GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB Stage 1 Released

Allistar

Silly question, but does anyone else worry about getting your oil changed at the dealer while tuned with JB1?

Will the dealer notate/care if I have a JB1 installed if I'm just there for an oil change?

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Totoro,

Can you post the logs from the various settings you tried, including map 0? Also are you still seeing very high IAT? The symptoms sound like heat soak.

Being that you have 6MT you would probably benefit from map 6 with more mild settings in the lower RPM's. I wasn't seeing the symptoms you were, but from what I understand the 6MT has a higher boost request than the DSG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Skian, most of the logs I did were posted on this thread already. I haven't logged IAT recently since I don't have VCDS. I do have OBDEleven. I don't think it's as simple as heat soak, though I think it can be a factor. I could be cruising along at 120 kmh, engine oil temps are down at 107C and if I floor it, it could still do this. So at highway speeds, and not pushing it on the track, I shouldn't be having any heat soak at all.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Have you always had this issue since install? Or is it something that started to happen weeks later etc

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I would say days rather than weeks. If I remove the module, it runs fine. I don't feel any hiccups from 2800-3200 rpm, if there was it is almost imperceptible, to the point where I don't think a dealer would think there's anything wrong with the car. What I can't be 100% sure is whether the car now pulls as hard as a stock car should. My butt dyno is all skewed from all the power I had lol.

Last edited:

WalterKohn

Ready to race!
Silly question, but does anyone else worry about getting your oil changed at the dealer while tuned with JB1?

Will the dealer notate/care if I have a JB1 installed if I'm just there for an oil change?

It's plug and play for this reason. Just unplug for dealer trips. A dealer can and will note aftermarket mods.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

skian

Ready to race!
Hi Skian, most of the logs I did were posted on this thread already. I haven't logged IAT recently since I don't have VCDS. I do have OBDEleven. I don't think it's as simple as heat soak, though I think it can be a factor. I could be cruising along at 120 kmh, engine oil temps are down at 107C and if I floor it, it could still do this. So at highway speeds, and not pushing it on the track, I shouldn't be having any heat soak at all.

Your logs i remember seeing about a month ago looked normal for map 0 and map 1 set to 3psi. Thats now not the case? Is your RPM still erratic in the logs on any setting?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hi George, we did run logs though of the car with lower PSI, and you said there's still issues with the boost dropping and overboosting. I ran logs all the way down to 3 PSI and even Map 0, and you said at Map 0 it didn't look totally normal. Not saying the JB1 specifically is causing it, but it's real problematic if I can't recreate the problem with the box taken out. I met a service adviser at VW that said they would be willing to help me on my car if I take the box out, but now I can't recreate the problem without it!

The log may not be normal because of the rpm signal not looking write. This could be the data cable messing around that you use for logging.
On your car the boost is higher than it should be. The JB is doing what it is meant to do and is adding exactly what is requested. Your base boost though is too high that this is being added onto. The goal is to either find the underlaying cause of this or to lower the boost on the JB to the point that the car runs well. The target is to have 22psi peak boost, you have 24psi at the moment. The car will not run well otherwise.

I sent you a new unit so we could correct the rpm signal issue in order for you to utilize map 6 and sort out the rpm. It does not mean a new unit will fix a underlying issue.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Your logs i remember seeing about a month ago looked normal for map 0 and map 1 set to 3psi. Thats now not the case? Is your RPM still erratic in the logs on any setting?

Yes I remember there was Map 0 that looked ok. But a few weeks back I logged Map 0 and the RPM line was also erratic. The 3PSI line looked better but the boost was still over-modulated, with ups and downs and cuts here and there.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Yes I remember there was Map 0 that looked ok. But a few weeks back I logged Map 0 and the RPM line was also erratic. The 3PSI line looked better but the boost was still over-modulated, with ups and downs and cuts here and there.
The boost line follows the ECU request. The JB does not request absolute boost ignoring the ECU since it will take the safety ability out of the car forcing boost to go through. Anyway lets see what occurs with the new unit and take it from there.

don16

Ready to race!
I would say days rather than weeks. If I remove the module, it runs fine. I don't feel any hiccups from 2800-3200 rpm, if there was it is almost imperceptible, to the point where I don't think a dealer would think there's anything wrong with the car. What I can't be 100% sure is whether the car now pulls as hard as a stock car should. My butt dyno is all skewed from all the power I had lol.
And this problem is still present on map 0??? Which should be stock

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
And this problem is still present on map 0??? Which should be stock

Map 0 - feels fine. But has an erratic RPM line in the log.

Taking out the JB1 feels fine too, but now I have no way of logging RPM line, but it feels fine as well. Here is the car with +3.5 PSI.

3rd gear 3.5 Log.jpg

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Map 0 - feels fine. But has an erratic RPM line in the log.

Taking out the JB1 feels fine too, but now I have no way of logging RPM line, but it feels fine as well.

Here is your map 0 log. The rpm signal is fine in this one.
What is erratic is the ECU's boost request which is in black. Pink and blue is the actual boost at at the two sensors.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Here is a Map 0 snapshot where the requested boost was fine. I don't remember when each one was sent though.

While the RPM line is erratic, we don't know if it's erratic because of the cam position sensor, the JB1, or it only appears erratic because there is an issue with boost modulation.
Map 0.jpg

Last edited:

don16

Ready to race!
Here is a Map 0 snapshot where the requested boost was fine. I don't remember when each one was sent though.

While the RPM line is erratic, we don't know if it's erratic because of the cam position sensor, the JB1, or it only appears erratic because there is an issue with boost modulation.
View attachment 6503
I think I am experiencing the same issue as what you describe... I thought it was the dsg box but seeing this I am now not sure. I get the same shuddering feeling in the same rpms again only when car is warm and only when WOT. George what's your thoughts on this as it does sound as if Toronto is having similar if not same issue as what I have been having, again on map 0 car is fine (can't replicate issue)

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
I think I am experiencing the same issue as what you describe... I thought it was the dsg box but seeing this I am now not sure. I get the same shuddering feeling in the same rpms again only when car is warm and only when WOT. George what's your thoughts on this as it does sound as if Toronto is having similar if not same issue as what I have been having, again on map 0 car is fine (can't replicate issue)

How's your RPM line? Erratic when extra boost is thrown in the mix?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk