GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB Stage 1 Released

jerry426

Try get a 2nd to 4th log with JB and send to george@burgertuning.com . Its pretty high. Uf it knocks the throttle will close and you will feel hesitations.

Last night it was warmer outside and I did notice the hesitations and VAGCOM logging showed some timing pull. I was not able to get decent logs due to limited road length and no helper in the car to run the computer.

So I went back to map 6 and tweaked the numbers until all noticeable hesitations were gone from 1500 to redline and I still have the +5.4 values at 4000 and above. Playing with the values below 4000 seems to have eliminated the ECU controlled throttle closures.

When time and pavement permits, I will do more testing, get better logs, and tweak as needed to minimize timing pull.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Last night it was warmer outside and I did notice the hesitations and VAGCOM logging showed some timing pull. I was not able to get decent logs due to limited road length and no helper in the car to run the computer.

So I went back to map 6 and tweaked the numbers until all noticeable hesitations were gone from 1500 to redline and I still have the +5.4 values at 4000 and above. Playing with the values below 4000 seems to have eliminated the ECU controlled throttle closures.

When time and pavement permits, I will do more testing, get better logs, and tweak as needed to minimize timing pull.

Cool so 5.4 is the happy place for the weather conditions you have.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion

Can you share your settings in the MAP 6 thread? Really awesome that you got +5.4 to work for you.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'm trying to be good and wait until my car has some miles on it before I get mine. The excitement threads make it hard to hold back!

LeGti

Ready to race!
My JB1 comes in today. No grown man should be this excited about anything

Ha! Right there with you!! I installed it the minute it was delivered, like a kid playing under the Christmas tree :)

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Ha! Right there with you!! I installed it the minute it was delivered, like a kid playing under the Christmas tree :)

Hahaha I spent all work thinking "Do I really need this job?" "I can just quit now and be home 2 hours earlier to install it".

I did install it last night and I'll make a longer review of it but here are my first impressions with about 100 miles on it thus-far...

First of all the price was ~$428 with the cable shipped. Shipping was fast and it showed up a day early. Upon opening the package my initial thought was "wow this looks cheap". It is definitely a cheap plastic exterior but that's not a big problem to me. Install was a joke. I had it installed in less than 10 minutes start to finish. (Also I'm amazed at how much easier the car is to work on then the MK4/5/6 cars). Anyways I started it up and drove for about 10 minutes slowly feeding boost in. My first WOT pull was a 2nd-4th run with my kid brother in the car. It definitely put a smile on our faces that's for sure. The best way I can describe the car now is it's like a stock power-band but with just "more". Off boost drive-ability is the exact same which leads me to believe the unit does nothing when off boost (can someone confirm). This unit would be a 10/10 for someone who wants a stock feeling car with much more push. For someone like me, the JB1 is only a bandaid until the real tunes are out that change the whole powerband. Again my only gripes with the JB1 is that it does not give the gains that a full-tune will and for someone like me, it will not be enough longterm.

In conclusion:

JB1 is a 10/10 for someone wanting a stock feeling car that is much faster.
JB1 is an 8/10 for me ONLY knocking points off for the fact that it is not a real tune with increases to drive-ability off boost.

For the money this is a fantastic unit that you can install and remove in less than 10 minutes for warranty work and that is wear it shines. I am happy with it, but I will be buying a real tune when they are available for my ECU code. If JB4 comes out I will probably go with that.

Also I can say that these cars fall into the category of cars that are faster than they feel. See there's car that feel faster than they really are (Turbo Miatas) and there's cars that are faster than they feel (BMW 335i, Mk7). Because the powerband is very non-dramatic, you don't get the same seat of your pants feel as some other cars but in the end you are going much quicker than your mind thinks you are. The highway on ramp that I take (Empty 24/7) is the only thing I have to get consistent data. Normally I can get up to ~82-84 by the end, with the JB1 I am close to reaching 100 probably ~98mph. The car is much faster.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hahaha I spent all work thinking "Do I really need this job?" "I can just quit now and be home 2 hours earlier to install it".

I did install it last night and I'll make a longer review of it but here are my first impressions with about 100 miles on it thus-far...

First of all the price was ~$428 with the cable shipped. Shipping was fast and it showed up a day early. Upon opening the package my initial thought was "wow this looks cheap". It is definitely a cheap plastic exterior but that's not a big problem to me. Install was a joke. I had it installed in less than 10 minutes start to finish. (Also I'm amazed at how much easier the car is to work on then the MK4/5/6 cars). Anyways I started it up and drove for about 10 minutes slowly feeding boost in. My first WOT pull was a 2nd-4th run with my kid brother in the car. It definitely put a smile on our faces that's for sure. The best way I can describe the car now is it's like a stock power-band but with just "more". Off boost drive-ability is the exact same which leads me to believe the unit does nothing when off boost (can someone confirm). This unit would be a 10/10 for someone who wants a stock feeling car with much more push. For someone like me, the JB1 is only a bandaid until the real tunes are out that change the whole powerband. Again my only gripes with the JB1 is that it does not give the gains that a full-tune will and for someone like me, it will not be enough longterm.

In conclusion:

JB1 is an 8/10 for me ONLY knocking points off for the fact that it is not a real tune with increases to drive-ability off boost.

For the money this is a fantastic unit that you can install and remove in less than 10 minutes for warranty work and that is wear it shines. I am happy with it, but I will be buying a real tune when they are available for my ECU code. If JB4 comes out I will probably go with that.

Also I can say that these cars fall into the category of cars that are faster than they feel. See there's car that feel faster than they really are (Turbo Miatas) and there's cars that are faster than they feel (BMW 335i, Mk7). Because the powerband is very non-dramatic, you don't get the same seat of your pants feel as some other cars but in the end you are going much quicker than your mind thinks you are. The highway on ramp that I take (Empty 24/7) is the only thing I have to get consistent data. Normally I can get up to ~82-84 by the end, with the JB1 I am close to reaching 100 probably ~98mph. The car is much faster.

Thanks for the review. The unit is active from 9psi and up, we have played a bit with some testing to make this user adjustable and some lower limit testing is required just to see at what point we have to cap it.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

In conclusion:

After going stage 1 (APR low output so similar power to this) I had the same impression. More power makes it hard to stay within the realm of legal speed limits.

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
Can't believe I read this entire thread. lol. Definitely interested in getting this, though likely will wait till spring since winter tires are on and I'd just roast them off (205/50/17).

I'm curious if anyone has a TCU tune for their DSG with the JB1, someone asked before but no one responded.

There also seemed to be more PP owners who were posting issues. George mentioned the PP makes more power by trailing the boost off a little later (If I read that right). I wonder if PP owners should all be using Map6 to custom their boost levels per rpm.

Tone1

Ready to race!

In conclusion:

Did you go in from the top or bottom for plug D? I'm planning on putting mine in on Sunday, and couldn't even see plug D from the top so I'm thinkin I'm gonna have to go underneath.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Did you go in from the top or bottom for plug D? I'm planning on putting mine in on Sunday, and couldn't even see plug D from the top so I'm thinkin I'm gonna have to go underneath.

Bottom, just do it right the first time. It isn't worth the struggle. All it takes is 2 drive up ramps. That ten minutes is including getting the ramps set up and driving up etc.

Thanks for the review. The unit is active from 9psi and up, we have played a bit with some testing to make this user adjustable and some lower limit testing is required just to see at what point we have to cap it.

Makes sense. Well good stuff so far, now get JB4 out :)

After going stage 1 (APR low output so similar power to this) I had the same impression. More power makes it hard to stay within the realm of legal speed limits.

I just went for a ride with some of my engineer friends. There's a road behind one of their houses that's very clean, twisty and empty. Without even realizing I got up to absolutely absurd speeds without even noticing. With my K04 car you'd feel like you are going that fast. In the MK7's you'd look down and say "Holy Fuck" and hit the brakes because you realize you would go to jail instantly if caught.