GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tyres for GTD

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

It's the time where my GTD needs a new set of front tyres and I would like some advice as to the best tyres to fit to the car. I do approx. 400 miles a week and most of these are motorway miles so I would quite like a tyre which doesn't wear too quickly but still has some grip in the wet. I think the tyres which are currently on the car (Bridgestone potenzas) are the originals and these have lasted 19000 miles so I have been quite happy with these for general driving about, but I have been looking at some Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3's as they seem to be available at a very reasonable price - any thoughts on these or recommendations as to a fairly good alternative?

Thanks

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I agree with breaking badly. The assymetric III has little difference with it's predecessor according to driver reviews and tests. It was dated when replaced and had it's issues with flat spots and balancing. The PS4 gets great reviews and has a treadwear index of 320*. For comparison, the PSS has 300 which also lasts if driven with respect. And the aforementioned index is fixed for each tyre manufacturer, not the entire tyre industry. According to reviews it's the best road tyre you can get.

*These numbers apply for the stock tyre size of thE GTD, 225/40/18.
Just get the Y92, you'll thank me in the summer.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Michelin PSS

Michelin PSS

ROBK75

Ready to race!
I've had Bridgestone S001 (the original tyres), Michelin PS3 and Michelin PSS on my GTD.

I found all three quite similar in terms of noise and longevity, but the PSS are by far the best tyre for all round performance.

Not tried the PS4 but I'd be surprised if they were better than the PSS.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Jamie

Have a look at the Autoexpress 2016 summer tyres test/review for some useful comparisons.

1st - Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
2nd - Pirelli P Zero.
3rd - Continental Contisport Contact 5.
4th - Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2
5th on - Others

Full reviews of each tyre.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
It's not that one is better than the other, it's a matter of what you
expect from your tyres. The PSS is still stellar in steering precision
and dry handling, while the new PS4 is better in the wet at least
and probably a bit more compliant riding.
Both are great tyres. The PS4 is great in the dry as well, but the
PSS will even be better still. That's why Michelin is giving you this
choice.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
But these advantages in dry conditions you will only have benefit of if you track your
car. And a GTD is probably a car that is not tracked that often. So the better allround
tire seems to be the PS4 (if we can trust the tests). Or am I wrong?

If we talked about a sometimes tracked R I would definitely say PSS.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI

t-800

Passed Driver's Ed
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3's here.

Superb tyres.

aew003

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently replaced all 4 tyres with Michelin 225/40 R18 (92) W PILOT SPORT 4 XL. Much better than the OEM tyres.