GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bigger! Oil cooler. Is it needed or possible?

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Hi guys.
I love to track my R. And I am using the best possible oil for the engine. I'm using a 10w-60 for track and summer oil. During winter I us 5w-40 or equal.

During hot laps I can get oil Temps up to 130-137 degrees. But during a cool down lap. The oil Temps drops quickly to 105-110 degrees.

Now I am thinking of the idea of maybe upgrading the stock engine oil cooler and possibly the DSG oil cooler during winter time.

Has anyone thought about the same? Is there a performance kit on the market?
I am not saying this is a problem, but would like to see lower temps during trackday events.

My car is APR stage 1 high torque tuned with APR TCU sw. Next season it will have stage 2 or maybe stage 3+

Please share your experiences and thoughts on this.

Thanks

USA

Ready to race!
Hi guys.
I love to track my R. And I am using the best possible oil for the engine. I'm using a 10w-60 for track and summer oil. During winter I us 5w-40 or equal.

During hot laps I can get oil Temps up to 130-137 degrees. But during a cool down lap. The oil Temps drops quickly to 105-110 degrees.

Now I am thinking of the idea of maybe upgrading the stock engine oil cooler and possibly the DSG oil cooler during winter time.

Has anyone thought about the same? Is there a performance kit on the market?
I am not saying this is a problem, but would like to see lower temps during trackday events.

My car is APR stage 1 high torque tuned with APR TCU sw. Next season it will have stage 2 or maybe stage 3+

Please share your experiences and thoughts on this.

Thanks
Funny you bring this up. I asked for a better oil cooler yesterday and found out nobody makes one. Let us know if you find one.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Thicker oil doesn't do anything for protection. It's an old wives tail. What thicker oil does do, is increase oil temps. You might try dropping down to a 5w-40 and see how your temps do. Considering the car is normally speced for a 40 or 30 wt oil, 40 would be on the upper end you'd want to run.

You can read all about this type of stuff at BITOG
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

One ferrari owner put his money where his mouth was, and ran 5w-20 in his car, his temps dropped massively at the track, and his engine wear actually dropped.

It's hard to get out of that old mindset of thicker is better...it can actually be far worse!

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Thicker oil doesn't do anything for protection. It's an old wives tail. What thicker oil does do, is increase oil temps. You might try dropping down to a 5w-40 and see how your temps do. Considering the car is normally speced for a 40 or 30 wt oil, 40 would be on the upper end you'd want to run.

You can read all about this type of stuff at BITOG
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

One ferrari owner put his money where his mouth was, and ran 5w-20 in his car, his temps dropped massively at the track, and his engine wear actually dropped.

It's hard to get out of that old mindset of thicker is better...it can actually be far worse!

I am total 100% on this.
My oil maker is testing the 5w-40 race spec oil (same as the 10w-60 I am using) on the Lamborghini race team. The car with the "new" 5w-40 oil had a lower oil temperature. So now they are using this oil.
I was informed about this last week. Will test this....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thicker oil helped my beater mk3 2.0 Jetta oil pressure problem, so if you still have some 10w60 around save it for if your car ever makes the 300,000 club lol

But anyway let us know your results

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Jake,
That can definitely help on an older platform. On newer platforms though, it can be detrimental, especially with low miles! I'd actually run 0w-30 in the GTI if it was available from amazon in 5 qt jugs!

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Did anyone tried to clean the coolers/cores before and saw any effects?

italynstylion

Ready to race!
How hot is TOO hot for the oil temps? What would be the upper range for oil temps at the track? I see about 215F pretty much constantly when I'm driving normally but I've not observed the temps at the track.

SRoads

Ready to race!
How hot is TOO hot for the oil temps? What would be the upper range for oil temps at the track? I see about 215F pretty much constantly when I'm driving normally but I've not observed the temps at the track.

270 F is getting to the upper limit of most synthetic oils. 255 F you need to start watching it...I would never want to go much higher without have a pressure gauge. You're starting to be behind the curve on oil pressure; once you get into this area at the track you should probably lay off for a lap and let it cool. If it doesn't cool or continues to increase while laying off a couple tenths then you should discontinue your session. If you're getting into this area you are probably over driving the stock brake pads...so get better pads and fluid...

Are these temps a little on the conservative side....yes probably. Also removing the weather seal from the rain tray will get more air running through the engine bay and decrease temps for track days.

If you are getting really serious about track days (more than a couple per year), doing extended sessions (more than 20 min) without cool down couple cool down laps, plan on doing them in 85 F+, or don't want to worry about temps... get better pads and fluid....and...

http://byiabed-com.3dcartstores.com/MQB-EA888-Oil-Cooler-Kit_p_13.html

as stated....

remember always... 2 condoms, mom on speed dial, engage safety squints, and if its not broke... you're not trying hard enough.

Last edited:

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
I like the complete kit. But I would like to reuse the stock cooler position.
Maybe the kit is not ready yet and pictures are just for show.
The R Has its own front mount cooler radiator in left and right lower front bumper corner.
I would think a new and better/more effective radiator is enough?

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Since you track, have you consider an uprated CNC aluminum oil sump which helps with reducing the engine oil temp too?

Please share more info? Any links...