Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
@notavr's MK7 GTI with our GS2 shift knob:

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
WOW - the response from everyone for our GS2 shifts knobs has been tremendous! :eek: Ever since we debuted the red limited edition shift knob, all three GS2 shift knobs (silver, black & red) sales have skyrocketed which is a good problem to have, but that also caused us to sell out of GS2 shift knob components.

What this means is, all GS2 shift knobs will have a lead time of at least a few weeks. Fortunately, there are still some red limited edition shift knobs up for grabs, but they're going fast! If you want to be one of one-hundred, don't hesitate to get your order in because once we hit one-hundred that's it! :cool:

The Wiry Irishman

Ready to race!
There's an easier way....use acrylic paint, let it dry, use non-acetone nail polish remover within a couple hours and bring it back flush.

Here's the general concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSoxjTsaV1E

That's how I usually do this sort of thing, but there's very little difference in elevation between the background and the raised letters and images, and the edges between the two aren't crisp, but fairly rounded. (Its not obvious from their images, but the coins are less than 1/16" thick) I tried several times, but there's no way to do it without taking off the paint on the raised portions and the background at the same time.

When that technique doesn't work, I'll let the paint dry and do it with increasing grits of sandpaper and a mirror (to keep it flat) and finish off with polish. That won't work either because the coins aren't actually fully flat. Sanding and polishing like that would run the risk of removing some of the raised print altogether.

The only way I could make it work was to painstakingly handpaint the background portions, then delicately clean up any runover onto the raised portions with high-grit sandpaper on a pencil eraser.

If the coins were thicker with a crisper, deeper background it would have taken 10 minutes of work instead of 3 hours.

The Wiry Irishman

Ready to race!
Also BFI - have you ever considered doing these knobs in stainless steel? I love mine, probably the best looking knob out there right now, but they're also probably the lighest "heavy" knob out there too. Your knobs are fairly small, too, I bet you could add another quarter to half an inch of diameter and still have it fit the average hand comfortably with a 500+ gram weight. If you did that, and offered red and blue coins as well to match GTI/Golf R accents, I'd probably end up buying one for every car I'll ever own.

Last edited:

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
Also BFI - have you ever considered doing these knobs in stainless steel? I love mine, probably the best looking knob out there right now, but they're also probably the lighest "heavy" knob out there too. Your knobs are fairly small, too, I bet you could add another quarter to half an inch of diameter and still have it fit the average hand comfortably with a 500+ gram weight. If you did that, and offered red and blue coins as well to match GTI/Golf R accents, I'd probably end up buying one for every car I'll ever own.

We'll continue to offer different variations of our shift knobs as time goes on - different color materials, anodizing, coins, etc.

You'll just have to stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.