GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brembo OEM+ brake setup

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I see they’re using the OE two left rotors like my Mk8 R. Interesting that they’re listed as 358x30, I suppose that’s a different application since Mk8R size is 357x34. But still the same hat design and directional setup, pity it’s only correct on one side. I’ll be switching to GiroDisc before tracking.
yeah I dunno why dave is talking about the OE discs. they're all wrong on one side. anyone who cares about mass is going to an aftermarket 2-piece.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
yeah I dunno why dave is talking about the OE discs. they're all wrong on one side. anyone who cares about mass is going to an aftermarket 2-piece.
I was giving the weights of the OEM discs as the OP replied to me:- "Also, the MEB disc weighs ~as OEM 340... and this kit comes as a bolt on setup.."

The OEM 340mm has 2 different main weights with the flawed "clubsport" being just under the 10kg weight each...& I was comparing it to the ones the OP is suggesting...

I wouldn't buy the OEM clubsport disc (also used on Audi) as they used the same "blank" for both sides...meaning on one wheel the internal vanes rotate the wrong way....& the disc gets hotter...well known over here & was reported a few years back in a UK VWmagazine...

Several aftermarket companies do other 2 piece discs....

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Way too defensive?? me?? not a chance...
You're feeling so sure about my way of thinking so you can express
your opinion about me??

No time for silly arguments here mate...

YOU have referred to alloy bracket failures... like it's a common case!
Now... that was a really misleading /annoying statement... and I responded with facts...

You’re the one posting angry emojis, so yeah I feel like you’re getting pretty defensive over a simple question.

I referred to one vendor as a similarity (not even by name), about their failure, and asked what testing went into yours. CAD models are one thing, letting your customers be the real world test subject is another.

That’s why I asked what testing had been done with yours. Which from your response means there hasn’t been, other than studying. Which is cool, I get it, you’re putting all your faith in CAD models from what I can see. Oh yeah, and seven years of manufacturing, of what?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You’re the one posting angry emojis, so yeah I feel like you’re getting pretty defensive over a simple question.

I referred to one vendor as a similarity (not even by name), about their failure, and asked what testing went into yours. CAD models are one thing, letting your customers be the real world test subject is another.

That’s why I asked what testing had been done with yours. Which from your response means there hasn’t been, other than studying. Which is cool, I get it, you’re putting all your faith in CAD models from what I can see. Oh yeah, and seven years of manufacturing, of what?

I also noted the "7yrs" from the OP...

The UK company (VBT) which had the bracket failures & rectified the parts & helped the customers out....well, their FB page was started in 2012yr.....& the company was incorporated in summer 2011yr...

I'd be happy to use their (VBT) products...as anybody can have a one off "bad design", stuff happens, its how you sort the problem out that matters!

I think this new person is trying too hard to justify his product to be better, but in reality there are better/lighter options already out there.....

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
they used the same "blank" for both sides...
Excellent point!
Same deal on the OE rear rotors too.
StopTech offers a fairly inexpensive replacement:
20180224_213030.jpg

scrllock

Autocross Champion

this is a very fair question. stress-testing brackets is definitely something that I'd want to see more of than "we studied CAD models from other BBKs."

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
this is a very fair question. stress-testing brackets is definitely something that I'd want to see more of than "we studied CAD models from other BBKs."

Exactly.....however real life finds problems that testing can't find.....MK1 Audi TT that had to be recalled & retrofitted with the ESC/ESP systems & a small rear wing anyone??...

Reactions: krs

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Unless this new brake set up is going to be substantially cheaper than current options, I'm struggling to see a market for it as its already full of established options.
If we discount the 'proper' aftermarket BBK options offered by the likes of AP Racing etc. there are already a number of established ways to increase the braking performance / looks for MQB vehicles.
If you want a larger calliper with an easy bolt on option without the fuss of changing OE discs or adding brackets, there are the TTS or Macan options.
If you want the option of a larger calliper and larger brake disc, then there are the options of RS3, TTRS, Aston Martin, Seat (amongst others) that also use additional brackets to choose from. All of these are 'top loading' too for easier / quicker pad changes.
Is the OP just trying to add a further option that offers exactly the same as what is already available (in an already saturated market) or an option that is substantially cheaper / better than what is currently available?
I personally only see a market for these if it's the latter if I'm honest.

Last edited: