GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Badge removal

mondo

Ready to race!
No idea if this has been asked before, I did a search and came up with a zillion results..

I plan on debadging the car (GTD)
What I am interested in removing is the rear GTD logo and the side emblems on the front fender
I know these are held on with 3M super-duper-sticky stuff, but is there a "trick" for easy removal of the standard badges?

As for the factory tape glue residue removal, I know WD40 breaks down any sticky stuff and makes it easy to remove with the help of a soft lint cloth, and a final isopropyl alcohol rubdown to remove any traces of the WD40..

mondo

Ready to race!
Thanks Sandman, I will dive into my fly fishing kit and give this a bash over the weekend

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Dental floss has been used with excellent results.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Dental floss has been used with excellent results.

I was going to suggest this as it is what I used, but dental floss does not hold up well. Took many pieces but did get it off. I hear fishing line holds better. Start with lower weight line and once you get started place a wedge under the lifted edge to help keep off car. Easier to pull line back and forth.
Also if you have heat gun or hair dryer you can heat badge up before you start. Helps some. Careful on heat and paint.

Also wear gloves. Saves hands from line or floss.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I've used fishing line and dental floss. Dental floss breaks easier, so you need to double it up. Like Sandman said, hook it under one end and saw toward the other, keeping the ends pulled slightly toward you to avoid any paint abrasion. Hug the emblem, not your paint surface. When the badge is gone, you can pick at any large chinks of remaining adhesive, and then hit the more difficult spots with Goo Gone. Move quickly with the Goo Gone and then rinse it thoroughly and profusely and then wash the spot and even throw some wax on it for good measure.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I just stepped on Sandman. Great minds think alike.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Hair dryer, bug remover and a little patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk