GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best way to put power to the ground

Bought a 17 GTI DSG non pp a few months back. Quite enjoying the car, and would love to add more to it, but since it's under warranty, I'm avoiding doing to much until it's out of its warranty period. I've added a jb4, but literally everything else is bone stock. Running map 1 I tend to spin tires in second if I don't ease off the throttle enough. So, what's the best way to get power to the ground? I know changing to better tires would help, but I'm not in a position to spend 800 bucks on new tires, when my shitty stock tires still have treat. I'm considering the revo mount, since I could keep it when more power is added. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Bought a 17 GTI DSG non pp a few months back. Quite enjoying the car, and would love to add more to it, but since it's under warranty, I'm avoiding doing to much until it's out of its warranty period. I've added a jb4, but literally everything else is bone stock. Running map 1 I tend to spin tires in second if I don't ease off the throttle enough. So, what's the best way to get power to the ground? I know changing to better tires would help, but I'm not in a position to spend 800 bucks on new tires, when my shitty stock tires still have treat. I'm considering the revo mount, since I could keep it when more power is added. Any suggestions?

I'll share what little I know and what I've picked up from others!

Honestly your best, and first bet, are tires. A nice set of sticky summer tires are going to really change the car for you. But, as you say, they aren't cheap. Like you I'm letting my Hankooks wear through before I upgrade to a summer tire.

I recently installed an 034 Dogbone Insert into my MK7 GTI and I'm enjoying it. Wheel hop is gone and the DSG shifts more crisply; acceleration feels a bit more responsive. It helps clean up transmission slop and put more power down to the wheels. If you take the time to install it right the increase in noise and vibrations is minimal. After two weeks I don't even notice it anymore.

There are more complex engine/transmission mounts available; others who have experience with them can chime in if they provide any benefit along what you're looking at.

But, yeah. Tires. They're the only thing on the car that is supposed to be in contact with the road, so fundamentally they're going to have a powerful impact on putting power to the ground.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I'll share what little I know and what I've picked up from others!

Honestly your best, and first bet, are tires. A nice set of sticky summer tires are going to really change the car for you. But, as you say, they aren't cheap. Like you I'm letting my Hankooks wear through before I upgrade to a summer tire.

I recently installed an 034 Dogbone Insert into my MK7 GTI and I'm enjoying it. Wheel hop is gone and the DSG shifts more crisply; acceleration feels a bit more responsive. It helps clean up transmission slop and put more power down to the wheels. If you take the time to install it right the increase in noise and vibrations is minimal. After two weeks I don't even notice it anymore.

There are more complex engine/transmission mounts available; others who have experience with them can chime in if they provide any benefit along what you're looking at.

But, yeah. Tires. They're the only thing on the car that is supposed to be in contact with the road, so fundamentally they're going to have a powerful impact on putting power to the ground.

Can you tell me about the dogbone insert? I've been thinking about a dogbone to reduce wheel hop on 1st gear hard acceleration but have read a lot of conflicting reports. I understand the 034 is used with the stock dogbone and works well. How do you like it and does it significantly increase NVH?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Good example why one should buy tires first.
The car can spin OE tires stock.
Piggyback it and guess what? It spins more.
Where do you live?
If warm area then buy summer tires.
If your tires are new see if Firestone or some other place will buy them as a trade. You can get a good summer tire for under $800.
Firestone has a new Indy 500 tire. I have not used but those on forum who have like it. I have seen in person and the tire looks good and is similar to my Bridgestone RE-11's. Cost around $110. If they credit your used tire then less.
Here is a video.

If you are running JB4 then complete the project and buy tires.

https://youtu.be/Df4genT9erk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

Sounds like you already have a grasp on what you need...

Tires are THE number one mod to get better traction to the ground.

The second best mod is engine mounts. 034 has a great pair of mounts for the engine and transmission. There's very little in the way of NVH with these:
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...a3-s3-tt-tts-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r.html

All the reviews I've read on them confirm that NVH is at stock levels but engine movement is reduced quite a bit.

That leaves the "dog bone" mount that has the remaining slop. Revo & HPA have two of the best dogbone mounts that you can get.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
R matey...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

One does not have to have an R to put GTI power down.
PP and summer tires will do it for 99% of us 100% of the time unless we are Tanner Foust and most of us are not.

Always the answer - R.

The river is flooding, what should we do? R!
A storm is coming what should we do? R!
The Persians are coming and there are only 300 of us! What should we do? R!

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
Was actually thinking about getting their stage 2 mounts and pairing it with the revo lower torque mount.

Oh yeah by all means if cost and ease of installation is not an issue that's definitely a great way to go. I do believe though that the lower torque mount makes a bigger difference than the upper mounts (I have 034 upper mounts and didn't notice hardly any difference)

Oh yeah by all means if cost and ease of installation is not an issue that's definitely a great way to go. I do believe though that the lower torque mount makes a bigger difference than the upper mounts (I have 034 upper mounts and didn't notice hardly any difference)

After comparing the cost of the whole stage two bfi set up, I'll probably just go that route. The revo insert just looks so much beefier that I wanted to do it, but if the stage 2 insert does a good job with the others, then I can't really justifying spending another 120 bucks. Also probably gonna look into selling my used tires and some other mk6 golf stuff I have laying around and getting some tires to help.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
BFI stage 2 insert or full BFI mounts (all three)

Revo is way over priced.

034 is almost the same as stock (trans and engine) and their dog bone insert is known bend and crack.

The OEM upper mounts will wear out and get (believe it or not) even worse than how terrible they were off the showroom floor. No staying BFI or nothing, but I've had them almost 70,000 miles between two modded GTI and they've been great on the street and track

Schumm122

One does not have to have an R to put GTI power down.
PP and summer tires will do it for 99% of us 100% of the time unless we are Tanner Foust and most of us are not.

Always the answer - R.

The river is flooding, what should we do? R!
A storm is coming what should we do? R!
The Persians are coming and there are only 300 of us! What should we do? R!

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here yet on this thread, but have you thought about a Golf R?