GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Button under Accelerator

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
I thought​ that it disabled the A/C and the like so you're not "wasting" power when doing an overtake or something. Perhaps that is a myth though.

Not a myth, just something not done anymore. VAG has been using scroll type compressors for nearly two decades now that don't need to cycle the clutch to take the load off. Modern compressors can change internally to go from full load to basically no load and anywhere in between without disengaging. The engine computer can move the compressor to no load by following programmed mapping.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Went to town this AM.
Came back on the interstate.
At 75mph, DSG in manual mode, 6th gear.
Pressed the gas all way down and pushed the button.

Car shifted to 3rd and RPM's climbed.
So an overtake or emergency button.
I was suprised at 3rd gear. I thought maybe down to 4th.
Not sure about lower speeds but shifting to 3rd in most situations make sense as 3rd pulls hard and is a safe gear in most situations.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Went to town this AM.
Came back on the interstate.
At 75mph, DSG in manual mode, 6th gear.
Pressed the gas all way down and pushed the button.

Car shifted to 3rd and RPM's climbed.
So an overtake or emergency button.
I was suprised at 3rd gear. I thought maybe down to 4th.
Not sure about lower speeds but shifting to 3rd in most situations make sense as 3rd pulls hard and is a safe gear in most situations.

DSG will select the lowest possible gear. I don't think the R will select 3rd at that high a speed.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If the OP has the button for no apparent reason perhaps it was installed by mistake. He could pull the carpet back to see if there are any wires connected to it. The color coding should indicate where they go.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've never heard of this button, anyone got a picture?

I am sure parked with car off you can feel it.
When the gas is pressed down you can hear it click.
I first learned of this in my wife's new Tucson.
It is a 1.6L Turbo and one hose was not bolted correctly and the clamp slipped off. With no boost the car drove like an SUV with a 1.6L NA engine. Making it home I would have to press the gas all the way down and felt the button. When pressed, the engine would rev but with no boost, the engine did not pull any harder. Luckily once I mounted flex pipe correctly all was good.

The button is almost like a panic button. One has to really press far to activate it. In some way it would surprise most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Guys, guys, guys, please stop guessing and assuming it is a mistake that a manual car this "button". It's a kickdown switch and its purpose is to let the car know you need all of the power it has! What it does on the MT cars is disable the compressor for the AC temporarily as well as other power consuming devices like heated windows, mirrors and so on. Also, in Europe at least where we get the Speed Limiter along with the cruise control, it serves to disable it temporalily to get out of a sticky situation, e.g. an overtake, as Geomets correctly mentioned before. I have an 1.6 TDI 6MT and have this button. I think every car has it, you just have to push the pedal quite firmly to engage it.