GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying Second Car

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
A gal I work with went to the Toyota/Scion dealership to get a new Prius and came out with one of these. Go figure.

Sounds like wife material :laugh:

czhao1009

Ready to race!
Nice!
this might be a little off topic but what about a used Z4 or even Z4m, i believe you can get them for under $30k?

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like wife material :laugh:

I asked her how it drove and accelerated through turns, and she said she drives like a grandma. I persisted but this was her final answer... :confused:

So no, prolly not wife mat'l at all... :iono:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I asked her how it drove and accelerated through turns, and she said she drives like a grandma. I persisted but this was her final answer... :confused:

So no, prolly not wife mat'l at all... :iono:

So did she buy it because it was cute? :yikes:

P

plac

just today i saw a red one and darker grey one on my street. (FRS)

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I test drove a 2012 Evo X GSR today. I couldn't get on it too hard because the salesman was in the car (damn rear seats!) but I was impressed. If I had cross-shopped this against my STI hatch a couple years ago, I probably would have bought this instead. The engine's got less lag and the twin-scroll keeps power delivery fairly smooth. The Evo's also got better steering feel than the STI. The real surprise for me was that the Evo's 5-speed transmission was pretty good aside from a high clutch engagement point. Had good pedal spacing for heel-toe, unlike the STI where the transmission tunnel got in the way. Like the Mini Cooper S, I was able to get comfortable driving the Evo fairly quickly. It's not as raw as my friend's Evo 9, for better or worse, but I definitely had fun.

The main thing that scared me off was the cost of upkeep. Judging by comments on the Evo forums, the clutch/brakes/tires should be viewed as 15-25k mile items. Major fluids (coolant, rear axle, transfer, transmission) at 30k miles. Combined with a 17/23 EPA gas rating, this would suck your wallet dry pretty quickly. Fun car though, and I'd recommend it over the STI unless you needed the practicality of the hatch.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
A gal I work with went to the Toyota/Scion dealership to get a new Prius and came out with one of these. Go figure.

Even if she isn't wife material, at least you get to look at this everyday in the parking lot instead of another Prius. Fortunately no one at my office owns one.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Why is this surprising. I thought it would be more surprising if it didn't sell well.

Because the car looks terrible on paper... but I suppose time will tell :D I like em...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Because the car looks terrible on paper... but I suppose time will tell :D I like em...

Totally agree. A compact, back-to-basics, RWD coupe priced in the mid 20's - just awful! WTF were they thinking...

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well look what followed me home

Test-drove the Cayman S and FR-S yesterday. The Cayman S was great, but went with the FR-S in the end. The FR-S is such a balanced neutral car to drive on back roads. Only had time to snap a few pictures, will put up more thoughts/pics later.

FR-S:

GTI, meet FR-S:

I know, the GTI is really dirty :(

pressure drop

Ready to race!
I think your comments are spot on... Honestly though I'd prob go with a mini cooper.

You should also drive a genesis coupe.

I would prefer the new gencoupe [either the 4 or 6cyl] over the cars on this list.

OP: why didnt you test drive the STI? That would be my pick.