GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boys, what do you think about the new M2

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
You aren't finding a new G82 M4 for the budget the OP is looking at. Even a base M4 in a manual you are spending north of $80k

"Never considered the M2 cause I thought it’d be 80k. It’s 68k as I’d spec it LOADED, wait is 18 months, it’d never see the track. So bros, your thoughts on specs, value and looks please."
Truth. The $ matters

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You aren't finding a new G82 M4 for the budget the OP is looking at. Even a base M4 in a manual you are spending north of $80k

"Never considered the M2 cause I thought it’d be 80k. It’s 68k as I’d spec it LOADED, wait is 18 months, it’d never see the track. So bros, your thoughts on specs, value and looks please."

Truth. The $ matters

I didn’t know he was only considering new, but I feel like the point is moot if his intentions are to drive the M2 cross country (it’s not well suited for that).

If that price range & being new are important a M440i Coupe fits his needs better than the M2 or M4.

99% of people who’d see him as just another old dude with a C8 would also not know the difference between a M440i & a M2 /M4

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/4-series/coupe/bmw-m.html

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I didn’t know he was only considering new, but I feel like the point is moot if his intentions are to drive the M2 cross country (it’s not well suited for that).

If that price range & being new are important a M440i Coupe fits his needs better than the M2 or M4.

99% of people who’d see him as just another old dude with a C8 would also not know the difference between a M440i & a M2 /M4

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/4-series/coupe/bmw-m.html

I think this is one of those agree to disagree scenarios, but seems to me he knows what he is getting into with the cars (718, C8, Emira, Golf R, M2) he's looked at/considering in terms of driving across country. He referenced a Golf R when he made the cross country statement, so if he's willing to drive a Golf R cross country than an M2 isn't going to be much different. I think I'm semi qualified to make that statement now that I own a F87 M2c and had the R for four years. The amount of driver room in both is fairly similar.
Would a larger car like the M440i be more comfortable for a cross country drive?...I'm sure it would be but again doesn't seem like he is focused on that type of car.
I honestly think driving the M2 or R across country would be a blast especially as you got into my neck of the woods in Colorado and into Utah where you could hit some great mountain backroads...and to clarify I'm approx the same age as the OP at 54 y/o
My original plan with my M2c was to fly into Florida and drive it back 2k miles to Denver, but decided against it when I realized I'd spend close to what it would cost to just ship it enclosed and not put on the extra mileage.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I’ve been shopping for my next GT empty nest sled. Test drove lots of 718s, C8s and the Emira (once on invite) and they’ve all failed me:
718s: stupid 5k increase for FOUR cylinders, no more T
Emira: 15k increase and emiraforum filled with random mechanical gremlins driving off hethel grounds + the AMG 4 is rumored to have cooling issues F that
C8: I LOVE the HTC but I’m 59. I keep cars 8-10 years, I’d be just another old douche in a vette the day I brought it home
So after all that I said F it, I’ll buy a Golf R, throw 10k EQT on it and done, perfect car I could park overnight in Philly, road-trip to CA, generally worry free perfect GT.
So with that as the baseline, I started a “what else does what a Golf R does” search.
Never considered the M2 cause I thought it’d be 80k. It’s 68k as I’d spec it LOADED, wait is 18 months, it’d never see the track. So bros, your thoughts on specs, value and looks please.
cheers Rick
ive attached 2 opposing reviews for your pleasure. I’d spec the sweet blue w black wheels, auto ZF
pro
con
Sat in this blue car Thursday, super comfy (union park)
So I’ve been wondering what you’ve driven and what do you think? I’d bet that the g87 drives really well but I wonder if it feels heavy compared to the F87? Please share your perspective if you don’t mind.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
looks like the 2023 Supra outperforms it in every way. I would like either, I can buy neither :)

Well I guess I could... embrace that paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
looks like the 2023 Supra outperforms it in every way. I would like either, I can buy neither :)

Well I guess I could... embrace that paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.
I think about the mk7 supra as well, but I think I’d rather have a c8. I’m unsure that the Supra outperforms the m2 as I’m sure small mods and driver make a big difference when comparing the 2. I think it all comes down to the drive and the subjectivity to what the buyer wants, ultimately. Hoping the op posts up about what he decides as this might be the performance leap that many of us are wanting to make, or have already made.

Reactions: the

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
It was so easy for us to pick "the best car" in the 30-50k range... basically its a Golf R w/ mods and you are done with it... but choosing one tier higher, like 50-70k range... Much harder to choose, and all the cars have their drawbacks (and they hurt much more as you are already spending a lot more)

Thank god I don't have the money for this dilema lol, when I do ponder what I would get if I was searching in that price bracket... I have no idea.... Im probably just gonna keep this car for a long time unless something really nice with no major drawbacks finally comes out...

Let us know what you go for OP!

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
It was so easy for us to pick "the best car" in the 30-50k range... basically its a Golf R w/ mods and you are done with it... but choosing one tier higher, like 50-70k range... Much harder to choose, and all the cars have their drawbacks (and they hurt much more as you are already spending a lot more)

Thank god I don't have the money for this dilema lol, when I do ponder what I would get if I was searching in that price bracket... I have no idea.... Im probably just gonna keep this car for a long time unless something really nice with no major drawbacks finally comes out...

Let us know what you go for OP!
100% agree that the leap from a modded Golf R to anything that’s a little better, performance-wise, is a difficult move to make. I find myself looking at M cars, P cars, even Corvettes (though I’m not quite ready for my Silver Fox stage). Difficult to find a car that can match or exceed the overall performance of the R for less than $50k.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
F87 Comp owner here so I'm biased. I don't care for the G87 at all, though now that I've seen one in the flesh, I hate it a little less. But I can't handle the hideous iDrive 8 massive screen on the dash and that alone would be a show-stopper for me.

If you want a few good laughs, check out the G87 forums at Bimmerpost. Every time somebody writes or YouTube's a negative review, a bunch of posters lose their minds. Somebody writes an overwhelmingly positive review, they praise him. It's tragically hilarious. Confirmation bias is a helluva drug. Who cares if someone says something negative about your beloved new car? Sheesh.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Old douche in a vette, old douche in a BMW, what's the difference? At least one uses turn signals?

Honestly, drive what makes you happy and ignore the stereotypes and memes. The C8 punches above its weight in performance and IMO looks sick, I mean its mid-engine. The real drawback for me is the fact it doesn't come in manual.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Old douche in a vette, old douche in a BMW, what's the difference? At least one uses turn signals?

Honestly, drive what makes you happy and ignore the stereotypes and memes. The C8 punches above its weight in performance and IMO looks sick, I mean its mid-engine. The real drawback for me is the fact it doesn't come in manual.
I may be in the minority, but the previous Vette looks better to me. The mid engine one looks cartoonish.