
I would never trust thin plywood to hold up a couple thousand pounds. I think if you can push the gravel away to get the ramps to sit evenly, flat on the ground would be the best option.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
You need to find a level garage/street to work on. People die from not being careful enough with car jacks.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
for oil changes, i would get the oil extractor. I purchased the one from ECS and experimented with my minivan, a little messy my first time, but next time I know how to do it without a mess. In less than 20 minutes it was done, and never had to go under the vehicle. GTI is next.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Hmmm, so it seems like I might be out of luck here. To better clarify, I'd be looking to use the ramps on a gravel surface. The jack/wood solution would be used on level ground, but it is grass (worse surface I know, but at least its level). I've created this amazing diagram to better show my situation. The brown is my house, then green grass, and grey sloping gravel parking area.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hmmm, so it seems like I might be out of luck here. To better clarify, I'd be looking to use the ramps on a gravel surface. The jack/wood solution would be used on level ground, but it is grass (worse surface I know, but at least its level). I've created this amazing diagram to better show my situation. The brown is my house, then green grass, and grey sloping gravel parking area.

Very modern house you have.
Your cars look like Rat Rod's. Cool.

In any case make sure you wheel chock.
On a slope chock as many wheels as you can.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I'm thinking of burying two pieces of conduit per ramp at the bottom of the slope where the ramps would sit. Then when I place the ramps, I could drop 4 pieces of ribar in front of the ramps so they wouldn't slide forward. Then chock the back two wheels (maybe) also with a piece of wood anchored with a stake. That should be relatively safe right?

That still leaves me with the inability to pull my tires if necessary, unless I can make the yard jacking solution safer in anyway.