GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshafted

Josh64

Ready to race!
Had my oil changed and the camshaft recall "fix" completed on Friday. Washed and waxed it on Saturday. Went on a road trip on Sunday to see a football game in a different city and the camshaft bit the dust.

Wunderbar

Hopefully the camshaft breaking didn't cause any more damage to the engine.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What camshaft recall?
Is it only 2015's?

And sorry to hear that. Did they give you a loaner?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
What camshaft recall?
Is it only 2015's?

And sorry to hear that. Did they give you a loaner?

The intake cam has a lobe on the end of it that drives the high pressure fuel pump. I believe this lobe is pressed on.

On some cars the lobe was failing. Interestingly, the fix was a software one. No one knows for sure, but it is thought that VW put a power limit, rev limit or both until the car gets to operating temp. This would take load off of the lobe until the car is warm.

Maybe the pressed on lobe was warming faster than the shaft leaving it vulnerable to spinning on the shaft?

I think the ultimate fix was different tolerancing on this assembly and the above software modifications.

anjoVW

Ready to race!
Scary, I had the same recall fix done to mine a couple months back (bought mine June 2015). Haven't had issues yet, hopefully it's not a common thing. Hope things get sorted out with you and your dealer.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Do you have the link?

Sorry I didn't get back but was t boned in my work truck yesterday. I believe one of the other posters was right, you would have been notified. I inquired about this at the dealer and the salesman, fwiw, told me the issue was solved before mine was built. I'll look for the right but I found it through good old Google.